Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clown Car Engine bay seals, hurrah!, Where Dave learns about pressure differentials...
davebrossi
post Jul 5 2017, 03:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,868
Region Association: None

Hello all,

A year ago I took ownership of fellow member (father) earossi's 914-6 build. Nicknamed 'the clown car' by my mother (the name stuck despite protests) I've done my best to keep up with maintenance, and I can report it's taken top awards at more than one local car show (where I was asked when Chevy made the corvette in that body style I might add..)

Big issue was an oil leak that finally got me to bite the bullet and drop the motor. Oil leak was fixed, but now a new problem. Until I dropped the motor the engine ran wonderfully and more importantly the temperature never went above 210. Flash forward to trying everything out prior to parade and suddenly we have issues! temperatures would shoot up to 240 (which was the max extent of my courage.) In a review I noticed the engine seal was out of alignment. On closer examination I realized the engine seal was cracked, split, and generally trying to escape from the engine bay. All it took really was a tear about two inches long on the driver's side.

The motor is a 3.2 from a 1988 911, complete with ECU, and I noted that when I temporarily patched the torn area (tape) the temps went right back to 210. So! Thanks to 914rubber.com (on whom I've come to depend on all things 914 seal related) I ordered a new set. I also verified I can, in fact, install the new seals with the motor still in. Brad Meyer stated it would be 'difficult.' I suspect He's being optimistic about my skills. So, any advice? Dish soap is easy, I'll be cleaning the tracks, I have the HF cudgel kits, and as you can see I've labeled the heck out of the seals to make sure I don't install them backwards or upside down. This is a learning process as this is my second Air Cooled car, and the first that could actually exceed 80 mph. Enjoy the photos!

Attached Image
Here we've got the driver's and passenger's sides removed. The tape was temporary, I swear it wasn't there long.. mainly because the adhesive melted off...
Attached Image
More gory crime scene photos of the murder of effective air cooling.
Attached Image
While the passenger's side seal came out in one piece, I was suspicious...this was hiding in the...cracks?
Attached Image
This is a comparison of the seal at the front of the motor vs. the passenger's side.
Attached Image
This is the passenger's seal track. I discovered sadly, just why it was easier to remove. I promise the rest of the car is in great shape! (hell hole, longitudinals, etc.)
Attached Image
The new seals arrived today. Yes that's sharpie, I'm not taking any chances given my ability to get it wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 5 2017, 04:06 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(davebrossi @ Jul 6 2017, 09:39 AM) *

Hello all,

A year ago I took ownership of fellow member (father) earossi's 914-6 build. Nicknamed 'the clown car' by my mother (the name stuck despite protests) I've done my best to keep up with maintenance, and I can report it's taken top awards at more than one local car show (where I was asked when Chevy made the corvette in that body style I might add..)

Big issue was an oil leak that finally got me to bite the bullet and drop the motor. Oil leak was fixed, but now a new problem. Until I dropped the motor the engine ran wonderfully and more importantly the temperature never went above 210. Flash forward to trying everything out prior to parade and suddenly we have issues! temperatures would shoot up to 240 (which was the max extent of my courage.) In a review I noticed the engine seal was out of alignment. On closer examination I realized the engine seal was cracked, split, and generally trying to escape from the engine bay. All it took really was a tear about two inches long on the driver's side.

The motor is a 3.2 from a 1988 911, complete with ECU, and I noted that when I temporarily patched the torn area (tape) the temps went right back to 210. So! Thanks to 914rubber.com (on whom I've come to depend on all things 914 seal related) I ordered a new set. I also verified I can, in fact, install the new seals with the motor still in. Brad Meyer stated it would be 'difficult.' I suspect He's being optimistic about my skills. So, any advice? Dish soap is easy, I'll be cleaning the tracks, I have the HF cudgel kits, and as you can see I've labeled the heck out of the seals to make sure I don't install them backwards or upside down. This is a learning process as this is my second Air Cooled car, and the first that could actually exceed 80 mph. Enjoy the photos!

Here we've got the driver's and passenger's sides removed. The tape was temporary, I swear it wasn't there long.. mainly because the adhesive melted off...

More gory crime scene photos of the murder of effective air cooling.

While the passenger's side seal came out in one piece, I was suspicious...this was hiding in the...cracks?

This is a comparison of the seal at the front of the motor vs. the passenger's side.

This is the passenger's seal track. I discovered sadly, just why it was easier to remove. I promise the rest of the car is in great shape! (hell hole, longitudinals, etc.)

The new seals arrived today. Yes that's sharpie, I'm not taking any chances given my ability to get it wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Try disconnecting your shift rod ,support the gearbox and lower the engine and gearbox down as much as you can without straining the front mount .
You will have less trouble fitting the rear one and the sides will be a little easier also,you can remove your engine tin sections with the engine in but its a bitch getting them back in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) .
Good luck.
+Quote Post
davebrossi
post Jul 5 2017, 05:59 PM
Post #3

So a brief update; I have the front seal -almost- all the way in. About one centimeter right in the middle of the fan shroud remains annoyingly free. Driver's side is all but the last bit on the driver's side to the rear. 97 out. Woof!
+Quote Post
davebrossi
post Jul 5 2017, 09:18 PM
Post #4

Update Update: Middle firewall seal was out of joint because an electrical cable got tangled with it. Got all the rubber installed without dropping the engine. Sweet Christmas, please drop your motor before trying this! I think I wiped all the gut smudges off the rear trunk lid. Now The last issue is the fact that the firewall seal isn't clinging the way the sides are to the engine tin. It's a bit long. asdlfjakldsfsa that was unpleasant.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Jul 6 2017, 05:08 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Congrats on getting that pita job done

Interesting how this relates to the recent thread regarding running with and without seals. I suspect that the seals are very important. Getting the air to flow from above the engine to below relys of pressure differential. Even with the fan blowing, any chance to equalize the pressure top to bottom will have a detrimental effect.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 6 2017, 05:19 AM
Post #6

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

These are the 1st seals I made. 1 because the rear wasn't available, and 2 because every time I ordered the front longer seal. I always got a short side as the part numbers are the same.
Just a trip down memory lane for me.

Also you can hog ring the cornered to hold them together on the ends.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jul 6 2017, 08:36 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,743

Nice work. But I'm curious what this clown car looks like. I'm kind of expecting polka dots...
+Quote Post
davebrossi
post Jul 6 2017, 01:19 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(mbseto @ Jul 6 2017, 08:36 AM) *

Nice work. But I'm curious what this clown car looks like. I'm kind of expecting polka dots...

Attached Image

In a move that is somewhat sacrilegious to purists, the color scheme is BMW based, Estoral Blue with Coral Red interior vinyl. Before I had it repainted and clear bra'd the front air dam was polka dotted! ... mind you this was caused by rock chips, but it's as close as we got. When the car was initially delivered to my folks' home, my Mother apparently uttered "It looks like a clown's car" and she has a habit of naming things accurately. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

(Also, spell check says it should be escalator blue by the way.)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jul 6 2017, 02:00 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Thats the best looking Corvette I have ever seen!
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jul 7 2017, 08:18 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 17,743

That's sharp, I like the blue. Well, the name has character but fortunately is not literal!
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 7 2017, 03:54 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Holy that car !!!!!!!!.....more pics please (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
RickS
post Jul 7 2017, 04:18 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,880

Man if that's a clown car, sign me up for the circus.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 8 2017, 12:59 PM
Post #13

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Sorry Mom. You're way far wrong! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jul 8 2017, 01:48 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

I would love to see more pics of this car,.!! very unique color choices that work,..!!
+Quote Post
My 914
post Jul 8 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #15

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928

Your car looks great. 914's usually look tiny to people who have never seen one before. Your mom probably thought of something like this when she first saw it and thus the name she gave it.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 22 2018, 04:31 PM
Post #16

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Dave,

You really have a nice car. Later when you have some extra money you can add a Steve Wong chip to you 3.2 Motronick. It will give you a nice increase in power but more important is how it will feel. Smother and pulling right from the bottom RPM right to red line.

Bob B
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Sep 22 2018, 04:39 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Great looking car and must be a rocket ship with the 3.2. Enjoy it in good health.
+Quote Post
worn
post Sep 22 2018, 05:36 PM
Post #18

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 22 2018, 03:39 PM) *

Great looking car and must be a rocket ship with the 3.2. Enjoy it in good health.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) great color and great place to drive. Yeah, what a nice circus to be part of.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:14 AM