Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine rebuild kit suggestions, Looking for less than a whole package.
BiG bOgGs
post Jun 21 2017, 09:48 AM
Post #1

The Bogus One

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,829
Region Association: South East States

Hello all! I am just finishing up the cleaning and inspection of my torn down engine, a stock 2.0L 76. I am planning on rebuilding it as a 2.0L with a Microsquirt taking care of fuel and spark. Inside of the engine the only "upgrade" I will be going for is a more modern cam.
While I am finding companies that provide complete rebuild kits, some of my parts like the crank are still good, and don't need to be replaced.
I am looking for companies that will help me build a complete kit around the parts I don't need to replace.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Jim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 21 2017, 09:54 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

You can get a list of parts you might want by talking with those guys at 914World.com. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) They sometimes know what they're talking about.

I'll start off the questions:
Why build a stock 2.0 and not a 2056?
+Quote Post
BiG bOgGs
post Jun 21 2017, 09:57 AM
Post #3

The Bogus One

A 2056 kit would be fine. I am just not looking to try to squeeze every possible HP out of this engine. I will be happy with a solid runner that I don't have to have always running on the edge of engineering perfection. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 21 2017, 09:59 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

It's just that stock pistons and cylinders are the same price as 96mm. So take the free upgrade. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 21 2017, 10:09 AM
Post #5

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 21 2017, 12:59 PM) *

It's just that stock pistons and cylinders are the same price as 96mm. So take the free upgrade. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The 2056 is truly an upgrade and I hate the way that word is thrown around - "I upgraded to BMW calipers dude!" No you didn't. At best it was a wash...

It's a nice bump in power and you could even use the stock EFI as long as you don't get cam-foolish. Call Original Customs. He can custom a kit for you. He even knows a thing or two about microsquirt...
+Quote Post
BiG bOgGs
post Jun 21 2017, 10:15 AM
Post #6

The Bogus One

Thanks for the info. I have followed some of the MS discussions on here, and know that McMark has been a positive contributor to all of the discussions. I haven't contacted him because it says on his site that his MS setups are only for his engine customers, and the engine services he has listed are not for just selling parts, but for the building of engines for his customers.

If there are other options not list on his web site I will be a very happy guy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 21 2017, 11:39 AM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(BiG bOgGs @ Jun 21 2017, 12:15 PM) *

Thanks for the info. I have followed some of the MS discussions on here, and know that McMark has been a positive contributor to all of the discussions. I haven't contacted him because it says on his site that his MS setups are only for his engine customers, and the engine services he has listed are not for just selling parts, but for the building of engines for his customers.

If there are other options not list on his web site I will be a very happy guy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Call him.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 21 2017, 12:07 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

I've heard Mark doesn't really answer his phone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

I'm not doing product sales anymore. They're generally too low in the cost/benefit department. But I'm contemplating posting all my 'secrets' instead.

The MicroSquirt is a perfect example, because me selling you a pile of parts skips the process where you learn the how and why. So when something goes wrong you're stuck trying to learn in reverse, which is harder. Then I spend a bunch of time helping troubleshoot the issues and then the cost/benefit really tanks, purely from a business perspective.

So I'd much rather spend time posting the info here, in these sorts of threads, where multiple people can benefit from the discourse -- and hopefully I can learn something from someone else as well.

Okay, back to the engine...
You're starting with a stock 2.0.
-->Your'e rebuilding the 2.0 heads? Ideally you'll build the shortblock and measure deck height before getting the heads rebuilt so you know what compression ratio you're at, in case you want your heads flycut farther.
-->How do you know the crank is good?
Rods should be rebuilt pretty much every time.
+Quote Post
jesse7flying
post Jun 21 2017, 02:56 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 20,281

Sounds like the beginning of a great thread!
+Quote Post
BiG bOgGs
post Jul 15 2017, 07:57 AM
Post #10

The Bogus One

Sorry for the long delay in replying. Family and life got crazy, but now that most of the troubles are over, I can get back to my fun stuff.

McMark
The reason I know my crank is still good is because I have had it inspected and polished at a local machine shop. I wouldn't know onerwise. Not much machine shop in my veins.

As with most if my rebuild, I am getting as much done locally as I can for my engine, but I just couldn't find a supplier.

Just one week before I started my vacation I had a new business move on to my route ( I am a UPS driver ) called Deutschmark auto. They are a supplier if VW parts. When I asked if they could get me parts for a 2L type 4 the owner said sure, and that he had a 914 and about enough parts to make three cars right in the back of his warehouse. For a moment I thought he was being a smart ass so I checked, he really does! So I guess my supply issues are solved.

Thanks for all of the input, not just on this post, but on all of the discussions on here that I get to read through to increase my knowledge .

Jim
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:29 PM