Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What class did the 914/6 GT run prior to 1973
jmz
post Jun 6 2017, 06:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,886
Region Association: None

anyone know?

I run vintage with my local club and they put me in FIA so I run against the big American iron, 911 RSR and some other purpose built cars.

I think it might fit better in B Production...

Thoughts?

it is a twin plug 2.5 GT spec car.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 6 2017, 06:38 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It didn't race in scca in the gt form.
It was a 2.0/6 without gt flares in scca

I don't think it raced fia with anything other than a 2.0

The 2.5 was an imsa motor

It may have raced in a rally or hill climb with a 2.5 but most vintage clubs recognize scca rules, fia, or occasionally imsa (but probably newer than 1973 with imsa)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jun 6 2017, 07:44 PM
Post #3

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

In my understanding...HSR (or SVRA, can't remember which) recently decided that the 2.5 liter version of the 914/6 GT would run with the big boys. John Forbes here in NC ran with more "like" cars since forever, and just this past year they put his 2.5 GT car in with the big muscle cars, RSR's etc. For whatever reason, they have an issue with this spec car in vintage...John's a long time racer with them and is considering being done with it all because of this...and all the politics...
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Jun 6 2017, 08:20 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,570
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I run with VRG (Vintage Racer Group) on the east coast. We're all there just to be safe and have fun. They are pretty good with their classifications. They just changed the spec for the classes this season, but we're still the same racers, with the same cars running multiple classes in our run groups.

I have a 2.4L 914 and my new classification is, DPv - Production sports and GT cars through 1972, generally under 2700cc. Our run group usually has Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, Ford GT40s, Jags.....even the occasional CanAm car. I don't expect to win overall, however I try to do well within my class.

Some of the racers also race with HSR and SVRA and vice versa. I just enjoy vintage racing and don't need to get so caught up with who I'm on the track with in VRG. However, I have run with another group and a couple of us teeners asked to be moved down a class because we were getting run over by the really big boys in a big way. That really wasn't any fun at all.
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 6 2017, 10:24 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

QUOTE(naro914 @ Jun 6 2017, 07:44 PM) *

... For whatever reason, they have an issue with this spec car in vintage...

My guess is that they are holding more to the actual 1972 rules of motor/specifications of how they the cars actually raced in the rules of those years.
Svra is pushing authenticity and their "gold medallion" program with trans-am and others...

As all of these vintage cars become more valuable, it's a good business decision
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 7 2017, 08:13 AM
Post #6

914 Wizard

sorry I'm rambling...
here is the train of thought I followed:

SVRA hired Steve Earl onto their strategic team a year ago

I'm guessing that they would love the vision of building a series of prestigious events (in the mold of the Monterey Historics)

they have already for 2 years been pushing that and are really trying to build up an Indianapolis feature this year, and the Sonoma event for a couple of years, making them much more exclusive

my guess is that the big money would love the exclusiveness of bringing out the very rare and authentic cars to a traveling road show of higher level spectator events.

and spectator tickets are a huge future source of income...

so I predict they will continue to tighten up some of the rules and try to draw crowds with exclusive cars that are more and more authentic.

the gold medallion cars are guaranteed entry to any of their exclusive events already if they receive gold medallion status
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jun 7 2017, 08:31 AM
Post #7

Losing my mind...

Brant
I suspect you are correct.
However...(not disagreeing with you, disagreeing with SVRA) there WERE 914's that ran in IMSA with 2.5 liter engines through the late 70's. So they DO have real racing history. Heck...you can run a 1 year old Porsche Cup Car!! How is that "Vintage"??

the thing is...they still let these 914's run, but put them in a group where they get run over.
+Quote Post
jmz
post Jun 7 2017, 09:39 AM
Post #8

So I think I'm hearing that I should simply just run where they put me and enjoy this fun-mobile.

The car can hang with some of the shelby mustangs and corvettes and they are acutally fun to run with...We run group 1 with A productiion, A sedan/Trans Am, A Sports Racing, B Production and lastly FIA/IMSA guidance. I'll never be able to be a front runner unless I go hog wild crazy $$ and then probably not anyway.

I'm not overly concerned just looking for some data as I kind of thought the 914/6 2.5 GT may have had standing to run in B Production.

Cheers,

JZ
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jun 7 2017, 09:50 AM
Post #9

Losing my mind...

Yup....
For example: me racing Huey at the Hawk Vintage race - Road America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3qTwlTXJKg
+Quote Post
slivel
post Jun 7 2017, 11:42 AM
Post #10

Old car....... older driver

Member No.: 2,332
Region Association: Southern California

VARA has added some classes. GTL - up to 2 liter, GTU - up to 3 liter, GTO - over 3 liter.
I.6 GT CLASSES (Newly Added)
Provisional Rules for IMSA, FIA, Trans Am “GT” Cars
This Group consists of select GT Sports Cars and Sedans as raced up to 1999. Such as IMSA, FIA-GT,
Trans Am, SCCA GT classes, and other professional race cars as raced in recognized pre-2000 racing
series. These cars are prepared as all out race cars with tube or semi-tube chassis. We anticipate any car
of this type eligible for SVRA Group 10 will be welcome at VARA.
All cars must have been built or modified so as to compete in a recognized pre year 2000 racing series.
Some exceptions may be made upon specific approval of VARA. It is the responsibility of the competitor to
identify the series the car competed in and prepare it accordingly.

They also have have a new catch all class:
J.11 CR CLUB RACING CLASS (Newly Added)
J11.A This group will be comprised of cars that do not fit VARA’s regular vintage eligibility rules, but are properly prepared race cars.
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 7 2017, 12:25 PM
Post #11

914 Wizard

QUOTE(naro914 @ Jun 7 2017, 08:31 AM) *

Brant
However...(not disagreeing with you, disagreeing with SVRA) there WERE 914's that ran in IMSA with 2.5 liter engines through the late 70's. So they DO have real racing history. Heck...you can run a 1 year old Porsche Cup Car!! How is that "Vintage"??

the thing is...they still let these 914's run, but put them in a group where they get run over.

Bob, I agree... I know they ran in IMSA with that 2.5 motor.
but what I don't know is what year that started.
I have the 1976 imsa rules, and the 2.5 was legal then

I'm almost positive that did not start back prior to 1972 though
I would guess maybe 1975 -ish... but definitely not 1972

so its tricky with rules that changed every year
the original poster may get to argue he is an imsa car based out of 1975 (if the club he is pursuing even accepts imsa 1975-1976) But then he would still get placed with the RSR's and other 1976 sheet metal.

I'm almost positive that in 1972 there were no 2.5L 914's running in a recognized sanctioning body like FIA, SCCA, IMSA

I know that the FIA gt cars were 2.0
I know that scca C production cars back in 1972, were also 2.0 discplacement

the problem is that the 2.5 motor didn't exist until later years (IMSA) so the drive train that is in the car is just not a legal 1972 drive train
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 7 2017, 12:26 PM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Brant

Bob, I agree... I know they ran in IMSA with that 2.5 motor.
but what I don't know is what year that started.
I have the 1976 imsa rules, and the 2.5 was legal then

I'm almost positive that did not start back prior to 1972 though
I would guess maybe 1975 -ish... but definitely not 1972

so its tricky with rules that changed every year
the original poster may get to argue he is an imsa car based out of 1975 (if the club he is pursuing even accepts imsa 1975-1976) But then he would still get placed with the RSR's and other 1976 sheet metal.

I'm almost positive that in 1972 there were no 2.5L 914's running in a recognized sanctioning body like FIA, SCCA, IMSA

the problem is that the 2.5 motor didn't exist until later years (IMSA) so the drive train that is in the car is just not a legal 1972 drive train

its that old saying...
"Read the Rules, First"
and use a motor combo that was legal for the year you want to fit into
+Quote Post
jmz
post Jun 7 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(brant @ Jun 7 2017, 01:25 PM) *

Brant

In truth the rules were at minimum bent back when these cars were new. I'm betting that legal or not some maybe many of the 914/6 GT cars would have been running a 1970-72 2.5 litre 911 ST type motor.
+Quote Post
jmz
post Jun 7 2017, 01:41 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(naro914 @ Jun 7 2017, 10:50 AM) *

Yup....
For example: me racing Huey at the Hawk Vintage race - Road America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3qTwlTXJKg

Nice video... only watched the start but will watch the rest later. Strange, strange, strange to see that modern white BMW in the mix.
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 7 2017, 02:15 PM
Post #15

914 Wizard

QUOTE(jmz @ Jun 7 2017, 01:37 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jun 7 2017, 01:25 PM) *

Brant

In truth the rules were at minimum bent back when these cars were new. I'm betting that legal or not some maybe many of the 914/6 GT cars would have been running a 1970-72 2.5 litre 911 ST type motor.

I have the print out of the full FIA spec sheets from the 914GT
trust me the FIA did not bend the rules.
every little nut and bolt was covered... those lemans' cars were 2.0

I think IMSA was loose with rules... but when the cars were actively campaigned new, they weren't bending the rules at the time.... once the cars became non-competitive and old... they were probably bent

brant
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jun 7 2017, 03:27 PM
Post #16

Losing my mind...

Brant, Just curious because I honestly don't know much about vintage classes/racing...what is the magic about 1972? You keep bringing that year up as a defining year.

??
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 7 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #17

914 Wizard

QUOTE(naro914 @ Jun 7 2017, 03:27 PM) *

Brant, Just curious because I honestly don't know much about vintage classes/racing...what is the magic about 1972? You keep bringing that year up as a defining year.

??

Most of the vintage clubs use it as a cut off year for eligibility

A few use older years. A few use newer years.
But 1972 is the most common year used for vintage clubs and I'm assuming that is why the original thread was looking for rules prior to 73
+Quote Post
jmz
post Jun 9 2017, 10:34 AM
Post #18

out of curisoity, Does anyone know of a good forum that is specifically dedicated to vintage racing?

Thanks for all the input to my original question as well.

Cheers,

JZ
+Quote Post
gms
post Jun 9 2017, 12:20 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The grouping of the 914 is based on the level of preparedness and the prejudices of the race sanctioning body.

In the early 1970s when the 914 raced it was in the under 2.0L or GT class of the FIA. FIA categorized automobiles by the displacement of the engine and allowed performance type modifications if 500 cars were built as such. IMSA generally supported the same rules as FIA with a little more leeway on modifications. The lower class GT car were limited to 2.5L in 1971 and increased to 3.0L by 1987 after which the 914 was disallowed.

The SCCA is a totally different animal, they feared their events becoming a Porsche show so they categorized cars in a more performance based class system (such as the new IMSA). The 2.0L 914/6 was pitted again the 2.4L Datsun 240Z in the C-Production class and on the high speed tracks (including the championship at Road Atlanta) the Datsuns prevailed.

It has been my experience that the vintage groups prefer the performance classes and not the more logical engine displacement categories so we suffer racing dragsters that park it in the corners and ruin our momentum... so get used to it or buy a vintage Corvette or Mustang.
+Quote Post
jmz
post Jun 9 2017, 01:01 PM
Post #20

just reviewed the SVRA rules. I'm guessing I'll be group 10... Possibly 12.

I won't run with them much but would like to do the COTA race.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:23 AM