Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help my new interior has been ruined, interior destroyed as oil cooler was to be installed!
wes
post Jul 17 2017, 12:43 PM
Post #1

wes

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

Last year a week before the Monterey car week I scheduled to have an oil cooler installed on my return form the Wreks Reunion Concourse. I took my recently restored 914 to have the oil cooler installed plus an oil leak repaired on my new 2056 stroker engine. When I arrived I paid him the $1837.15, I noted that no oil cooler was on the repair receipt plus a number of repairs were done that where never talked about
(he never gave me any kind of estimate written or otherwise) said he adjusted the carburetion, checked the valves adjustment and test drove the car, it was cooling fine now, well great! Now when I went to the car first noticed the car setting outside with a scratch to the paint on rear quarter panel, then the interior, the shop left the window open during a rain storm resulting in mold growing on the new carpets. When I spoke to the shop owner he replied he would take care of it so I left it with him, after returning as he said car cleaned up good, scratch buffed out and ready to pickup I found the new seats destroyed. He said he tried to clean them and he doesn't know what happened. Attached Image
He also ruined one of the new door cards, the new consual, new dashboard and the aluminum floor pan scratched. He now told me to get an estimate so I trailer the car home. Next morning was excited to take her for a short test drive to the coast and after driving for a few minutes seeing the oil temperature was rising quickly now at 265 degrees stopping at first chance and shutting her down. When I went to open the engine compartment the lid won't open as it was binding on the trunk, (it was fine before but one fo the items he charged me for). I had to open the trunk for it to clear the now scratched trunk lid. Ok now after calling him he had me bring it back. Ok not smart on my account! So after taking the car back again he pulled the Weber carbs and sheet metal to see if it has a cooling problem, he said it looks good! I explained that I brought the car to him for a oil cooler and I already knew and had checked for a cause for it's over heating. I at that time even bought the parts needed for the oil cooler he then at that time tells me he's not sure he is qualified to install the oil cooler and charging me another $521.85.
I've reported the two charges on my BofA card totaling $2359 to the Bank of America and they're requesting an estimate by a shop with the shops name and I'd on the estimate. I'm looking for a shop that is qualified to give me the estimate needed plus installe an oil cooler. I live in Northern Ca. Ukiah about 60 miles north of Santa Rosa
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wes
post Jul 17 2017, 12:52 PM
Post #2

wes

The interior at the concourse before the shop worked on it?Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jul 17 2017, 01:03 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Was the shop suggested to you? Also name the shop....stop these guys from working on any other members' cars (post here and Pelican).

That really sucks. We need to band together and stop the crummy shops and drive business to the good ones.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 17 2017, 01:06 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Wow! I'm really sorry this happened to you. Might need to call your insurance company and ask them how to proceed. Take lots of pictures. Find "before pics" Write out a very detailed description and timeline. Get a good estimate to repair and restore everything - have the prices available for the seats, etc to make it easier for the shop to estimate. Don't have anybody fix until it's resolved. Document, document, document.

Good luck.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 17 2017, 01:28 PM
Post #5

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Wes,
If I have the material, we could sew the base up for you with a new center section.

For you no charge (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I'll check
+Quote Post
wes
post Jul 17 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #6

wes

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 17 2017, 12:28 PM) *

Wes,
If I have the material, we could sew the base up for you with a new center section.

For you no charge (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I'll check

Thanks Mark!
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jul 17 2017, 01:50 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Holy crap! That is ridiculous. What shop?
+Quote Post
wes
post Jul 17 2017, 01:51 PM
Post #8

wes

I initially took the car to High Tech Automotive in San Rafael who I regard highly though he recommended Proshop Inc. just around the block as he was pretty well booked up plus he thought labor charges would be saved over his shop. Also Proshop is advertised in the Porsche club Redwood region monthly letter.Attached Image
+Quote Post
sb914
post Jul 17 2017, 02:00 PM
Post #9

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

Sorry Wes , I'd have a hard time not strangling that guy.
Mark steps up again.! Good on ya 914 rubber
+Quote Post
wes
post Jul 17 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #10

wes

It has made so mad I've put her on jack stands with a cover in the garage trying to not think about! Over all he had the car for just a little over six months didn't answer phone calls or return messages and blamed it on the phone company.
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Jul 17 2017, 02:17 PM
Post #11

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

Hope this works out with that company. Too bad this happened to you and your car.
My 914 had a shipper that got it wet as well leaving a window open...all wet...mold!
Although they said we would work it out and come to a 'mutual solution' they left me and the 914 out in the cold in the end. The being mad will take some time I am afraid.
I used a steamclean company to remove stains and mold. I hope your 914 can be restored to how it was, it looks great. Take care....
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jul 17 2017, 02:32 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 12,889

If he won't make it as it was when you left it on his own I'd call your insurance company. . if that works, then take him to small claims court for your deductible.. . .. At the least he should give you his insurance company info. .
You can also check and see if he has a 'YELP" account and leave him negative, but honest' feedback. .
There is also the bureau of automotive repair.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 17 2017, 02:43 PM
Post #13

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Wes,

Unlike many other states - you're not alone in this. CA has the DMV/Dept. of Consumer Affairs 800 number to report shops like this (every shop is required to post it & it's online), & they will step in, at least as far as disciplinary action, but they can also advise you how to proceed. You may also have to go to small claims court if your insurance won't cover you, then go after him.

They guy is at fault for both the interior/exterior damage while in their care, so his insurance should cover it, if he has proper coverage. And he should've stepped up right away to do so, so do report both the interior/exterior damage & his charging you for work not on the estimate + not repairing the problem for which it was brought in.

DMV/DCA should take action on both, but not necessarily get the money on both - as I'm not sure on how it works in this type of complicated case.

I'd suggest getting an estimate for the actual work requested & a separate one for the work "claimed" to have been done - both from the shop that referred you (High Tech - or at least let them know that their referral had problems), &/or from Rich Bontempi (HPH Redwood City) &/or Marty Yeoman - since they both know 914s & won't fell "unqualified" like your ProShop guy did.

If you don't have a Porsche interior shop whom you can trust for the work near to you or Bay Area, then get one from Autos International in Fallbrook CA, cuz they're a known quantity who does great work on 914s & other P-cars. Ditto on any needed body/paint work from a good body shop up near you or in the Bay Area - if there is anything still amiss that didn't "buff out" by the shop guy.

Also, let Redwood Region PCA know too, so they're on notice about an advertiser/shop whop they implicitly recommend.

You should be able to both get your money back for the faulty & non-estimated work done on your 914 (in CA they MUST have an owner approved estimate for ALL work before doing it), as well as for the damaged interior/exterior repairs due to the shop's negligence. I don't know if they will make any "off-sets" from the former refund as legit &/or owner approved work, against the latter damages.

If they still have your oil cooler parts, then get those back immediately before he gets wind of the complaints & holds them on you.

I don't know either of those shops (referring & work), but you got hosed for non-approved extra work (unless you approved any over the phone/in person orally), as well as taken by a negligent shop.

What reputable shop leaves any car windows open in the rain, then lets it sit & mold? .... & lets a car get banged up? .... & then won't fully repair it - rather than using harsh chemicals/processes to completely destroy it!!??
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Aside from Mark's very generous offer - you should be able to get everything repaired properly & completely, & not have to piecemeal it together, the way that CA law & DCA/DMV, etc. works here. You won't know if the seat foam is wet & molding & need replacing, rusting/molding floor panels under the carpet & floor crossmember vinyl, electrical &/or instrument problems due to the interior flooding, etc., etc. - so it's going to be a deeper repair that just replacing the seat inserts IMHO, & you should not have to do the labor yourself.

So go the DCA route, see what they say to do, check with your insurance, get full work estimates, get with your car insurance co. for "Comprehensive" coverage, & maybe get a referral to a good lawyer up there on these types of matters, & get a 30 min. free consultation to see what they think (even "consulting a lawyer" may break the shop owner's "tight-fisted grip on his wallet" hearing that), & see what you need to do for CA small claims court (you don't need a lawyer to do small claims) but their maximum claim is something like $7500+/- & neither parties can use legal counsel there.

For all of this stuff, refer to it as an interior flooding problem, so they know the full extent of what to look for, beyond just surface damage.

PS - I'm sure you realize now, that the reason he never contacted you for 6 months & claims his phone had problems, was he didn't want to face the music, but also take that as a possible red flag that he's got financial problems & may be close to BK, not have full insurance himself, etc. So move quickly on this.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Dion
post Jul 17 2017, 02:44 PM
Post #14

RN

Member No.: 2,766

Wes, that is terrible! Sorry man.
I had an incident like this with my wife's daily driver (regarding interior damage).
Agree with Mark 100%. Document, get the insurance co. Involved.
Don't fix anything. Get all the numbers first.
Totally aggravating but you'll be glad ya did later.
And by all means negative feedback to where it counts if he doesn't cooperate and drop a line to the BBB.
Good luck Wes.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jul 17 2017, 03:31 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Crap! I know who that is. I have bought parts from him, but never had any service done. Vots is getting up there in age. Not an excuse, but. Too bad Hi Tech wouldn't do it.
+Quote Post
wes
post Jul 17 2017, 05:59 PM
Post #16

wes

First thanks for all the very helpfull response!
Well I spoke with Pots the owner at Proshop and it turns out he has no insurance!
I let him know of the things that have been suggested by people here and let him know that I have absolutely no interest in defacing him or his business and certainly don't want to involve lawyers. I just want it like it was when I left it with him.
So he has agreed to take another look at it after I get estimates to bring it back to what it was when I dropped it off with him.
Now estimates I've spoken to Richt B. at HighPerformance House and he is booked up with too many cars so he said to call back next Tuesday and see if he can squeeze me in.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jul 17 2017, 06:05 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Moral of the story:

Don't leave your car with someone you don't know for six months.

I have been through this with ROB JOY in Oceanside, who is a TOTAL RIP-OFF.

We need a "Don't Deal With These People List"

Sorry this happened to your bitchin car.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 17 2017, 06:07 PM
Post #18

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Hi Wes- Very sorry to hear about this. I have to agree with Mark, call your insurance company and turn it over to them with all of the pictures and information. I would not return the car to that shop unless your insurance company asks you too (doubtful). The cap on Small Claims, last I checked, was $7K in California. Seems like a pretty easy win to me. Best of luck. Michael
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 17 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #19

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

File a claim with your insurance and let them go after the guy... At least I think that would be the way. Ouch! That is awful! That car is so beautiful! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Jul 17 2017, 07:50 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Man that is terrible! I think I have found a new use for my old torn seat cushions though. I'll pop those in for any service work I have done. I'll take anything that is not bolted down out too.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:48 AM