Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTB: Speedometer / odemeter, For 1974 914
Don Contreras
post Jun 25 2017, 06:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,898
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Current speedometer works but odometer doesn't.
Please help! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Thanks,
Don
dcontreras11234@gmail.com
206-240-4030
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carking1996
post Jun 25 2017, 07:08 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,399
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Don Contreras @ Jun 25 2017, 08:43 PM) *

Current speedometer works but odometer doesn't.
Please help! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Thanks,
Don
dcontreras11234@gmail.com
206-240-4030

You might have something in there that's worn down. There's a few threads around here that should help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 25 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #3

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Usually there's a gear that starts slipping on the ODO shaft. Need to disassemble and fix the slipping issue. I've removed the gear, scribed new splines on the shaft and pressed the gear back on. It's a tedious process tearing it apart though.

I wrote a fixit article on the NARP site years ago, but there's also one on the Pelican site.
+Quote Post
BK911
post Jun 26 2017, 11:35 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,674
Region Association: None

I have one I bought for my 72, but apparently I *needed* a silver dot one.

$100

Sorry, cant upload pics for some reason.
Email for pics.
BK911 at Hotmail dot com
+Quote Post
BK911
post Jun 26 2017, 11:39 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,674
Region Association: None

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 26 2017, 01:02 PM
Post #6

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Found my repair thread from 2007 on the old NARP site, but can't link to it for some reason (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

So I just cut & pasted it here:

Posted: Sep 3 2007, 06:25 PM

Group: 914 Fan
Member No.: 476

My '76 BMW's odometer stopped many years ago at around 83k miles. The ODO stopped working on my wife's 914 (before we acquired it), and I always wanted to know what made them tick ... or 'stop ticking' to be more precise.

George H. gave me a Silver Dot speedo the other day, and unfortunately, the ODO and Trip Counter didn't work on it either ... so today I took it apart.

It kind of looks like a cross between a clock and a music box inside. The speedo cable drives a small magnetized flywheel. The flywheel spins inside a thin metal cup that is connected to the pin of the indicator needle. There is a shaft with a worm gear that is driven from inside the flywheel shaft housing, which drives another shaft that the plastic odo number wheels ride on.

This where I found the problem with the ODO and Trip Counter.

On the extreme right hand side of the 'ODO number wheel cluster', there is a pot-metal wheel that should be held tightly on the shaft so it rotates with the shaft (whereas the number wheels 'float' on the shaft). It looks like this wheel was originally pressed on or a friction fit, and eventually just wore the shaft or the bore on the wheel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I disassembled the cluster enough to remove the metal wheel, and scribed several linear impressions to create a splined shaft where the metal wheel resides. I reassembled the cluster, and the wheel needed a little bit of a push to get it back onto the shaft (which was my theory and goal).

I reassembled the speedo unit, re-greased the gears and shafts, then tested it using a cordless drill motor (with a tip from an old speedo cable in the chuck).

The Speedo, ODO and Trip Counter are working again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

NOTE: Make sure you spin the speedo in reverse (counter clock-wise) ...

In lieu of taking pix, I drew a little diagram. The diagram will make more sense once you look at an actual disassembled speedo:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/f1.ifrm.com-7300-1498503764.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Don Contreras
post Jun 26 2017, 01:28 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 19,898
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 26 2017, 02:02 PM) *

Found my repair thread from 2007 on the old NARP site, but can't link to it for some reason (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

So I just cut & pasted it here:

Posted: Sep 3 2007, 06:25 PM

Group: 914 Fan
Member No.: 476

My '76 BMW's odometer stopped many years ago at around 83k miles. The ODO stopped working on my wife's 914 (before we acquired it), and I always wanted to know what made them tick ... or 'stop ticking' to be more precise.

George H. gave me a Silver Dot speedo the other day, and unfortunately, the ODO and Trip Counter didn't work on it either ... so today I took it apart.

It kind of looks like a cross between a clock and a music box inside. The speedo cable drives a small magnetized flywheel. The flywheel spins inside a thin metal cup that is connected to the pin of the indicator needle. There is a shaft with a worm gear that is driven from inside the flywheel shaft housing, which drives another shaft that the plastic odo number wheels ride on.

This where I found the problem with the ODO and Trip Counter.

On the extreme right hand side of the 'ODO number wheel cluster', there is a pot-metal wheel that should be held tightly on the shaft so it rotates with the shaft (whereas the number wheels 'float' on the shaft). It looks like this wheel was originally pressed on or a friction fit, and eventually just wore the shaft or the bore on the wheel unsure.gif

I disassembled the cluster enough to remove the metal wheel, and scribed several linear impressions to create a splined shaft where the metal wheel resides. I reassembled the cluster, and the wheel needed a little bit of a push to get it back onto the shaft (which was my theory and goal).

I reassembled the speedo unit, re-greased the gears and shafts, then tested it using a cordless drill motor (with a tip from an old speedo cable in the chuck).

The Speedo, ODO and Trip Counter are working again smile.gif

NOTE: Make sure you spin the speedo in reverse (counter clock-wise) ...

In lieu of taking pix, I drew a little diagram. The diagram will make more sense once you look at an actual disassembled speedo:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/f1.ifrm.com-7300-1498503764.1.jpg)

Thanks Mark
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:45 AM