Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> best guess on how many 914's are still on the road, Doing an alblum of the rebuild
NJTom
post Jul 3 2017, 02:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,643
Region Association: None

Ok I'm doing an album on my 1972 project, a before during and after. I'm working on getting a reproduction window sticker, have scores of pictures and would like to add some history. I have numbers of 914 produced by years and was wondering if anyone had any idea on how many are still on the road? No right or wrong answer here, I did find a thread from 2008 and the range was from 2400-12,000.. I think this would be interesting reading at local car shows and the like. THANKS and enjoy!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
lalee914
post Jul 6 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,521
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(NJTom @ Jul 3 2017, 04:35 PM) *

Ok I'm doing an album on my 1972 project, a before during and after. I'm working on getting a reproduction window sticker, have scores of pictures and would like to add some history. I have numbers of 914 produced by years and was wondering if anyone had any idea on how many are still on the road? No right or wrong answer here, I did find a thread from 2008 and the range was from 2400-12,000.. I think this would be interesting reading at local car shows and the like. THANKS and enjoy!

Well I was waiting for someone else to reply first but nobody did so here goes. I maintain a data base of 914/6s. Of the approximately 3363 that were built, I have information on over 1670 which is just under 50% of all /6s built. Almost none of the cars in my database indicate that the car was destroyed. Some are little more than rust bucket basket cases but could be rebuilt. Every year I find somewhere between 40 and 100 new VINs. Most of the cars in the database were originally sold in the US. Right now my best guess is that somewhere between 60% to maybe as high as 75% of all /6s ever built still exist somewhere in the world in some condition.

As for how many 914/4s are left, that is a much more difficult proposition to quantify. There were a LOT more /4s sold and being considerably cheaper, a lot of them ended up in the hands of people who never maintained them properly. It is much more difficult to track the /4s because there are so many more /4s and many of them sell with only local advertising without a VIN number being listed. When I first got into 914s, I used to go to the local junk yard from time to time and pull parts that I needed off whatever 914 I could find there. A lot more /4s got sent to the crusher than /6s. Today if you look at web sites like COPART.COM or IAAI.COM you almost always see one or two 914/4s every month.

If I were to take a wild guess as to how many /4s are left somewhere in the world in at least a state where they could possibly be restored, I would guess there could be as many as 50% of all 914/4s ever built are still in existence. This estimate could be a bit high. I don't know how you could ever prove anything like this because so many cars exist in an unregistered state.

There, that's my 2 cents worth.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jul 12 2017, 11:54 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(lalee914 @ Jul 6 2017, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(NJTom @ Jul 3 2017, 04:35 PM) *

Well I was waiting for someone else to reply first but nobody did so here goes. I maintain a data base of 914/6s. Of the approximately 3363 that were built, I have information on over 1670 which is just under 50% of all /6s built. Almost none of the cars in my database indicate that the car was destroyed. Some are little more than rust bucket basket cases but could be rebuilt. Every year I find somewhere between 40 and 100 new VINs. Most of the cars in the database were originally sold in the US. Right now my best guess is that somewhere between 60% to maybe as high as 75% of all /6s ever built still exist somewhere in the world in some condition.

As for how many 914/4s are left, that is a much more difficult proposition to quantify. There were a LOT more /4s sold and being considerably cheaper, a lot of them ended up in the hands of people who never maintained them properly. It is much more difficult to track the /4s because there are so many more /4s and many of them sell with only local advertising without a VIN number being listed. When I first got into 914s, I used to go to the local junk yard from time to time and pull parts that I needed off whatever 914 I could find there. A lot more /4s got sent to the crusher than /6s. Today if you look at web sites like COPART.COM or IAAI.COM you almost always see one or two 914/4s every month.

If I were to take a wild guess as to how many /4s are left somewhere in the world in at least a state where they could possibly be restored, I would guess there could be as many as 50% of all 914/4s ever built are still in existence. This estimate could be a bit high. I don't know how you could ever prove anything like this because so many cars exist in an unregistered state.

There, that's my 2 cents worth.

Think there are two questions here:

How many are registered and are "on the road"?

And how many are still in existence...meaning haven't been destroyed and cut up?

The first is easier to estimate by statistical sampling.

The second is a lot harder to estimate....but you might be able to get close.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 11:12 AM