Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Type 4 Engine V-Belt Info
McMark
post Jul 2 2017, 08:03 AM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I've always found that the V-Belts (alternator belt) that you get handed when you walk into a part store isn't quite right most times. So since I needed to find a shorter version for one of my high-amp alternator installs I figured now was a great time to finally do the research and find out what the RIGHT belt is.

Here's the final specs, which I'll update if more info comes to light:

Belt Angle: 36°
Belt Length: 965mm
Top Width: 9.5mm

My Selection based on the numbers is the ContiTech Brand. Actual installation experience to follow...

And here's my methodology:
First I grabbed an alternator pulley off the shelf and measured the V groove directly. This isn't particularly easy because the groove is so small, but I measured 34° (note there is a margin of error here).

Belt length is farily easy based on a couple sources. The 914 PET didn't list a belt for the 4 cyl (that I could find) but I happened to have a car with a very original looking belt. VW logo and everything. It lists the length as 965mm. Also looking up the VW part number on that belt comes back with a 965mm belt length. I used a belt length calculator and entered measurements from a stock fan/alternator setup and also arrived at 960mm.

Top Width is listed on my presumed-OE belt as 9.5mm. I had a 11mm top width belt here and it stands up out of the groove too much.

What's Available
Here's the belts I looked up for a 73 914 2.0, in a spreadsheet. I would love to add more listings to this file if you have any.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 01:33 PM