Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Speedo Failure
bd1308
post May 11 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Sir Post-a-lot

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,501

I was driving and the speedo was stuck on 60 the whole way home. Stopped at a light and it went to zero and never moved since. The odometer works perfect but the speedo hardly works at all. I took it apart and found grease all over the cup that is connected to the needle...grease all over everything. Is this normal? Should I grab another speedo, or use a bike speedo?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post May 11 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #2

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

did ya check the speedo cable?
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post May 11 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #3

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

use a bike speedo.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post May 11 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #4

Sir Post-a-lot

speedo cable was fine.....the odometer was doing awesome...ticking miles by and by ...where is the angle drive? I wanna see this thing. Already have the car on RaMpS
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 11 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

follow the cable to back of the car...........
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post May 11 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #6

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

First time I've heard of the speedo failing but the odo working. Usually the other way around. Can't be the cable if the odo works.

You can look for a speedo shop in your area to see if you can get it fixed. Or send it to PA or NH Speedo to have them fix it (expensive). Or buy a VDO electronic speedo that reads off a VW speed sensor adapted to your cable (about the same in price). Or buy a used speedo off Ebay (not so expensive). Or use a bike speedo (Sigma Sport BC800, goes up to 188mph, has both trip and regular odos, switchable between mph and km/h, about $25).

Bad things about bike speedos: they don't have lights in them, so you can't see it in the dark unless you cobble up something; rigging up the magnet and sensor are sometimes a real pain. You'll need to attach the magnet more or less permanently to something (I used superglue when I did this on my Mini), and you'll need to make up a bracket to hold the sensor reasonably still and within 4mm of the magnet. Any wobbling of the sensor mount will throw off the speed reading. They look like a digital watch is stuck to your dash.

Good things about bike speedos: you can calibrate it to within 0.01mi or 0.1mph of being exactly correct if you have the patience; they work even in reverse; no cable to fail.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post May 11 2005, 07:08 PM
Post #7

Sir Post-a-lot

QUOTE (lapuwali @ May 11 2005, 06:44 PM)
First time I've heard of the speedo failing but the odo working. Usually the other way around. Can't be the cable if the odo works.

You can look for a speedo shop in your area to see if you can get it fixed. Or send it to PA or NH Speedo to have them fix it (expensive). Or buy a VDO electronic speedo that reads off a VW speed sensor adapted to your cable (about the same in price). Or buy a used speedo off Ebay (not so expensive). Or use a bike speedo (Sigma Sport BC800, goes up to 188mph, has both trip and regular odos, switchable between mph and km/h, about $25).

Bad things about bike speedos: they don't have lights in them, so you can't see it in the dark unless you cobble up something; rigging up the magnet and sensor are sometimes a real pain. You'll need to attach the magnet more or less permanently to something (I used superglue when I did this on my Mini), and you'll need to make up a bracket to hold the sensor reasonably still and within 4mm of the magnet. Any wobbling of the sensor mount will throw off the speed reading. They look like a digital watch is stuck to your dash.

Good things about bike speedos: you can calibrate it to within 0.01mi or 0.1mph of being exactly correct if you have the patience; they work even in reverse; no cable to fail.

bike speedo was a joke.......I'm going to the VW shop to see if the guy has a VW speedo i can use for the time being, or if he actually has a VDO speedo...these damn things look so simple, and it looks.....WAIT a sec. I think i got it.
+Quote Post
ben1440
post May 11 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,688

not trying to steal the thread or anything, but what is the deal if the speedometor works but not the odometor. Is that the speedo or the cable?
+Quote Post
bd1308
post May 11 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #9

Sir Post-a-lot

somebody hold my beer.....™

there is a gearset that advances the odometer, and when the factory made these guages, they didnt score the rod when putting on the gear, so when year 30+ rolls around, they strip and dont work, IE the gear spins but the rod doesnt.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 11 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE (ben1440 @ May 11 2005, 06:22 PM)
not trying to steal the thread or anything, but what is the deal if the speedometor works but not the odometor. Is that the speedo or the cable?

think about it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) ....no cable, and nothing will work (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Demick
post May 11 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #11

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

QUOTE (ben1440 @ May 11 2005, 06:22 PM)

There's a good article on Pelican on how to fix that. Common problem.

Demick
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:00 PM