Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT- Ford Triton woes, plugs blew out
Rand
post Dec 22 2014, 06:58 PM
Post #21

Cross Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Britt Dodd, pick up the red phone. Hello, bd1308, we want to hear from you.

Long gone I'm sure. But hopefully will check in before Alpha434.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 22 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #22

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 22 2014, 07:56 PM) *

Rich, what's that tool? I mean, plugs have threads. What does the tool do? I could see some sort of de-sticking penetration solution first, but... A special tool to unscrew a plug? Yeah, that's what the dealer is selling.

He is a mechanic at an Indy shop and we happen to have lots of ford trucks around here.

He tells me that you break off the top of the plug and stick this special tool inside the middle of the plug and pull it out.

Not trying to get into a pissing match with you cause we all know that when you are right, you are right, and when you are wrong, you are still right...but we all love that about you.

Apparently this is such a normal and no big deal kind of issue that your local snap on or mac tool guy carries this tool set on the truck...

No ide.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 22 2014, 07:16 PM
Post #23

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Holy mother of 10 year old thread ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
messix
post Dec 22 2014, 07:47 PM
Post #24

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 22 2014, 04:58 PM) *

. But hopefully will check in before Alpha434.

I talk to Alphy on F/B all the time !
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 22 2014, 07:50 PM
Post #25

Cross Member

Lol. Like I said, where's Britt when you need him?

No Rich, I was curious. Of course I'm right when I'm right. Wrong more often. No interest in a pissing match. Really? I bet I drink more water, so look out.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 22 2014, 07:51 PM
Post #26

Cross Member

Really Troy? Get him to pitch in some advice here. Rich wants a pissing match.
+Quote Post
messix
post Dec 22 2014, 07:54 PM
Post #27

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 22 2014, 05:51 PM) *

naw, he's a good kid.

he's settled into domestic life with a girl friend [NOT his sister lol] and has plenty of work. he is still doing fab and machining.

+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 22 2014, 07:56 PM
Post #28

Cross Member

QUOTE(messix @ Dec 22 2014, 05:54 PM) *

naw, he's a good kid.

he's settled into domestic life with a girl friend [NOT his sister lol] and has plenty of work. he is still doing fab and machining.

I know. Good and wacky. I miss him here. Lol...sister...oy memories.
+Quote Post
messix
post Dec 22 2014, 07:59 PM
Post #29

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 22 2014, 05:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 22 2014, 07:56 PM) *

Rich, what's that tool? I mean, plugs have threads. What does the tool do? I could see some sort of de-sticking penetration solution first, but... A special tool to unscrew a plug? Yeah, that's what the dealer is selling.

He is a mechanic at an Indy shop and we happen to have lots of ford trucks around here.

He tells me that you break off the top of the plug and stick this special tool inside the middle of the plug and pull it out.

Not trying to get into a pissing match with you cause we all know that when you are right, you are right, and when you are wrong, you are still right...but we all love that about you.

Apparently this is such a normal and no big deal kind of issue that your local snap on or mac tool guy carries this tool set on the truck...

No ide.

all true here.

our fleet mechanic had to buy this tool and had about 3-4 trucks to do a year for this.

a coworker had a plug blow out 300 miles from home while towing his camper. had to leave to be repaired. cab had to be lifted because repair shop didn't have the ford tool at the time.

I heard the v10 has the same problem.
+Quote Post
messix
post Dec 22 2014, 08:00 PM
Post #30

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 22 2014, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Dec 22 2014, 05:54 PM) *

naw, he's a good kid.

I know. Good and wacky. I miss him here. Lol...sister...oy memories.

lol
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 22 2014, 08:35 PM
Post #31

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I just had to do the phasers! $ 1800.00.

http://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-repair-g...k-sound-141266/

And here's why the spark plugs break off. The lower section builds up with Carbon and causes the plug to shear off when you try to remove it. They make a tool to remove the long end.

Attached Image

Now my 4wd is acting up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) .
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 22 2014, 08:45 PM
Post #32

Cross Member

Outsch. Thanks for the post Rick, now we can see why it's not just a typical tough extraction. What a pain.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 22 2014, 09:16 PM
Post #33

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Ya, If the tool doesn't work you get to pull the head. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 22 2014, 09:41 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 22 2014, 09:35 PM) *

And here's why the spark plugs break off. The lower section builds up with Carbon and causes the plug to shear off when you try to remove it. They make a tool to remove the long end.

Having worked on the modular Fords for quite some time before joining the World, I've seen this a bunch. Rick is definitely on point regarding the primary cause of the issue (which funny enough is why so many 914s have Time-Serted spark plug holes too). On the other hand, Ford has never addressed why some trucks/cars simply SPIT the plug out, even without them ever being changed. I think it's a combination of not enough thread depth, inferior castings, vehicle abuse in some cases and lack of maintenance.

I've had a Mustang and now an older F-150 with the same motor. While the problem is more common with the 5.4s than the 4.6s, they are essentially the same thing. My solution is to ignore Ford's stupid 100K mile plug change interval and do them at 30-40K anyways. Use Motorcraft copper plugs and keep it tuned up well. If it's running rich and throws a CEL, you're only asking for more trouble with added carbon deposits. The rest is just luck I think. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Also - if you pull the head for service, do yourself a favor and pull the whole timing cover off as well. Change the timing chain tensioners and nylon guides. While the chain will last the life of the vehicle, the guides will definitely wear about before 200K miles. Depending on how often the oil is changed, the tensioners can cause problems too. Summit Racing makes a great kit for all of it for less than $250 if I remember. Also might as well do the valve stem seals for the $20 in parts while it's out - they go bad around 150K.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 22 2014, 10:07 PM
Post #35

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 22 2014, 04:56 PM) *

George covered it but the tool is to extract the plugs after being broken off in the head~! Its a multi part deal first you push the porcelain remaining in the end stuck in the head DOWN further untill its stopped by the electrode. this provides enough space to uses a hardened threaded EZ-out type rod to cut into the top of the shell so it can be levered out.

F'n joy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

The tool is made by Lyle, Ive already got it Im just pissed at this situation ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
messix
post Dec 22 2014, 10:26 PM
Post #36

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

shoulda bought gm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

it's a deliberate tactic by ford to bill you thousands of dollars for a repair to designed flaw in the engine.

wait for your intermittent wipers to fail and even when turned off runs the slow sweep. could be the multi switch [$300] or the it could be the wiper motor [$400]
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 23 2014, 05:34 AM
Post #37

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

There are 2 different problems here.

#1. Early 5.4 Tritons with 2 Valve Heads can spit out a Plug - not enough Thread

#2. 2003 - 3 Valve Heads that Plugs break when doing a change. It Carbon build up related
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 23 2014, 07:17 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) two different problems that can be related in some cases. But the 4.6s have been known to do it as well, however the 5.4s are notorious for it.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Dec 23 2014, 07:25 AM
Post #39

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

QUOTE(guywan914 @ May 14 2005, 02:25 AM) *

Has anyone heard of problems with the triton v-8 blowing the plugs out of the heads? I have had two different trucks F-250, E-350 where with no warning the #2 on one and
#3 on the other blew the plugs right out of the head . Ford is no help because the trucks have 56000 and 95000 miles on them. Tech at Ford garage said they developed a special repair for this {Helicoil or Threadsert} and that just sounded like there has been a lot more than just my two trucks.

CUMMINS ... Problem solved
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 23 2014, 07:34 AM
Post #40

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

We are running a 5.4 triton in a 99 gold expedition. At about 165k. Just changing oil regularly. We got it for free about 4 years ago and have enjoyed it. It's a DNR car though. Little things break and leak and we just agree to run it into the ground.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 01:52 AM