Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 73 2.0 running *really* rich
rpc
post Jul 7 2017, 03:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,084
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

History: We bought this '73 2.0 last summer. It ran ok at the time, though on cold start-up it would choke if we gave it throttle before it had a chance to warm up for a few minutes. We dropped the drivetrain in the fall to do a bunch of general cleanup on the engine and trans, including:
  • replaced all fuel lines in the engine compartment
  • replaced all the hoses
  • cleaned electrical connectors including all engine compartment relay panel
  • replaced plugs, points, rotor, and maybe dist. cap and plug wires (will need to look back at notes)
  • adjusted valves
  • I don't think I adjusted static timing, so that's a pretty big miss - need to do that

Today: We finally got everything back together and started the car but it was running really rich, so much so that we could barely keep it running. After we shut it off it wouldn't start again. It would spin fine, but not even a hint of firing. Things we've done:
  • pulled one plug and it was wet. Cranked engine with the plug on the fan housing and got a good spark.
  • verified plug wires were in the correct firing order
  • disconnected the thermo switch to prevent the CSV from firing - still no start
  • waited a few hours but still no start.

So first, I think it's so badly flooded that we need to wait a day and/or pull the plugs so that the cylinders dry out.

Second, I'm guessing that replacing the hoses fixed a bunch of air leaks, which some PO had compensated for by richening the mixture. I could very well be wrong, just a guess.

I've read a good amount and have a basic understanding of the D-jet system, but I'm looking for pointers about where I should start in fixing this. If I'm right about the flooding we should be able to get it started. Then what do we need to start checking to address the rich running?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
rpc   73 2.0 running *really* rich   Jul 7 2017, 03:14 PM
BeatNavy   Rich - from your previous thread, did you find and...   Jul 7 2017, 03:19 PM
brant   test the vacuum of the MPS then the range of the ...   Jul 7 2017, 03:20 PM
Rand   MPS was my first thought. See if it holds a vacuum...   Jul 7 2017, 03:22 PM
rpc   Guys, Thanks, great info. I'd read the car wo...   Jul 7 2017, 05:47 PM
BeatNavy   That CHT number doesn't seem out of whack in g...   Jul 7 2017, 06:39 PM
Dave_Darling   How's the fuel pressure? A kinked return line...   Jul 7 2017, 06:41 PM
rpc   Good point about brittle wires. It seems the FI ha...   Jul 8 2017, 07:29 AM
BeatNavy   Good point about brittle wires. It seems the FI h...   Jul 8 2017, 04:40 PM
rpc   Before you do that, though, it's probably eas...   Jul 9 2017, 06:58 AM
rpc   My buddy checked the MPS vacuum today and found: ...   Jul 9 2017, 04:27 PM
Rand   You can get lucky with a used MPS on the cheap fro...   Jul 9 2017, 04:35 PM
BeatNavy   Hey Rich - that MPS is not serviceable. It may no...   Jul 9 2017, 04:38 PM
rpc   Thanks again, guys. Looks like the Tangerine Racin...   Jul 9 2017, 04:56 PM
rpc   Today's update: Turns out the MPS leak isn...   Jul 11 2017, 04:10 PM
BeatNavy   :Qarl: :beer1: :Qarl: So the CSV was the gui...   Jul 11 2017, 04:28 PM
rpc   I sent an email to the WitchHunter folks and asked...   Jul 25 2017, 01:13 PM
boxsterfan   You probably don't need the CSV if you don...   Jul 25 2017, 01:39 PM
rpc   You probably don't need the CSV if you don...   Jul 25 2017, 01:50 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 07:50 PM