Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> car relater but OT, generator
wilchek
post May 14 2005, 08:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,177

I am trying to build a home generator off of a VW bug generator and a exercise bike. Ride the bike---see the light turn on, for a sciene project for kids. Does anyone know if the generator of VW bugs had "permanent magnets" or do I need to hook up a battery to the generator to develope a field current (energize the magnets). Any help would be great. Any other suggestions would help as well. I am at the trial and error part.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scotty914
post May 14 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #2

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

yes it needs out side current for the exciter which must be connected through a resistor or bulb to ground ( IIRC) . when you apply the source power the light will come on once you start making power the light will go off.

you might do better making a generator out a small electric motor with permanate magnets
+Quote Post
bd1308
post May 14 2005, 09:27 PM
Post #3

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

what the hell is that good for? so the generator needs power to produce power??? isn't that counter-productive?
+Quote Post
bondo
post May 14 2005, 09:34 PM
Post #4

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 14 2005, 08:27 PM)
what the hell is that good for? so the generator needs power to produce power??? isn't that counter-productive?

You generate electricity by moving coils of wire through a magnetic field. Both alternators and generators use an electromagnet to generate the manetic field, because you can control the output by varying that field. The energy required to make the field is much less than the output, so it is only slightly counter productive. The down side is if you have no electricity to get it started, it won't generate anything.
+Quote Post
wilchek
post May 14 2005, 09:38 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,177

Thanks Scott, that is what I thought

kind of, it will produce more than the battery puts out. It will produce some power without the battery hooked up. It is generally not strong enough without being an electromagnet. Your car alternator will not work without a battery. However, there are some generators/alternators that have what is called permanent magents that do not require external batteries but have less output (noramally power window motors have permanent magents). Bottom line, spin the gen/alt faster or add more magentics = more power.

Actually most voltage regulators work by adjusting power to the magnets, creating the proper amount of supply out of the alternator of around 13.5 volts.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 11:02 AM