Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Advice needed on outer suspension perch/console
doug_b_928
post Jun 18 2017, 07:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

I think that I'm best off to remove the outer suspension perch/console, but want to consult with the brain trust here. Here's a pic of the situation:

Attached Image

There is rust close to the perch, but the metal around it and on the left side of it passes the puncture test. I have the RD outer wheelhouse replacement piece and have been planning to remove the perch and use the whole piece. This seems like the best solution to ensure strength. However, when I removed the schutz on the perch I realized that it has wings/flanges that overlap the inner suspension perch, which looks very strong. It would appear to be very difficult to remove the whole piece. The few pics I can find suggest that people cut straight down the pinch weld line rather then removing the wings/flanges. It also appears that some have had a difficult time getting the perch off as I found one or two pics where they look a bit mangled after removal. Here's a pic of where I'd cut it if I go that route:

Attached Image

Removing would allow me to use the whole RD piece and give better access for cleaning up the inside. In the pic of the inside below, there is some rust repair needed but if I were to cut about an inch away from the perch on the outside I think I'd have sufficient access to replace the metal on the inside.

Attached Image

So, with that background, I'd like to know from those who have experience with this whether the benefits of removal of the perch outweigh the costs. How difficult is it to remove the perch without damaging it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 7)
bdstone914
post Jun 18 2017, 07:37 AM
Post #2

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Get a bore scope and see if you can get a look inside of the suspension console. From the looks of the rust on that car I would expect the inside of that part to be rusty. Lots of spot welds to drill out. You are probably going to need a new one.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
cary
post Jun 18 2017, 07:42 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Because they rust from the inside out I'd try and open up more of the cosmoline. On the outside wall the battery acid can run down behind the inner support and the outer skin and eat holes you can't see till its all off. My .02c.

Like Bruce said you'll probably need a new one.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Jun 18 2017, 08:11 AM
Post #4

Thanks for your help guys. I went out and took some shots of the inside (great idea). These are the best my scope can do.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Looks to my uneducated eye like a blasting and epoxy priming would fix it up. That's assuming I can get it off without ruining it. Are the suggested cuts in my pic above the best way to remove it (i.e., cut those wings/flanges rather than trying to remove them).
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 18 2017, 08:27 AM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I think you want to cut the reinforcement "wings" to remove console and then make or buy (RD is making them soon) replacements when you reinstall. If you are restoring this car to keep for a long time, I would r&r the outer console. It's a part that rusts from the inside out and it's not going to improve with age. There's no replacement from RD like the inner one but tangerine does have some parts to help repair. Scotty B did a really good photo essay on a repair for his dads car a couple years ago. Cary also has some good pics and explanation on one of his repair threads.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Jun 18 2017, 12:25 PM
Post #6

Thanks. I'll cut it down the pinch weld at the "wings" and report back after blasting. It will be a while before I get there. Hopefully RD will have theirs ready at that point.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 19 2017, 07:56 AM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I noticed on cary's thread that he mentions 914rubber for a supplier of them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 28 2017, 06:02 PM
Post #8

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Yes just need to add to the site I'll do that now.
mark
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:06 AM