Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help evaluate my car in NJ, What to do next
chewy71
post Jun 25 2017, 04:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,310
Region Association: None

Hi, I have had my 914 for about 7 years , with it on or off the road for mechanical issues at various times. I knew nothing about these cars when I bought it, but have made the necessary mechanical repairs to keep it going for at least some of the time.

I really enjoy driving it, but the time has come to take a look at the rust and decide if I should tackle it or continue to drive as is as long as I can. I believe many rust repairs were
made by previous owners but don't know how to evaluate.

The car does drive straight at all speeds and sits right. the doors close well and there does not appear to be any sag.

What I need is someone who knows more about these cars then me to help evaluate which course I should take. I would gladly pay a nominal fee for the help. I will also drive the car to your location and I am very flexible on time.

Not looking for much more than someone else's opinion. Nothing binding, no documentation required.

If anyone relatively local had time to take a look I would greatly appreciate it. Alternatively, recommendations for a shop to take a look are also welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Mike from Long Branch NJ 07740

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Jun 25 2017, 06:19 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Mike

There are several owners in NJ willing to help, but are mostly in the north, about 60 miles away. We're starting to have every other month tech sessions in Chester, NY, just over the NJ border. Not sure if you can make it up here, but would be happy to invite you to the next one, scheduled I think in the 3rd week of July. If not, posting detailed pictures on this site might help as others across the country could chime in.

Len
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Jun 25 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #3

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

Mike,

There may be some closer guys and options up north of you.But I'm willing to take a look and give a non professional look over. I have a low rise lift that will help to assess underneath. My place is in PA just over the Commadore Barry Bridge/322 if this is helpful.
+Quote Post
chewy71
post Jun 25 2017, 06:52 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Big Len @ Jun 25 2017, 04:19 PM) *

Mike

There are several owners in NJ willing to help, but are mostly in the north, about 60 miles away. We're starting to have every other month tech sessions in Chester, NY, just over the NJ border. Not sure if you can make it up here, but would be happy to invite you to the next one, scheduled I think in the 3rd week of July. If not, posting detailed pictures on this site might help as others across the country could chime in.

Len

Thanks for the response Len, Chester NY is about 100 or so miles away. I think that may be a little far for my 914 , not sure if it is up to a 200 mile round trip right now. However I could probably do the 60 to North Jersey if anyone could help outside of the tech session. No problem of course if not. I understand everyone is busy these days. Thanks for the invite to the Tech session.
+Quote Post
chewy71
post Jun 25 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(okieflyr @ Jun 25 2017, 04:23 PM) *

Mike,

There may be some closer guys and options up north of you.But I'm willing to take a look and give a non professional look over. I have a low rise lift that will help to assess underneath. My place is in PA just over the Commadore Barry Bridge/322 if this is helpful.

Okie,

Thanks for the generous offer. You are a bit further away than I am comfortable traveling in the 914 right now, but if no closer options turn up I will keep your offer in mind. Thanks again for the offer. The support on this site is fantastic.
+Quote Post
carking1996
post Jun 25 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 20,399

Feel free to post pictures, too. We can assess what we can from those and give a little insight (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
chewy71
post Jun 25 2017, 07:12 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(carking1996 @ Jun 25 2017, 05:02 PM) *

Feel free to post pictures, too. We can assess what we can from those and give a little insight (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks the pics are an excellent idea. I am going to take some of the relevant areas. From what I can tell my biggest concern is going to be the cowl area. Although I don't think I can tell how bad that area is until I open it up.
And honestly I think the car only has value to me as it has an amateur repaint and there are some areas of shoddy bodywork. It is also a run of the mill 75 with a 1.8. But I have grown quite fond of driving it in the summer. And I don't care how it looks. Just want to keep it as safe as possible.
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Jun 26 2017, 02:07 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 11,604

if your car drives 20 miles, it will drive 200 miles, come to chester the 15th of july, you will get an honest assesment. its not a ferrari. i drove mine today in the rain, even the wipers worked well. len, i have your relay from andy.

+Quote Post
chewy71
post Jun 26 2017, 11:08 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(injunmort @ Jun 26 2017, 12:07 AM) *

if your car drives 20 miles, it will drive 200 miles, come to chester the 15th of july, you will get an honest assesment. its not a ferrari. i drove mine today in the rain, even the wipers worked well. len, i have your relay from andy.

Injunmort,

Definitely not a ferrari lol, and you make a good point. I need to check if I am open that weekend and will drive up if I am. I have been using the car as my daily driver for the last couple weeks and have always got where I was going. the car will make it. And if not, it is not a big deal. Won't be the first or last time I break down on the side of the road.

Anyway, Please PM me the details (location, time, what should I bring) and I will drive up on the 15th.

chew
+Quote Post
rmital
post Jun 26 2017, 12:19 PM
Post #10

Northeast optimist

Member No.: 5,268

...definitely not a good time of year to drive to Long Branch on the weekends...I'd be happy to meet you at the Brookdale Service Area, around mile post 150 early Saturday morning, before all the crazy shore goers get to clogging up the Parkway?
+Quote Post
rmital
post Jun 26 2017, 12:23 PM
Post #11

Northeast optimist

QUOTE(injunmort @ Jun 26 2017, 04:07 AM) *

..so what's the details on the 15th? Chester, not Poughkeepsie?? is there a thread on this... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
chewy71
post Jun 26 2017, 03:15 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(rmital @ Jun 26 2017, 10:19 AM) *

...definitely not a good time of year to drive to Long Branch on the weekends...I'd be happy to meet you at the Brookdale Service Area, around mile post 150 early Saturday morning, before all the crazy shore goers get to clogging up the Parkway?

Ray that would be great. The earlier the better as I need to drive home with the crazy shore goers. What time were you thinking?
+Quote Post
rmital
post Jun 26 2017, 03:38 PM
Post #13

Northeast optimist

QUOTE(chewy71 @ Jun 26 2017, 05:15 PM) *

Ray that would be great. The earlier the better as I need to drive home with the crazy shore goers. What time were you thinking?

no later than 7:00am?
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Jun 26 2017, 04:34 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,604

havent heard about 15th elsewhere. gonna post another thread at weeks end. andy is planning on coming down and maybe joe. all welcome, we can do burgers and dogs and wreck my car if no one needs anything. may do engine/trans swap, and tangerine header exhaust. also the usual mass consumption of suds and insults to alls present lineage and parentage. the usual.
+Quote Post
chewy71
post Jun 28 2017, 11:28 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(rmital @ Jun 26 2017, 01:38 PM) *

Ray, I thought I replied to this with my phone number details etc. Must have not posted it correctly. Anyway, it would be great if we could meet at the service area. I can meet you this week but since it is July 4th holiday next week would be better. Otherwise we can do it this weekend. My cell is 732-609-7782. Let me know. Sorry for appearing to flake on the conversation. I actually kept checking back for your response to my "ghost post".

Mike
+Quote Post
rmital
post Jun 29 2017, 07:58 AM
Post #16

Northeast optimist

QUOTE(chewy71 @ Jun 29 2017, 01:28 AM) *

Ray, I thought I replied to this with my phone number details etc. Must have not posted it correctly. Anyway, it would be great if we could meet at the service area. I can meet you this week but since it is July 4th holiday next week would be better. Otherwise we can do it this weekend. My cell is 732-609-7782. Let me know. Sorry for appearing to flake on the conversation. I actually kept checking back for your response to my "ghost post".

Mike

next weekend is good. I'll text you next Friday, July 7th to verify meeting on Saturday, July 8th
+Quote Post
chewy71
post Jun 29 2017, 10:36 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(rmital @ Jun 29 2017, 05:58 AM) *

QUOTE(chewy71 @ Jun 29 2017, 01:28 AM) *

Mike

next weekend is good. I'll text you next Friday, July 7th to verify meeting on Saturday, July 8th

OK sounds good.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:00 AM