Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hmm...decisions, decisions, decisions!
Cracker
post Jul 16 2017, 07:08 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I do not know if I have ever asked for any opinions here before; if not , here we go!

One of my closest friends passed away three-years ago due to cancer. He was a big-time hot rod hobbyist - did things over the top (all the time). Builds were never bound by financial constraint. Just a couple weeks prior to his death, we spoke about transferring his "dream build" to me. That ultimately became a reality just a few months ago - now what to do?

I have strong convictions regarding the number of cars I own - self-imposed limits if you will. I have to admit that at the moment - I am breaking my own rules! With that said, I have some difficult decisions to make. Not all the pros/cons are being presented (by me) at this time but suffice to say - I can make any argument for either conclusion.

The car I have acquired is not yet built but has over 80G's in parts and pieces . It is an aluminum monocoque RCR GT40 with the wide 4-inch Gulf Flares (per side (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). It has 15" rear wheels on knock-off's and 16" wide Avon tires. It is bad-ass! The gearbox was rebuilt and prepped by G-Box to run inverted - it is a G50-52 turbo 5 speed, FI/ITB's - all of the good stuff and much coin required. The clutch pack is a triple carbon 7.25" Tilton unit rated for 1360 ft lbs of torque (not a typo)! Everything on this project is like this...

I would use the car ONLY as a hot-rod - no track duty. A departure from the 914 I have built. Performance wise, by comparison, it would never be the equal to my 914 on track - better on the street. I do not want to own both - a bit overkill in my opinion.

I have to make a choice - there is no rush in doing so - between the 914 and the GT40.

I have provided samples of RCR GT40's below in the event that you are not aware of the car I am detailing. Realizing I am giving you 10% of the story, per say, what would you do? Thanks in advance...

Tony

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Jul 16 2017, 07:14 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

If it were me, I'm keeping the rare, animal GT-40, no question and no regrets.
+Quote Post
brownaar
post Jul 16 2017, 07:26 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,813
Region Association: None

Ouch. Tough call. At first I started to agree with Big Len, but I'm somebody who's said you can bury me in my 914. I think the sentimental connection to the GT40 is what makes it a hard decision. I'm afraid you'll regret either choice. Keep them both or give them both to me!
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jul 16 2017, 07:28 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

I love our cars.....but...no equation !
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 16 2017, 07:33 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Tony - My $.02.
For me, life is a journey and the accompanying set of experiences.

With your race car/hot rod and the -6 you're working on, you have/ will soon have about maxed out the 914 experience.

If I were in that position, I'd go with the GT40.

The only thing that might change my mind was what happened with a couple bikes I owned back in 2000: I had a Honda NSR 250 and got all enamored with the Honda RC51 so I got one of the first delivered in CA. Guess what? It sat in the garage. Every time I went to ride, I found I just couldn't get enough of the little NSR. I sold the RC a couple months later.

So, imagine you had them both in your garage and the honeymoon of all that TIG welded AL, 8-stack intake and 16" wide tires is over. (or does that ever happen? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) )

Which one gets your heart beating fastest?

(Or, you could save yourself all the agony and simply sell the GT40 to me. I promise you can drive it when you're next in CA...!)

Best of luck with your decision!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 16 2017, 07:36 AM
Post #6

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I love both cars - but the friend connection wins the day for me and the GT40 stays. Condolences on the loss of your friend. The man who ends up with your killer 914 is going to be a "lottery winner".
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jul 16 2017, 08:01 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Sorry about your friend. I just lost a buddy in January. So here what I see from the snapshot: his dream versus your dream. Your now not going to be driving on the track. You are changing your goals and choices to his? His passing is still fairly fresh and now you have a tangible part of him. It might be easier to change your self imposed car maximum. If you can afford and store them keep both.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 16 2017, 08:33 AM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm sorry you lost your friend.
If I had the money, I'd make an offer on the GT40.
Definitely my dream car.
+Quote Post
jtprettyman
post Jul 16 2017, 08:42 AM
Post #9

Rust Bucket Owner

Member No.: 18,707

No way I could part with that GT40. If you don't want to drive it just move it into the living room as a piece of art.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jul 16 2017, 08:59 AM
Post #10

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Just a couple weeks prior to his death, we spoke about transferring his "dream build" to me...

There's your answer. I'm sure it's a tough pick but seems to me your bud wanted you to see the project through, and obviously had the conviction that you would. And while most, if not all of us would love to be able to have the option, the fact that there's an additional agenda tied to the GT40 should make the decision a little easier. You're a blessed man, I would think that if you parted ways with the Ford, it might linger in the back of your mind perpetually.

But, that's just my opinion...
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 16 2017, 09:07 AM
Post #11

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Whichever one makes you happy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
sb914
post Jul 16 2017, 09:18 AM
Post #12

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

Well, sounds like he passed it on to you for a reason.
You know what to do .
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Jul 16 2017, 09:23 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,273

I could only opine if I saw a picture of the 914............ But it would have a great story and be really special to outweigh the history of the transfer from your friend.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Garland
post Jul 16 2017, 09:38 AM
Post #14

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

"I have strong convictions regarding the number of cars I own - self-imposed limits if you will. I have to admit that at the moment - I am breaking my own rules! With that said,".

" we spoke about transferring his "dream build" to me."

I think your the custodian of his project, with the dream of the first drive. Complete it and enjoy the moment of that drive. Then return it, or trust back to his family. (Value or car)

With all cost and finances being equal and fair.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 16 2017, 12:59 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I believe I wasn't as clear as I intended to be regarding details of the transaction. That is clearly my fault. Mark, I already own the car (as in I bought it). The rest - see below:

1) My friends family placed a very high number on the package after he died...they were
aware of our conversations but we were still too far apart. At that time, the total investment in "parts alone" exceeded 100k.

2) I was not "given" this car...I purchased it a few months ago. I have significant skin in this project and there are no strings attached.

3) When we couldn't come to terms on the cost years ago...I decided to build my version of the ultimate 914 (my interpretation only of course). I have ended up with significantly more money into my teener project than the original cost of the complete project.

4) The pictures I have shared are NOT my car but rather the same manufacturer. I thought a comprehensive, completed car would be better to share with everyone. They are really, really nice...

5) I really (really!) like my 914...it was and is my dream build for a dual purpose hot-rod/race car. I have well over 1500 hours (my hours!) into this build - I don't take that lightly. I also would not simply give me car away - it will take a very special buyer (one with class and balls)! Not that I want to exclude women, of course. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks for the thoughts fellas - I mean it!

Tony
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 16 2017, 01:18 PM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Tony - I'm just kidding about the offer. After paying my kids college tuition last week, I barely have money to put gas in my car.

But congrats! Nice "problem" to wrestle with.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 16 2017, 01:26 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Ha! I missed that one Mark...I do understand about the college thing though. My son leaves in three weeks for UGA starting 8 straight years of college tuition!!! My daughter is 4-years younger... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

T

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 16 2017, 03:18 PM) *

Tony - I'm just kidding about the offer. After paying my kids college tuition last week, I barely have money to put gas in my car.

But congrats! Nice "problem" to wrestle with.
+Quote Post
struckn
post Jul 16 2017, 01:35 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 13,764

First thing I'd like to say to you is RULES A MADE TO BE BROKEN. KEEP BOTH! Find a way to do it.

Also, do you really think you would drive a GT40 Golf on the street? Good luck with that. Be easier to make the 914 the street car.

Good luck with figuring you're problem out with no regrets.

+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 16 2017, 01:43 PM
Post #19

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

Your life revolves around the 914. Sounds like the GT would be a Coffee Queen.

I think I'd keep the GT as an investment, and keep doing things with the 914.

Besides, do you really want to be part of the Ford crowd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Ed_Turbo
post Jul 16 2017, 01:51 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 21,151

Sell the GT...it is a Ford (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

My condolences on your friend. Keep it in memory of him. If there was no sendimental value I would sell it.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:00 AM