Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1972 914-6 Subaru EZ30D swap
achman_73_2.0
post Jun 2 2017, 01:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,577
Region Association: Upper MidWest

This is Bob's (BIGKAT) old car that he built.

My third 914.

1972 Porsche 914 with a Subaru EZ30D flat-six swap, including Subaru transaxle. This swap effectively fixes the two problems with a 914--no power and horrible shifting. With 240 fuel-injected and water-cooled horsepower and a smooth-shifting Subaru 5 speed, this car can more than hold it's own against modern cars, with style that they just can't match.

--1972 914, dry, very minimal rust, in trunk--Olympic Blue (originally Irish Green)

--240hp EZ30D flat-six cylinder water-cooled swap from Subaru Tribeca SUV

--EZ30D is a twin-cam, VVT, all aluminum block and head, 3.0L with timing chains. Advanced engine, found in the Subaru Tribeca SUV. No leaks. ECU is a Megasquirt, can easily be hooked up to a computer for tuning. I have not touched it since I got it.

--Subaru 5sp transaxle also (very rare conversion, find another). The transmission is flipped around, and the rear output is blocked off, and the front wheel drive is used for the rear wheels of the 914. Pretty slick.

--16" genuine Fuchs, Hancook Ventus tires, Porsche 911 front brakes and suspension, Koni and upgraded springs on rear, chassis stiffening kit welded in

--Nice driver-quality interior, Scheel seats, genuine Momo Prototipo steering wheel, power windows even.

--Driver-quality paint that shines up nice. Not a show car. A nice driver.

This is not some thrown-together swap.

Car is turn-key.

Doesn't stall, do weird stuff, etc.
I start it after 2-3 weeks in the garage, it fires right up, idles fine.
Does not "need a tune" or any of the typical swap stuff.

This car is very quick. 240hp and 2300lbs makes it Cayman S quick. Pulls hard in 2,3,4 gear. Watch the videos.

I've driven it an hour+ on the highway at a stretch with no issues. Local roads, Home Depot, taken it shopping, car shows, etc. In traffic at 90 degrees, no problem. Custom radiator and twin Spal fans, and the aluminum engine keep it cool.

8,200 miles on swap.

What I have done:
--Replaced the windshield last month (took 6 months to get a real Sekurit one) for over $1200 (old one was cracked)
--Completely erviced it and did oil change etc.
--Added a genuine Porsche 914-6 badge in the correct place. Took 6 months to get that too.
--Rewired fog lights correctly, they work now.
--Bolted in seat correctly.
--Fixed tach, was reading incorrectly.

Contact with questions but please, seriously, no time-wasters.

$22,500 on Craigslist

$19,500 OBO for 914World members

Selling due to overwhelming garage renovation to house my other cars.

Paste link into browser

Underside and additional pics:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByfzN_xiK...WGpTQWtsNXc1bTg

Intro Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAdrSwlUh_4&t=2s

Overview Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=046rvhy9ogY&t=1s

Cooling system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_IokEHG0mM&t=20s

Drive to Home Depot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHhCkk01FdY&t=403s

Drive from Home Depot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqgb0hKMZDQ&t=3s

Independent review from Glenn's Car Collection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5vRp8XDeRg

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Jun 3 2017, 12:39 PM
Post #2

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

Question: Is the EZ30D and EZ30R the same engine? Only reason I ask is one version is 212HP and the other is 245HP depending on where you look online.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jun 3 2017, 02:02 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

That engine is a EZ30d and rated at 212hp which is plenty. I had a EG33 in it first which is rated at 230hp. Seat of the pants power goes to the 30D engine it seemed faster. Might be I just had more time to learn Megasquirt.

Bob
+Quote Post
achman_73_2.0
post Jun 4 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 3 2017, 01:39 PM) *

Question: Is the EZ30D and EZ30R the same engine? Only reason I ask is one version is 212HP and the other is 245HP depending on where you look online.

It's an EZ30d with the aluminum intake. Not ez30d®

The additional power is from the Megasquirt tune and no CATs, headers and exhaust...give or take 5-10hp I guess. However this car is extremely quick. The torque is what is fun here, probably around 215lb/ft

EZ30d rated at 217hp, so 240hp is not out of question with the aforementioned improvements.
+Quote Post
achman_73_2.0
post Jun 4 2017, 01:18 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(achman_73_2.0 @ Jun 4 2017, 02:12 PM) *

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 3 2017, 01:39 PM) *

It's an EZ30d with the aluminum intake. Not ez30d®

The additional power is from the Megasquirt tune and no CATs, headers and exhaust...give or take 5-10hp I guess. However this car is extremely quick. The torque is what is fun here, probably around 215lb/ft

EZ30d rated at 217hp, so 240hp is not out of question with the aforementioned improvements.

Additional pics showing 5 lug conversion, rear brake setup, original Fuchs #, engine compartment, trunk area.

Brand new Optima Redtop battery yesterday, runs as smooth as ever. GoPro video soon.

https://goo.gl/photos/KQAf2h3D46pToutj7
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 6 2017, 03:18 PM
Post #6

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Do you have any data that reflects those HP numbers from your tuner. I'd love to advertise mine as having more that 212hp when the time comes to sell. Whomever buys this will be getting a good car. It was built by a damned good builder. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
achman_73_2.0
post Jun 6 2017, 04:46 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 6 2017, 04:18 PM) *

Do you have any data that reflects those HP numbers from your tuner. I'd love to advertise mine as having more that 212hp when the time comes to sell. Whomever buys this will be getting a good car. It was built by a damned good builder. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I do not have numbers from the tuner. I think Bob tuned it himself. EZ30D rated at 217hp from my research, and with the MS and headers/exhaust I don't think 240 is out of the question. I[m going on what I was told. If you drive it, you will agree it's probably 240hp.

Thanks
+Quote Post
achman_73_2.0
post Jun 6 2017, 04:51 PM
Post #8

GoPro video from Sunday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAzOhxfLTBs
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 10 2017, 10:11 AM
Post #9

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Great video but you might post a video with you stomping the crap out of it. I notice you never really put your foot into it. I have two different exhaust systems that I built for mine. One is more restrictive and hence quieter. The other is basically a straight thru system and I can definitely feel the HP difference betwixt the two. When the 30D can breathe it is quite impressive. If any of you guys are on the fence about this one, get off it. The builder is quite skilled and the drive train is awesome as well as reliable. GLWS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
moezilla
post Jun 10 2017, 11:03 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 10,600
Region Association: None

I might have tried to buy this if it were Yellow! Looking for a summer/sunflower yellow car.
+Quote Post
achman_73_2.0
post Jun 24 2017, 08:21 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 10 2017, 11:11 AM) *

Great video but you might post a video with you stomping the crap out of it. I notice you never really put your foot into it. I have two different exhaust systems that I built for mine. One is more restrictive and hence quieter. The other is basically a straight thru system and I can definitely feel the HP difference betwixt the two. When the 30D can breathe it is quite impressive. If any of you guys are on the fence about this one, get off it. The builder is quite skilled and the drive train is awesome as well as reliable. GLWS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks for the positive vibes. It's a great car and yes, due to traffic and neighborhood, I never really stomped on it. It's quick.
+Quote Post
achman_73_2.0
post Jun 24 2017, 08:21 PM
Post #12

SOLD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:34 AM