Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Specialty Gauge, Restoration & Repair
914_7T3
post Jun 12 2017, 11:10 PM
Post #1

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

Update 12/15/2018

This post now redacts a glowing endorsement of this vendor. Time has shown since the initial post that although this vendor does excellent work, there has been spotty communication and lengthy delays on more than one transaction. As a result, please exercise your own due diligence in working with this vendor. Thank you.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 13 2017, 12:20 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

The big boys in this field tend to believe they are special,other guys turn up and it must bite them hard,besides the electrical work the cosmetics aren't rocket science.
Same with wheel restorers with 6 month + turnaround ...just crazy.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 13 2017, 04:42 AM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

That's true of everyone but Harvey for fuchs. He's where you go for perfection.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 13 2017, 08:20 AM
Post #4

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 13 2017, 03:20 AM) *

The big boys in this field tend to believe they are special,other guys turn up and it must bite them hard,besides the electrical work the cosmetics aren't rocket science.

Wanna bet? I'd put Harvey and his guys up against anyone. Yes, you wait, but then you compare the result? Yes, perfection...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jun 13 2017, 10:09 AM
Post #5

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Calvinator2016 @ Jun 12 2017, 10:10 PM) *

Wanted to forward along the contact info for Cory @ Specialty Gauge. They restored my clock to 100% as new condition while keeping the original movement (Non-Quartz).

The hands were refinished along with new glass & bezel at a very reasonable price. They are based in VA and had the work turned around in 3-4 days from receipt of the part.

So great to have a working clock back in the car. I would definitely use them again for any gauge restoration.

Willing to share the cost? I'm thinking about restoring my non-functioning clock.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jun 13 2017, 10:38 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 13 2017, 07:20 AM) *

Wanna bet? I'd put Harvey and his guys up against anyone. Yes, you wait, but then you compare the result? Yes, perfection...

Yes, but can he get a 914 clock working? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jun 13 2017, 10:40 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 13 2017, 09:09 AM) *

Wanted to forward along the contact info for Cory @ Specialty Gauge. They restored my clock to 100% as new condition while keeping the original movement (Non-Quartz).

The hands were refinished along with new glass & bezel at a very reasonable price. They are based in VA and had the work turned around in 3-4 days from receipt of the part.

So great to have a working clock back in the car. I would definitely use them again for any gauge restoration.

Willing to share the cost? I'm thinking about restoring my non-functioning clock.

Actually found him on Ebay through the below link. It was extra for the lens & bezel replacement so more in the range of $150 for all the bells & whistles. I was quoted more than double that locally and they would have had to switch over to a quartz movement.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-912-91...Diq&vxp=mtr
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 13 2017, 01:48 PM
Post #8

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Calvinator2016 @ Jun 13 2017, 01:38 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 13 2017, 07:20 AM) *

Yes, but can he get a 914 clock working? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Actually probably he could. He was the manager of the parts department at Sierra Porsche+Audi in Riverside when our cars were new. He's an RGruppe member with a Carrera. I wouldn't be surprised if he dug right into a clock too... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Jun 13 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #9

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

QUOTE(Calvinator2016 @ Jun 13 2017, 09:40 AM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 13 2017, 09:09 AM) *

Actually found him on Ebay through the below link. It was extra for the lens & bezel replacement so more in the range of $150 for all the bells & whistles. I was quoted more than double that locally and they would have had to switch over to a quartz movement.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-912-91...Diq&vxp=mtr

Thanks for sharing your experience...good to know.

BTW, Since I saw you last at Pelican's Car and Coffee I see you've been moving along on your 914 project...good going, can't wait to see it in the near future.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Take care
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 15 2018, 12:36 PM
Post #10

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Called & spoke to Cory to inquire about his service.
I then sent him an inop late Quartz-Ziets console clock to repair & refurbish in October.
Let him know I was traveling for work, in no hurry, and to contact me when it was done figuring a week or two is no big deal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
Nearing end of September I'm preparing to return home & realize I've heard nothing from Cory so I reach out via email.
Sorry - but the email address advertised (web page/Facebook) does not exist. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
Called him & was told hes out of town but will find out whats going on with my clock & get back.
A couple days pass & he emails (different email address) me that its done & provides an E-invoice to pay.
Cool, done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
I return home, a week's passed & I haven't received anything.
I call leave msg.
3 days pass nothing.
Call again, this time I get him, promises to provide a status & tracking # by next day.
3 more days.
This cycle goes on, & on.
A month now from paying the invoice after being told its done, 8 weeks more its been in his possession
& I still have no clock or any response with a concrete answer as to whats going on.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
I understand being the chief cook & bottle washer having a million things to manage & track ...but I feel this is unreasonable.
I think I may be being scammed.

I called & reached him a couple days ago. New story: shipped & returned as undeliverable ~ ?
I call (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) on that! He used Paypal as his CC processor. It confirms your shipping address prior to processing & will print out the shipping label for you!

Two more days pass I get an email with a tracking # - WOW!
I subscribe to tracking updates.
Another two days pass, guess what.. shipper (USPS) still haven't yet received the pkg. the label was created for.

Time to call VISA & cover my base's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Perhaps its all a mistake and I may yet get my clock back, but based on my experience Id think twice about using Specialty Gauge.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 15 2018, 12:43 PM
Post #11

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

That's not a good experience Werke (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I sent my 964 speedo to Cory and it was a total of 9 days from when I sent it to when I got it back, and the price was less than others quoted
+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 15 2018, 01:09 PM
Post #12

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Bob B
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Dec 15 2018, 06:45 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 15 2018, 10:36 AM) *

Called & spoke to Cory to inquire about his service.
I then sent him an inop late Quartz-Ziets console clock to repair & refurbish in October.
Let him know I was traveling for work, in no hurry, and to contact me when it was done figuring a week or two is no big deal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
Nearing end of September I'm preparing to return home & realize I've heard nothing from Cory so I reach out via email.
Sorry - but the email address advertised (web page/Facebook) does not exist. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
Called him & was told hes out of town but will find out whats going on with my clock & get back.
A couple days pass & he emails (different email address) me that its done & provides an E-invoice to pay.
Cool, done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
I return home, a week's passed & I haven't received anything.
I call leave msg.
3 days pass nothing.
Call again, this time I get him, promises to provide a status & tracking # by next day.
3 more days.
This cycle goes on, & on.
A month now from paying the invoice after being told its done, 8 weeks more its been in his possession
& I still have no clock or any response with a concrete answer as to whats going on.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
I understand being the chief cook & bottle washer having a million things to manage & track ...but I feel this is unreasonable.
I think I may be being scammed.

I called & reached him a couple days ago. New story: shipped & returned as undeliverable ~ ?
I call (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) on that! He used Paypal as his CC processor. It confirms your shipping address prior to processing & will print out the shipping label for you!

Two more days pass I get an email with a tracking # - WOW!
I subscribe to tracking updates.
Another two days pass, guess what.. shipper (USPS) still haven't yet received the pkg. the label was created for.

Time to call VISA & cover my base's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Perhaps its all a mistake and I may yet get my clock back, but based on my experience Id think twice about using Specialty Gauge.

Rich,

After the clock repair, I had sent all my 5 remaining gauges to Cory last year in October with payment via check. Also had a similar experience with delays and being hard to reach. After an extended period, I did receive everything back in early January and the work was top notch.

I believe I updated a similar thread on WORLD at the time to let the community know that outside of lengthy delays and poor communication that all turned out well, however they should use the PayPal feature for payment for buyer protection.

Based on your experience that sounds a lot like mine, I have updated the top post by deleting the contact info.

If you need additional contact info for them, please PM me. Thanks.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:02 AM