Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Gearbox or Clutch issues.....
falcor75
post Jun 6 2017, 12:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

I finally got my car driving after four years of restoration and it seems to work ok.
I have noticed a faint whining noise from the transmission, it goes away when coasting so its somehow related to the power transfer from engine to gearbox First I figured it might be my clutch adjustment but now I'm not so sure. I've read alot of threads the last week on clutch and clutch adjustment and mine doesnt follow the commonly agreed recomendations...

According to Dr Evils info the clutch should engage in the upper third of the throw, mine engages in the bottom third. (At speed with the clutch depressed the rpms jump up to the road speed in the second inch off the bottom.)

My pedal has no rearwards play in it as it seems it should have, If I loosen the double 11 mm nuts to get a bit of play I cant engage first gear without awful grinding noises...

My pedal set is overhauled with new bushings.
Clutch tube is firmly welded to the firewall
Flywheel and clutch and pressure plate are new.
Throwout bearing and the other wear parts on the clutch arm are new.
Got a new clutch cable on order. (I dont think its likely to be the culprit but I'll change it anyway)

I'm kind of out of ideas.... the car drives ok but its not as it should be accoring to all the threads I've read and this annoys me a bit.... I'll have to live with the whining noise this summer. I'll have the gearbox overhauled the coming winter....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 12:10 AM