Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Windshield wiper parts, Are parts to fix the wipers available?
skjl47
post May 24 2017, 01:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,957
Region Association: None

Hello; I plan to look at a 914 Saturday with the hope it is worth buying. So far the only problem mentioned by the seller over the phone is that the windshield wipers do not work. He does not know why. My question being are these parts the more common or are they among the more rare. I am thinking of all parts in the wiper assembly and I know this is a broad question area.

Back in the day when I owned a 914 for about 12 years (from 1974 to 86) I had a failure of the wipers. One of the metal rods that was a part of the assembly which moved the wipers snapped. I believe I had to replace the entire assembly. parts were likely easier to come by back then.

I guess to be more specific, is this an area for which parts are so rare as to be a real problem?

I may have a better idea of the specific part needed after looking at the car this weekend.

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 24 2017, 01:41 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Used assemblys are still cheap $35-75. But more often it's electrical.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 24 2017, 04:53 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 25 2017, 07:41 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I would start with the wiper switch ,mine cleaned up ok but it was pretty worn,then it failed again and I fitted a spare ok so far.
One problem I had was the electrical plug wire retainer on the end of the switch wasn't assembled properly so the power wire wasn't connecting and simply popped out of the holder,some JB weld sorted that.
I remember feeding power direct to the motor to confirm it was ok before I put my fuel tank back in,not sure if you can with it in.
Best to knock the seller down on this issue and be prepared to spent some time on it yourself.
+Quote Post
skjl47
post May 24 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 24 2017, 06:53 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I would start with the wiper switch ,mine cleaned up ok but it was pretty worn,then it failed again and I fitted a spare ok so far.
One problem I had was the electrical plug wire retainer on the end of the switch wasn't assembled properly so the power wire wasn't connecting and simply popped out of the holder,some JB weld sorted that.
I remember feeding power direct to the motor to confirm it was ok before I put my fuel tank back in,not sure if you can with it in.
Best to knock the seller down on this issue and be prepared to spent some time on it yourself.

Hello; Thanks good to know the parts are still available.
+Quote Post
skjl47
post May 26 2017, 08:03 PM
Post #5

Hello; Went to look at the 914 today. No joy on what may be the problem with the wipers. A visual inspection was not possible as too much blocking the view of the mechanicals. So that leaves everything and possibly pulling the fuel tank.

A significant problem reared up. The seats have been replaced. The replacement seats are too tight for my behind and are too high in the car. The seats will have to be replaced so I will do a search or stock seats to check on the cost and availability.

Also appears there is front corner damage on the passenger side somewhere in the cars past. Front trunk does not line up right and there are wrinkles in the bracing under the front trunk lid.

Car starts, runs, drives, stops and shifts well enough. I made an offer which he turned down . Maybe just as well.
+Quote Post
skjl47
post May 27 2017, 06:04 AM
Post #6

Hello; Here are two photos of the car problem areas.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
skjl47
post May 27 2017, 06:06 AM
Post #7

Hello; Here is one more photo

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
branston
post May 27 2017, 07:11 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 15,053
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(skjl47 @ May 24 2017, 09:43 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 24 2017, 06:53 PM) *

Hello; Thanks good to know the parts are still available.

I've just been through this hassle, wipers refused to work and after removing them from the car I discovered wiper shaft seized in the bushing it rotates in - this is common with many VW's too. Tearing it down was a bear as it was solidly seized. Once freed up it worked perfectly. I didn't replace pitted shaft just cleaned it up and greased it well. works just fine.
+Quote Post
skjl47
post May 27 2017, 07:59 PM
Post #9

Hello; Thanks for the tip. Maybe it is like the clutch and brake pedal bushings that would sieze. I have replaced those bushings on 914's and a 72 911 for people I know.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post May 27 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #10

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

I saw that 914 on CL... asking price is very optimistic. From the photos in the ad it definitely has some cosmetic issues.

If you end up buying it, I have seats and other parts, if needed.

This photo shows a patch of the area cut out for a/c install - not necessarily accident damage.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-15957-1495886571_thumb.jpg)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
skjl47
post May 27 2017, 10:04 PM
Post #11

Hello; Thanks for the comment. It was the seller who told me he thinks it was hit in the right front. That sides headlight does not always operate properly and the front trunk hood does not fit right.

The car does not now have AC but I get that it may have at some point in the past. This is a type modification I am not familiar with.

May I ask what a set of stock seats might cost. I have pretty much decided not to go for the car at the current asking price. The cost of replacement seats I found on e-bay and Automobile Atlanta was a part of the decision.

Yes The ad is on Craigs list in Knoxville TN area. You might contact the seller about the seats as the seats now in the car are a big draw back. I am currently just over five feet eight inches ( I use to be a bit over 5 feet 10 inches but seem to have shrunk as I approach 70)
My head was just touching the top when I first sat in the seats and the seller had to tilt his head over to the side. Even if he does not buy them, the availability might be of use to him.

Thanks again
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 08:05 PM