Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My New 914
SKL1
post Jul 9 2017, 10:34 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

That is great that you have the original window sticker!! I know I've got mine from the '71 somewhere but can't find it!!
Gonna get a replica done for the '73 (see thread in originality section)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aualexa1
post Jul 11 2017, 05:12 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 21,189
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

A pic of my battery tray. It's moth-bitten at the rear edge, but the rest of t is rock solid. Does this look like the original tray? I'm planning on replacing the battery with an optima red top, but I'll do it once this battery kicks the bucket. In the meantime, I put a battery acid neutralizing mat beneath the current battery. I've attached a pretty c of it as well.

I've tightened the wheel bearings, but haven't gotten a chance to test drive it and see if the clunk is gone. It was almost a 120 degree rotation!!! of the adjustment screw to get it correct. There's no longer any noise when I rock the front wheels, so I'm hopeful the problem is fixed.

Turbo tie rods are on their way. It also needs new shocks and struts. When jacking it up or pushing on the front fenders, the current struts make a terrible creaking sound. I'm gonna go with Bilstein HDs all around. I have them on my 911 and like them. So, two new questions: besides the front struts, rear shocks, and the new lock rings for the top of the front struts, do I need anything else? I'm going to try to do the fronts without removing the strut. I'm going to leave it attached to the ball joint. I know this has been discussed in other threads, but any tips would be appreciated. I'm also sticking with the current springs, so I won't be ordering those either.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 11 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

If the clunking is still there, check to see if the circular nut at the top of the shock housing is loose. I like your car. Your governor, not so much. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jul 12 2017, 07:35 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 18,667

QUOTE(Aualexa1 @ Jul 11 2017, 07:12 PM) *
It also needs new shocks and struts. When jacking it up or pushing on the front fenders, the current struts make a terrible creaking sound.

Are you sure it's the struts that are creaking? I just rebuilt the front end of my 914 (new bushings, balljoints, tierods and struts). The creaking noise that I thought was coming from the balljoints turned out to be coming from the A-arms -- the original bushings had collapsed to the point where the torsion bars were rubbing inside the A-arms, causing the noise. With everything replaced, the car is amazingly quieter.

Fortunately, the job of changing the struts is semi-independent of changing the bushings. If you change the struts and still have the squeaking, you can pull the A-arms without dropping the struts.

+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Jul 12 2017, 10:02 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 5,610

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

We are glad to have you as a member!

Konrad
+Quote Post
Aualexa1
post Jul 17 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #26

Started on turbo tie rod install. Everything went well, but I've got a question. My new tie rods didn't come with a castellated nut and cotter pin. Instead they came with two nuts (shown in pic). Do they both go on? Guessing it's a jam nut. Which one goes first? Is there a certain torque?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Aualexa1
post Jul 23 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #27

Just updating my projects. Turbo tie rods are in. New ball joints are also in. Taking off the old ball joint nut was difficult. I ordered the special tool, but I couldn't keep it on the nut when trying to break it free. I would up using a dremel to cut the nut off. The ball joint pin was also stuck on both sides, so I'm going to take the strut to a local shop and have them remove the pin and separate the old ball joint from the assembly. I'm also going to have the shop put the new wheel bearing races in. Making progress!
+Quote Post
Aualexa1
post Jul 23 2017, 02:57 PM
Post #28

Tie rod (still protected by the plastic cap bc I know I'd bang it up if it was left uncovered!) and ball joint.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Aualexa1
post Jul 23 2017, 02:59 PM
Post #29

Everything disassembled.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Aualexa1
post Jul 23 2017, 03:03 PM
Post #30

Here's what the original tie rods looked like!

* sorry for the multiple posts with single pictures, but I can't upload more than one at a time

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Aualexa1
post Jul 23 2017, 03:06 PM
Post #31

Had to go buck wild on the ball joint nuts.

Also, my front struts were totally dead. They go in and out like a slide whistle. I can't wait to get everything back together and see how the ride quality improves!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:03 PM