Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gauging interest for a 914 breather/puke tank, for 914/6 but could be modified to use on any engine combo
mmascari
post Jun 14 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,850
Region Association: None

I would be interested as well. I have been contemplating buying the PMS kit but I like the way yours is designed to fit.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 14 2017, 10:01 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Quote...oil puking out from a shit breather filter and all that.....hhhmmmm ,not happening with mine using the same system,the stock system was a hose back to the air filter neck if I remember,done some hard driving in mine and do see fumes which I presume is from moisture....never seen any oil vapour in 593kms of driving.
Any oil I may have will return back to the filler neck and return to tank,still remains clean to this day.Attached Image

Some may have other idea's but I really like the design and think this would be great for a wet sump 4 that's see's some AX,racing or fast twisty corners action.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jun 14 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 14 2017, 09:01 PM) *

Quote...oil puking out from a shit breather filter and all that.....hhhmmmm ,not happening with mine using the same system,the stock system was a hose back to the air filter neck if I remember,done some hard driving in mine and do see fumes which I presume is from moisture....never seen any oil vapour in 593kms of driving.
Any oil I may have will return back to the filler neck and return to tank,still remains clean to this day.Attached Image

Some may have other idea's but I really like the design and think this would be great for a wet sump 4 that's see's some AX,racing or fast twisty corners action.

Is that a gas shock attached to the hinge of the rear trunk hood/bonnet?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 15 2017, 01:05 PM
Post #24

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Looks like I have to play with my nipples a bit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

The outlet is pointing right at a rain hat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
Easy fix (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

At least you know that the prototype design will be based on an actual install. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jun 15 2017, 05:25 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

FYI ordered cheap transition puke box waiting on this. Your design design is far beyond elegant. I am not a smart man (Forrest Gump) but this is clearly a quality solution.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 16 2017, 02:49 PM
Post #26

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

its more like steel brillow ,pretty heavy duty stuff and its been a lot of years since the old fella has done that and no breakdown issues. Mine is sealed as well (cant remove the media) with a small 1/4 inch hole in the top with no mist coming out but its there incase the bottom tube plugs up for some reason...I have not found a good way to mount mine yet !don't wanna drill holes ,I see your design is bolted to the rear fire wall , that looks good... I just cant do it that way...was gonna look at mounting under the car ?? but where.... BTW nice work Mr
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 16 2017, 03:34 PM
Post #27

that's what I do!

QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 16 2017, 04:49 PM) *
...I have not found a good way to mount mine yet !don't wanna drill holes ,I see your design is bolted to the rear fire wall , that looks good... I just cant do it that way...was gonna look at mounting under the car ?? but where.... BTW nice work Mr

Yeh.. I hate drilling holes as well, just a a necessary evil. I used riv-nuts, but self tapping screws would also work in a pinch.

If one was totally dead set against drilling holes there's a couple of factory holes close by on the engine/trunk firewall and if I made a bracket you likely could secure that with T bolts. I just don't know if all years 914's had these holes and in the same location.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 21 2017, 11:38 AM
Post #28

that's what I do!

Some smog hose and /6 tank questions.

I take it the vent off the oil tank itself goes to the top of the crankcase and is a 25mm ID hose
Is this correct?
And should this have the factory one way valve (PCV)? and should this be going engine to the tank?

The other vent that comes off the filler neck, to the puke tank and then to carbs, correct?
The outlet off my filler neck is again 25mm, but does it need to be 25mm ID hose to the carbs?
Seems to me you could use a much smaller hose.

The hole opening in rain hats is only 20mm and to me this would really only need to be standard 12mm ID smog hose.
Sure would bring down the cost on breather hose, the 25mm is $30 a meter and the 12mm is only about $12 a meter.

I don't know what the vent hose size is going into the stock MFI, CIS, motec intakes, can someone clear that up for me as well. Does this hose step down in size? Or is it 25mm (ID) as well

I'm using a DWD oil tank which I believe has all the same fitting locations and sizes as a stock tank.
Ben does your tank also have the vent holes in the same location as stock?

I hope to fix the prototype tank this weekend and I need to order hose.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 21 2017, 11:50 AM
Post #29

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Them green hoses were cheap ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-179-1255294222.jpg)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 21 2017, 12:47 PM
Post #30

that's what I do!

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 21 2017, 01:50 PM) *

Them green hoses were cheap ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Are those rad/heater core hose?
The guy at NAPA warned me that they would break down over time if used with oil.
He did say 1" fuel line would work and I thought about covering that with braided expansion sleeve. He didn't have 1" fuel hose but said I should be able to get it at a truck supply shop.

Not that it matters with my build, but personally I'm looking for a more correct looking solution.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 21 2017, 12:51 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 21 2017, 09:38 AM) *

Some smog hose and /6 tank questions.

I take it the vent off the oil tank itself goes to the top of the crankcase and is a 25mm ID hose
Is this correct?
And should this have the factory one way valve (PCV)? and should this be going engine to the tank?

The other vent that comes off the filler neck, to the puke tank and then to carbs, correct?
The outlet off my filler neck is again 25mm, but does it need to be 25mm ID hose to the carbs?
Seems to me you could use a much smaller hose.

The hole opening in rain hats is only 20mm and to me this would really only need to be standard 12mm ID smog hose.
Sure would bring down the cost on breather hose, the 25mm is $30 a meter and the 12mm is only about $12 a meter.

I don't know what the vent hose size is going into the stock MFI, CIS, motec intakes, can someone clear that up for me as well. Does this hose step down in size? Or is it 25mm (ID) as well

I'm using a DWD oil tank which I believe has all the same fitting locations and sizes as a stock tank.
Ben does your tank also have the vent holes in the same location as stock?

I hope to fix the prototype tank this weekend and I need to order hose.

Yes Mark same as stock on my tanks..
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 21 2017, 02:38 PM
Post #32

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 21 2017, 11:47 AM) *
Are those rad/heater core hose?
The guy at NAPA warned me that they would break down over time if used with oil.

I can get you the specs on them hoses tonight but it's been 10 years and no break down of any sort so i doubt they're going to disintegrate any time soon.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 25 2017, 06:41 AM
Post #33

MR.C

Attached Image

This is the one I made ! works perfect, in the picture I see a possible spot to mount a bracket
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 25 2017, 07:05 AM
Post #34

that's what I do!

Same area I mounted mine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I still have to cut and re-weld the bungs, but I think I have the hose to weber rain hats figured out for a nice super clean install.
For weber rain hats I'm going to offer it as a complete kit, puke tank, all hose, fittings, grommets and hardware.

I'll try to post prototype pic's later today.

The weber kit would also work for a dual carb /4, but you would have to drill a hole in your air cleaner top.
I can easily make a version to use on stock FI /4's.

I still need to know what size hose from the puke tank to stock /6 intakes.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 25 2017, 09:39 AM
Post #35

MR.C

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 25 2017, 06:05 AM) *

Same area I mounted mine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I still have to cut and re-weld the bungs, but I think I have the hose to weber rain hats figured out for a nice super clean install.
For weber rain hats I'm going to offer it as a complete kit, puke tank, all hose, fittings, grommets and hardware.

I'll try to post prototype pic's later today.

The weber kit would also work for a dual carb /4, but you would have to drill a hole in your air cleaner top.
I can easily make a version to use on stock FI /4's.

I still need to know what size hose from the puke tank to stock /6 intakes.

You should also take into consideration the rubber stopper thingy that keeps the engine lid from hitting the trunk lid when its open ...sorta looks like your tank is right in line with that...no idea of the hose size
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 25 2017, 09:49 AM
Post #36

that's what I do!

QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 25 2017, 11:39 AM) *

You should also take into consideration the rubber stopper thingy that keeps the engine lid from hitting the trunk lid when its open ...sorta looks like your tank is right in line with that...no idea of the hose size

The top of the tank is a couple inches below the decklid. Just the picture depth of field.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 25 2017, 12:13 PM
Post #37

MR.C

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 25 2017, 08:49 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 25 2017, 11:39 AM) *

The top of the tank is a couple inches below the decklid. Just the picture depth of field.

Right on! again nice work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Jun 25 2017, 01:22 PM
Post #38

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

I'd be interested, anything is better than what i have now. Which is nothing... doh!
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Jun 25 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263

Definitely could be interested.
Needs to fit in there nice and tidy and not interfere with any of the air filter housings you normally see on 911 engines.

And needs to have the same size inlet/outlets so you can use a factory vent hose (the expensive one) if desired.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 26 2017, 06:37 AM
Post #40

that's what I do!

QUOTE(raynekat @ Jun 25 2017, 11:14 PM) *

Definitely could be interested.
Needs to fit in there nice and tidy and not interfere with any of the air filter housings you normally see on 911 engines.

And needs to have the same size inlet/outlets so you can use a factory vent hose (the expensive one) if desired.

I'm going to offer a couple of fitting versions,
Fittings are a minor issue so I haven't been actively researching them as of yet, just working the Weber rain hat version right now.

I need other dimensions for the inlet and outlets. 1" inlet is standard for the /6, got that. I have the standard hose version for rain hats figured out.
The /4 would only be how many inlets and outlets do I need?
Big one needed is what outlets for stock FI systems and ITG filters, just 25mm for stock and weber fittings for ITG filters?
And where does the stock outlet go direction wise?

I don't want too many "custom" versions, unless I'm being paid extra, but I don't mind say 3 different versions, Weber, stock /6 and /4.

So you're saying stock should be 1" (25mm) in and out? do you have a stock FI /6? Which one?
This fits in the left rear corner of the bay behind and under the hood release cable tube, no problem with Weber's and /4, but I don't know on stock /6 FI.

Right now I'm doing major surgery to the prototype to make it fit the Weber hoses and relocating the inlet. Also I still need to get some 25mm hose, plus I want to test it, so this whole project is at least a month out before I even think about starting production.

Below is how clean I have the hose install to the Weber rain hats, this hose and fittings will be included in the Weber kit. Two separate hose runs, no cross tube, I only like a clean install. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:53 PM