Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1.7 doesn't want to stay running
Tbone425
post Jun 18 2017, 12:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,065
Region Association: Southwest Region

So my 71 day for a few months. Went to start it and it started dumping gas at the injector elbows. I had to park it for a few months because I was in the middle of moving cross-country. Replaced the injectors and elbows as well as drained the fuel tank put a new filter. And fresh gas. Now it starts, wilnidke for a few seconds before dying. If gets gas it will choke and pop while the gas is pushed but then gets a little more run time. If I feather the gas quickly it will let the RPMs climb but continues piping and choking. I checked all of the vacuum lines and they seem to be fine, as well as the intake boot..no splits.

Thinking I would pull each injector and test it into a glass jar next. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks all!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jun 18 2017, 07:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Tbone425 @ Jun 18 2017, 02:31 AM) *

So my 71 day for a few months. Went to start it and it started dumping gas at the injector elbows. I had to park it for a few months because I was in the middle of moving cross-country. Replaced the injectors and elbows as well as drained the fuel tank put a new filter. And fresh gas. Now it starts, wilnidke for a few seconds before dying. If gets gas it will choke and pop while the gas is pushed but then gets a little more run time. If I feather the gas quickly it will let the RPMs climb but continues piping and choking. I checked all of the vacuum lines and they seem to be fine, as well as the intake boot..no splits.

Thinking I would pull each injector and test it into a glass jar next. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

Are the injectors the only thing you changed? And, what injectors did you get? Did you put on new seals with the new injectors?

If all you changed was the injectors, I'd start there. First, make sure you got the right injectors. Second, make sure the electrical plugs are connected properly to each one.

Finally, make sure the seals are seated and sealing properly. If the lower seals (the small ones) don't seal properly agains the manifolds, you'll get vacuum leaks. The upper seals need to be seated in the grooves of the injectors, so the hold-down clamps can push the lower seals into their seats.
+Quote Post
Tbone425
post Jun 19 2017, 12:19 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,065
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(BillC @ Jun 18 2017, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Tbone425 @ Jun 18 2017, 02:31 AM) *

Thanks all!

Are the injectors the only thing you changed? And, what injectors did you get? Did you put on new seals with the new injectors?

If all you changed was the injectors, I'd start there. First, make sure you got the right injectors. Second, make sure the electrical plugs are connected properly to each one.

Finally, make sure the seals are seated and sealing properly. If the lower seals (the small ones) don't seal properly agains the manifolds, you'll get vacuum leaks. The upper seals need to be seated in the grooves of the injectors, so the hold-down clamps can push the lower seals into their seats.

Thanks Bill. I have some green top injectors that I know work. Think the 1.7 would run on them to test if the yellow tops are the issue?
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jun 19 2017, 09:45 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Tbone425 @ Jun 19 2017, 02:19 AM) *

Thanks Bill. I have some green top injectors that I know work. Think the 1.7 would run on them to test if the yellow tops are the issue?

Did you buy new yellow-top injectors or used ones? If you bought used ones, that might be your problem -- once an injector has been used, it really doesn't like drying out. You should consider boxing them up with your original injectors and sending them out for cleaning & testing. With any luck, you'll end up with a complete set of matched injectors.

You didn't say if you used new seals or re-used the old ones. If you have the old ones in there, replace them with new seals before going any further. Depending on how old the seals are, they are probably not sealing correctly.

The green-top injectors are for 2.0L engines. They might work okay for testing if you turn the fuel pressure down some. However, I wouldn't recommend it -- you'll be introducing a new variable on top of the existing problem(s).
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:41 AM