Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Overheating problem SOLVED!, Wished I'd known where to look
Randal
post May 11 2005, 06:39 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

Finally know what caused those hot (265 degree) runs at Buttonwillow.

It wasn't the oil cooler size or placement. Of course I've spent lots of money and time chasing the oil cooler size and placement, as that HAD to be the problem! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sawzall-smiley.gif)

It wasn't the tuning, which was totally checked and re-checked. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)

The only mechanical thing in my oiling system, other than the accusump and the pump (we had lots of pressure) is the little stainless steel ball that sits in the housing that bolts to the engine. It says VW on the housing, but I'm not sure whether it is stock or not.

In any event, if that little ball comes out of its housing, i.e., if the top ring holding it in place fails, you no longer get oil to the filter, or to the oil cooler for that matter.

Brad wins the prize (yet again) for making me cut the oil filter apart to discover that it was "clean," like unused. Next we took the housing apart and sure enough, the SS ball was totally out of it's housing.

Live and learn.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Randal   Overheating problem SOLVED!   May 11 2005, 06:39 PM
Travis Neff   So, how do you fix that?   May 11 2005, 06:48 PM
nebreitling   could you take a picture of the offending part? i...   May 11 2005, 06:53 PM
tat2dphreak     May 11 2005, 08:32 PM
Randal   I'll post some pictures after I pick up the pa...   May 11 2005, 09:41 PM
trekkor     May 11 2005, 09:48 PM
Randal   Trekkor, Jake tells me we are about three weeks a...   May 11 2005, 10:33 PM
nine14cats   I've been down since July 4th, 2004....

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:18 PM