Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CVs or suspension bushings? & how to check?, things that go clunk in the rear
theleschyouknow
post Jun 25 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,967
Region Association: None

73 years 2.0 pretty much all original/stock

I was driving to work Thursday & when I pulled into the garage and made the pretty tight turns up the ramps I heard/felt a clunk in the rear end -sounded like pass side and seemed to most happen on right turns, at first. Later in the day I felt it at slow speed in a straight, I cant feel it or hear it at higher speeds but assume it's probably happening at speed as well

Search leads me to believe the likely culprit is the CVs or suspension bushings. Is there an easy way to check each to determine which or both or neither is responsible?

thanks for your help

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
cjl
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 25 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #2

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Jun 25 2017, 01:01 PM) *

73 years 2.0 pretty much all original/stock

I was driving to work Thursday & when I pulled into the garage and made the pretty tight turns up the ramps I heard/felt a clunk in the rear end -sounded like pass side and seemed to most happen on right turns, at first. Later in the day I felt it at slow speed in a straight, I cant feel it or hear it at higher speeds but assume it's probably happening at speed as well

Search leads me to believe the likely culprit is the CVs or suspension bushings. Is there an easy way to check each to determine which or both or neither is responsible?

thanks for your help

cjl

miles on the clock?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post Jun 25 2017, 02:22 PM
Post #3

182k give or take
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 25 2017, 02:38 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

At 182k - if accurate/known, then you're probably due.

Inspect the CVs/boots & suspension + engine/transaxle mount bushings 1st to see any obvious signs, then jack up that side, trans in neutral, turn that wheel & feel + listen for it to clunk or feel a bump as it turns, then probably one or both CVs on that side, but you' should change both CVs at any side due to wear on the other, & to avoid differential wear between the 2 if only one is replaced (i.e.: wear on the CVs being different, not inside at the differential/transaxle BTW).

If you have it on sturdy jack stands (pin-type - NOT ratchet-type) or solid blocks, then you can also try moving the wheel fore-aft, up-down to see if you get any suspension bushing &/or trans & engine mount bushing movement.

PS - if it's also or instead just the suspension &/or engine/transaxle mount bushings, then it's one of those "while you're in there" jobs & you might as well replace all bushings needed + both sides - since you'll be taking it all apart anyway, so make use of the work to get 'er all dun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post Jun 25 2017, 02:48 PM
Post #5

thanks Tom

pretty sure the mileage is accurate 3rd owner and have records back to the window sticker

I have pin type stands will get it up in the air & check & report back
thanks for the info

cjl
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:45 AM