Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT - flew in a B-17G today, Way cool!
redshift
post May 16 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #21

Bless the Hell out of you!

Group: Members
Member No.: 869

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

M
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 16 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #22

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I love Cali. I was at the junk yard last week. It is by Brown field municipal air field by the boarder. I heard something and looked up to see a B17 flying low in formation with a Dauntless dive bomber, a hellcat, and one that I didn't recognize right away but kinda looked like another hell cat in British trim. How freaking luck am I (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

I love vintage aircraft. I think in another life I was a WWII pilot.
+Quote Post
balljoint
post May 16 2005, 12:28 PM
Post #23

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897
Region Association: None

Looks like fun.

Is there a bathroom on that thing? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post May 16 2005, 12:56 PM
Post #24

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

There was a B17 AND the only remaining B24 here last week. As much as I would have liked to go for a ride, the bucks to do so were MAJOR and I'm only The Cap'n. I AM jealous, big time. Closest I've been is inan AC 119, a truly scary airplane, though a wee bit newer. C47s prolly don't count, as there's a ton of them still around ........................
+Quote Post
ein 6er
post May 16 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #25

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 300

wow!!! too cool!!

a few weeks, ago a B-17 and a and a B-25 barn stormed into town. rides in the B-17 were $350 for 30 min., wish i could have gone but couldn't afford it. got to climb through it though. i've got a lot of reverence for those planes, a lot of brave men died in those things.

my dad was a P-47 pilot and a flight instructer and has many flight hours in both the B-17 and the B-25, love hearing his stories.

BTW, there is a big air show at planes of fame in chino this weekend. wish i could go.

+Quote Post
Katmanken
post May 16 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #26

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Dad did 28 missions in one of those...

On his last mission, he lost 3 of the engines..

Said it flys OK on one, but you constantly lose altitude.

KEn
+Quote Post
Mr.C
post May 16 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #27

Easy does it

Member No.: 61

Hey, I seen that plane today down at the airport as I was driving by. It had just
landed. I heard that they were giving rides for $395. I'm going over right now in fact to show the kids. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post May 16 2005, 06:06 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

The Spruce Goose was a way cool plane to check out ...when it was parked here in the LBC. Howard Hughes & co. were way out there when they built that goliath ! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post May 16 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #29

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (carreraguy @ May 15 2005, 08:49 PM)
[QUOTE It was definitely called the "Super Fortress" for a reason.

Actually, it was called the "Flying Fortress". The B29 and it's successor, the B50 were called the "Super Fortress"....... Doesn't make it any less impressive, though ................................ The Cap'n
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post May 16 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #30

It's not your dad's 914!

Member No.: 1,256
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ May 16 2005, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (carreraguy @ May 15 2005, 08:49 PM)
[QUOTE It was definitely called the "Super Fortress" for a reason.

Actually, it was called the "Flying Fortress". The B29 and it's successor, the B50 were called the "Super Fortress"....... Doesn't make it any less impressive, though ................................ The Cap'n

Cap'n you are totally correct; brain fart on my part and you are right it is still quite an aircraft. I was really surprised by how "small" it was but it sure packed a punch. That truly was the "Greatest Generation" when you think of the sacrifices made to the tune of over 60,000 B-17 aircrew killed in the European campaign.

One of the guides mentioned that the B-24 was every bit as important as the B-17 but most of the reporters at the time preferred to write up the B-17's (i.e. Memphis Belle") out of London as opposed to covering the B-24 in Italy or Africa where there was a lot more hostile action. All that being said, I would highly recommend anyone interested in the B-17 to check out "Memphis Belle" from your local video store as it was a very factual production. Another outstanding movie of that era was "Twelve O'Clock High" with Gregory Peck.

BTW - thanks for the tee shirt; my son and I enjoyed the short visit to your shop on the way to WCC '05.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post May 16 2005, 07:13 PM
Post #31

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Yeah...saw the write up here in the local paper and saw it flying along the coast line....great rumble. If I recall, it was a model that was built late in WWII, used a as armed transport for bigwigs and never saw action. Was restored to war trim and now flies as a museum exhibit.....
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post May 16 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #32

It's not your dad's 914!

Member No.: 1,256
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE ("Z" @ May 16 2005, 05:13 PM)
Yeah...saw the write up here in the local paper and saw it flying along the coast line....great rumble. If I recall, it was a model that was built late in WWII, used a as armed transport for bigwigs and never saw action. Was restored to war trim and now flies as a museum exhibit.....

Yep, the one I flew in ("Fuddy Duddy") was used in the Pacific theater and they mentioned it had both Eisenhower and McArthur as passengers. Its likely in the condition it is considering it was relatively new and not used on many (if any) bombing missions. Regardless, it was still a thrill!
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post May 16 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 366

I understand that the collins foundation B-17 and B-24 will be having $400 half hour flights my area, sounds like the $350 ride was a deal!!!

Correction on the B-24 it is not the last one (they made more of them than B-17's) I believe it is the last flying B-24, there are other B-24 but only on display) there are a handful of flying B-17 left. But that won't be forever, so fly them while you can. Thousands became beer cans after the war. Many that are left are still here cause they were used as fire water bombers after the war. They had use in war, defeating the bad guys, and in peace fighting fires.

There are some remarkable examples at the Pima Air Museum in Tucson AZ, along with the Super Fortress, the B-29 (it is a great restoration) The Pima Museum is fantastic, picking up many old war birds from the near by military bone yard. I recall years ago the giant tails of B-52 Stratofortresses standing tall in the desert, with the mirage making the desert appear as a lake, the tails looked like sail boats from far off. These planes have mostly dissappeared as scrap now. When my dad was a kid, he recalls the giant B-36's with ten engines (six turning, four burning, ie six props, four jets) flying in formation, then making their final landing in Tuscon. A B-36 made a hell of a lot of beer cans. (and never dropped a bomb in anger, but it kept the ruski commies from attacking).

I have a working radio reciever from a B-17, my uncle found a pile of them at the dump in Tuscon decades ago. The Air force had removed the vacuum tubes, tossed them in a truck, took them to the dump, and tossed them out, they had an Airforce guy smash each one with a sledge hammer to prevent anyone from picking one up (why, this was in the 1970's, nothing special about them, they were alread 25 years old then???) at anyrate the sledge hammer missed a couple, and back then there were still a few old radio stores that stocked old tubes, some were pretty hard to find, but we got it working again, had to put a transformer in it to convert from 120 volt to 24 volt, but heck that thing still picks up shortwave from around the world (conditions permitting)

I wonder if any collector group will ever get their hands on a B-52 some day and get it flying!!! no one flies the few remaining B-36's, but with fuel prices, four engines is probably all that can be afforded to feed.

There is a private collector near me that single handedly owns well over 200 military vehicles on his 400+ arce ranch, he has over 60 tanks! and even a Scud missle on a mobile launcher!!!! (No Shit!!) And I thought old 914's were fun. He also has a Kublewagen, and Schwiminwagen, so there is the Porsche content in my post.

cheers!

+Quote Post
anderssj
post May 16 2005, 08:06 PM
Post #34

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207

Fuddy Duddy at Newport News last fall--found out too late to fly but got to take a tour and a departure photo.

You watch the movies and you think these are huge, but they're really not . . .

There's a local guy runs a place called the "Fighter Factory." His collection includes a Spitfire MkVIII, P-51, and P-40. Rumor has it he just picked up a F-4U Corsair. Not sure where he finds them. I've seen him airborne in the Spitfire 2 or 3 times. Would sure like to see the collection up close.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
redshift
post May 16 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #35

Some of the finds get pulled out of the water, alot of German planes get pulled out of Russia, and alot of planes get pulled out of ex-Name A Third World Country Here airforce's parts piles.

M
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 17 2005, 12:32 AM
Post #36

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

You can buy a B-24, or even an A-26 for the price of a San Diego condo ($450,000) still (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Ya, I thought about it, but I have a problem supporting my Porsche habbit.
+Quote Post
redshift
post May 17 2005, 01:34 AM
Post #37

http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51/p51sf...16mar2003.shtml

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

http://www.barnstormers.com/cat.php

M
+Quote Post
maf914
post May 17 2005, 10:54 AM
Post #38

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

QUOTE (dmenche914 @ May 16 2005, 05:47 PM)
Many that are left are still here cause they were used as fire water bombers after the war. They had use in war, defeating the bad guys, and in peace fighting fires.

My dad flew B-24's and B-29's during the war. As a kid I became an airplane fan and read everything I could find about them. I remember old B-17's and B-25's being used to spray for insect control in the area and my dad taking my sister and I out to the airport to look at them. I was dissapointed because the gun turrets had been removed. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
airsix
post May 17 2005, 11:14 AM
Post #39

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE (dmenche914 @ May 16 2005, 05:47 PM)
The Air force had removed the vacuum tubes, tossed them in a truck, took them to the dump, and tossed them out, they had an Airforce guy smash each one with a sledge hammer to prevent anyone from picking one up...

You just hit on one of my biggest gripes. That gear was payed for by the taxpayers. When the gov't is through with it, it should be returned to the taxpayers in fair condition. Planes, boats, jeeps, trucks, generators, compressors, trousers, whatever. There are a few items (heavy weapons) that should stay out of the public's hands, but the rest ought to be returned to the public at auction.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
DipShit
post May 17 2005, 11:50 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 2,107

John Lush and I got to take a ride in their B-17 "Sentimental Journey" a few years ago. It sure gives you an appreciation of what those guys went through day in and day out during the war!

Nothing like the sounds and smells of those big radials vibrating the hell out of the airframe.

Awesome Tom.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 12:31 PM