Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Six Muffler Options?
Cracker
post Jul 11 2017, 09:54 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

What are the popular choices for mufflers when working with heat exchangers and a six valance? Thank you.

Tony

**Update**
I found a solution...thanks Tom and Mark for your thoughts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 11 2017, 11:34 AM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Tony,

Go look at Dave's/toolguy ad for the -6 muffler & modified short valance ad now in the Parts classifieds - that was one option, with the muffler used either without a valance, or a modified snowplow valance (not recco'd today due to their scarcity & value), or a FG short flat or notched aftermarket valance, or a modified shorty like Dave made (back in the day Dave used to do resto's & race cars for a top guy you'd know, so he knows them).

That was one option. Google 914-6 & find period pix for a start on some of the other set-ups from back-in-the-day, & more recent types.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 11 2017, 11:58 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Tom,

Thank you...I have an original -6 Valance (porthole). I will look at his ad...

Cheers.

T

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 11 2017, 01:34 PM) *

Tony,

Go look at Dave's/toolguy ad for the -6 muffler & modified short valance ad now in the Parts classifieds - that was one option, with the muffler used either without a valance, or a modified snowplow valance (not recco'd today due to their scarcity & value), or a FG short flat or notched aftermarket valance, or a modified shorty like Dave made (back in the day Dave used to do resto's & race cars for a top guy you'd know, so he knows them).

That was one option. Google 914-6 & find period pix for a start on some of the other set-ups from back-in-the-day, & more recent types.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 11 2017, 02:38 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You're going to need one of ben's new ss exhaust. I bet he can make exit correct for your valance.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 11 2017, 02:44 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I have spoken to Ben - classy and talented gentleman - I have Dansk heat exchangers though. Hope you are well Mark...

Tony

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 11 2017, 04:38 PM) *

You're going to need one of ben's new ss exhaust. I bet he can make exit correct for your valance.

+Quote Post
lalee914
post Jul 12 2017, 10:02 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,521
Region Association: North East States

When I bought my /6 a whole bunch of years ago it had an aftermarket Monza muffler on it. I ran that for quite a few years then swapped it out for an OEM muffler. After driving the stock Porsche muffler for about 10 minutes I came to the conclusion that the Monza was a total piece of crap. It had a big flat spot in the rev range that the Porsche muffler did not have. I didn't know how bad the Monza was until it was gone.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 14 2017, 06:43 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

I decided to go with a Dansk unit...supposedly made for the six. Time will tell whether the fit and performance are up to snuff.

T
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 14 2017, 07:09 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 14 2017, 08:43 PM) *

I decided to go with a Dansk unit...supposedly made for the early six. Time will tell whether the fit and performance are up to snuff.

T

Good choice as well.
+Quote Post
whatabout1
post Jul 14 2017, 07:15 PM
Post #9

Toys in Red

Member No.: 5,676
Region Association: None

Like the look of the M&K GT3 style. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 15 2017, 04:01 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(lalee914 @ Jul 13 2017, 04:02 AM) *

When I bought my /6 a whole bunch of years ago it had an aftermarket Monza muffler on it. I ran that for quite a few years then swapped it out for an OEM muffler. After driving the stock Porsche muffler for about 10 minutes I came to the conclusion that the Monza was a total piece of crap. It had a big flat spot in the rev range that the Porsche muffler did not have. I didn't know how bad the Monza was until it was gone.

The stock type muffler is apparently very well designed,I don't know how much extra power the aftermarket ones free up but usually that's @ the expense of more noise and the extra power being made higher in the rev range.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 15 2017, 05:23 PM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

I'm guessing Tony wanted something that looked traditional if he's doing a stock looking 6,
I found a nos M&K 911R for my 3,2 conversion. It looks awesome and sounds glorious.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 15 2017, 05:28 PM
Post #12

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(lalee914 @ Jul 12 2017, 12:02 PM) *

Same story when I drove my carb'd 4 back in the 80.s It was considered an upgrade.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jul 15 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #13

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

There's a back pressure/volumetric equation in there that the factory nailed with the muffler they came up with. It's not the prettiest, or the loudest, or the most race car sound, and it's not as free flowing, but it really, really works.

Is some guy in a garage with great fabrication skills really going to make a better muffler than what Porsche designed? Not to bag on anyone who would try, but that's the question I ask myself.

Duplicating the factory design is a good place to start, and a muffler that was designed for a 2.0 displacement would obviously giving up something on larger motors.

Not possessing an engineering degree, I'd probably start by capping everything off and seeing how much fluid it holds, and then try and knock off the internal baffling, which it looks like Ben is doing. I hope he can come up with a legit option.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Sep 2 2017, 02:13 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

I've got a stocker on my 2.4 six - Runs great too quiet. Beta tested Ben's latest - ran great, nice unit same noise as stock (none).

Will be running a Bursch with a Flowmaster 40 Series soon. Will report back.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:49 AM