Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Moving to New Mexico
jim_hoyland
post May 24 2017, 10:21 AM
Post #21

Get that VIN ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Rio Rancho shot of Joe O'Briens series nine builds. The WCR ( aka Atomic Ramble) was hosted at the Turtle Brewing Co. A good time was had by all

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post May 24 2017, 02:07 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

Is it just here or are all the beer joints named after animals ( turtle mountain, boxing bear, stumbling steer, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 24 2017, 03:49 PM
Post #23

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I could use a new trailer. Could you post your route with planned stops please? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

What? Too soon? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Madswede
post May 24 2017, 09:40 PM
Post #24

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ May 24 2017, 02:07 PM) *

Is it just here or are all the beer joints named after animals ( turtle mountain, boxing bear, stumbling steer, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Heheh it's because there's a marketing craze going for beer serving establishments to mimic the old British public house, or "pub" for short. Since they've been around for centuries, the oldest pubs catered to frequently illiterate folk and had signs with images on them rather than written words (or in addition to them). Sometimes those images included animals, if not often. Hence the way they are named today in the US, though it has been taken to new heights (or depths) in both the US and the U.K.

Nico named Turtle Mountain both in homage to this principle and in honor of his Dad who was Native American from the Pueblo Oke Owingeh in northern New Mexico. In his Dad's language (Tewa), the name of the dominant ABQ mountain translates to English as "Turtle Mountain" ... and it was Nico's Dad's name too! The Spanish colonials named it after their word for watermelon, or "Sandia" ... probably because of the color similarity when the famous NM sunsets light them up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
afpreppie04
post May 24 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 21,128
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just joined up here (actually this is my first post) but I'm looking at picking up a 914 as soon as my motorcycle sells, and I also live in Rio Rancho, pretty much across the street from the Fat Squirrel. I didn't realize there were so many local 914s, I rarely see any around!
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post May 25 2017, 02:28 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373

I live in the 4 Corners (Durango, CO) and ABQ is easy to get to - easier than Denver anyway - nowhere is easy to get to when you live in Durango! But I rarely have a reason to leave other than Porsches and Pinball. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have three 914s in the herd, one I have owned since 1978 (yeah I am an old guy!)
+Quote Post
snakemain
post May 25 2017, 02:53 PM
Post #27

Ronin Member

Member No.: 11,232
Region Association: None

I'll be out more driving during the day once school kicks off again in August and both my kids are finally in full-day school. I'll be out of town June and part of July traveling.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Jun 1 2017, 04:17 PM
Post #28

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831

QUOTE(afpreppie04 @ May 24 2017, 10:06 PM) *

Just joined up here (actually this is my first post) but I'm looking at picking up a 914 as soon as my motorcycle sells, and I also live in Rio Rancho, pretty much across the street from the Fat Squirrel. I didn't realize there were so many local 914s, I rarely see any around!

I have a line on a running 72 914 in Los Alamos. PM sent to you soon with contact info if you're interested! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
afpreppie04
post Jun 1 2017, 10:27 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 21,128
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to follow up with my earlier post. The 914 I was looking at ended up selling, and I jumped on another car to have fun in the twisties. It's not an MR chassis, and only has a 4 speed, but if you see someone going around in a faded green MG Midget give a wave, if I see a 914 I guarantee I'll be looking your way!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:53 PM