Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My rant
nditiz1
post Jul 19 2017, 05:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So as some of you know I have been searching around Maryland for my first 914. 2 weeks ago on the 4th a seller named Jim in VA, 2 hours away, had a 72 with a transplanted 2.0 in it. He only had 2 pics and little to no info on it, but did have his phone number. I saw the ad 7 hours after it was posted to craigslist for $2500. I later received an email stating it was sold. 2 days ago this pops up on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172783341024?_trks...utorefresh=true

While the car does have issues, for $2500 Can it be all that bad? My rant is about the seller. I realize making money is nice and while everyone wants to make a quick buck it sucks to be on something I almost had. He now has it for sale at BIN $7800 or best offer. I offered him $3500 stating he would make a quick $1000. He declined. Sorry just wanted to get that off my chest.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 19 2017, 05:24 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I understand your frustration but you have little reason to rant. Either you get the car or you did not - 1 minute or 7 hours - no difference really. Once someone owns an item - they can do what they want, ask what they want, burn it into the ground, etc. It is their car 100%...

Someone who did that with a 914 (and that quickly) must be well aware of the car. Not just a general flipper...is my guess. Around here - there are many who seemingly have disdain for such practices - you will have plenty of sympathy coming your way soon.

Keep you head up and eyes open - the "right" car will work out and when it does - you will know it! It will make these cheesy deals fade into distant memories. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Tony
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Jul 19 2017, 05:46 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Agree with Cracker. 7 hours into a posting an ad with a potential bargain is plenty of time for a number of people to buy the car. You're going to have to quicker.

Your feelings probably pale in comparison to how the CL original owner feels by under pricing the car.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jul 19 2017, 06:16 AM
Post #4

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

Many of time I just missed a great deal then there were many of times I found a great deal. If the CL owner was happy with $2500 and the new owner thinks he can get $7800 for it, more power to him.

I have bought many of car & parts at the "buy low, sell high" motto. To be honest I wouldn't take your offer of $3500 either. Now a real offer of $5k, then maybe.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 19 2017, 06:41 AM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Uhh....we feel your pain, but that car looks like it has multiple issues. You might have dodged a bullet.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jul 19 2017, 06:41 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Hang in there, I predict that 914 won't even bring 4,000 grand on Ebay.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 19 2017, 06:44 AM
Post #7

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jul 19 2017, 05:16 AM) *

Many of time I just missed a great deal then there were many of times I found a great deal. If the CL owner was happy with $2500 and the new owner thinks he can get $7800 for it, more power to him.

I have bought many of car & parts at the "buy low, sell high" motto. To be honest I wouldn't take your offer of $3500 either. Now a real offer of $5k, then maybe.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

You missed on a good deal. 72 car with a 2.0L and a side shift conversion. The new owner is asking what seem like a fair price and should sell it you what it is worth not relative to what he paid. Considering he listed on Ebay he would have considerable fees and would make no where near $1000 if he accepted your low offer.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jul 19 2017, 06:57 AM
Post #8

I was offering him 3500 outside of eBay. So he would make that 1000 in full. Sucks either way.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jul 19 2017, 07:14 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Many pics on this car, but none of the hellhole? Also the passenger door jamb does not look very rust-free to me. Seems funny for a longtime Porsche owner to omit this important area.

+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Jul 19 2017, 07:37 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 10,510

If you focus too much on finding a "deal", you're going to have cash in hand and be able react extremely quickly. It's a stressful process. You'll find that you'll waste a lot of time driving many miles only to find out that someone else got there first even though you talked to the seller and said you are on your way. Remember, these are not the "throw away" sports car anymore, they are becoming more valuable every day and you're not the only one looking for a deal.

If you have the money to invest in rustoring a 914, take that money and invest it in a car that is well sorted. A $15,000 914 is going to be cheap and able to hit the road immediately compared to a $2500 one that needs $15,000 of work and a year or two (or more) on jack stands. "Buy the best car you can afford" Is the phrase commonly stated around here and in any vintage car group.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jul 19 2017, 07:39 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 19 2017, 09:37 AM) *
...invest in rustoring a 914...

Ok, I dunno if that was a typo, but I lol'd.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Jul 19 2017, 07:40 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 10,510

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jul 19 2017, 08:39 AM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 19 2017, 09:37 AM) *
...invest in rustoring a 914...

Ok, I dunno if that was a typo, but I lol'd.

It was completely intentional (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
carking1996
post Jul 19 2017, 08:05 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 20,399

Sail area on the car looks rusted. Claims it's 'minimal rust'
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 19 2017, 08:07 AM
Post #14

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

What an ad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) . The seller did you a BIG favor jacking the price up. Increase your budget.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jul 19 2017, 08:09 AM
Post #15

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 19 2017, 08:41 AM) *

Uhh....we feel your pain, but that car looks like it has multiple issues. You might have dodged a bullet.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I wouldn't touch that car with a 10 foot pole. Loads of rust hiding all over that car, and the fender to cowl seals have been filled in, which usually means lots of bondo that's hiding rust. OP dodged a bullet on this one, in my opinion.
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jul 19 2017, 08:12 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 19,709

My thoughts are that a car is only worth what someone will buy it for. It was probably worth it at the original price, might be worth it to someone for the new price.

If you focus your attention and energy on automotive flippers, you're going to die angry and depressed. They've been around since the day the car was born, and they'll be here long after you're gone. That is of course unless a large asteroid comes and ends it all.

On mine I think I replied within 2 hours of it being posted in the early hours of the morning, paid for it that night.
+Quote Post
ljubodraz
post Jul 19 2017, 08:15 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 17,312

Nditiz, don't make me start my own rant about your own, less than stellar, dealing with me for a local-to-me PPI. You said you'd get back to me and never did. Not a big deal to me until you start complaining about others. Just saying.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jul 19 2017, 08:22 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 17,743

Hurts to lose a deal, and doesn't help the sting when everyone else just says tough luck. I feel you. Best consolation it that deals will continue to come along. Keep your eyes open and you'll get one, and some other chump that missed it will be on his forum complaining about you! :-)
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jul 19 2017, 10:00 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(ljubodraz @ Jul 19 2017, 06:15 AM) *

Nditiz, don't make me start my own rant about your own, less than stellar, dealing with me for a local-to-me PPI. You said you'd get back to me and never did. Not a big deal to me until you start complaining about others. Just saying.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Mike sorry I never got back to you I put that message out to a couple of people willing to do a PPI. I thought I had responded saying I already had it done by another memeber.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jul 19 2017, 10:10 AM
Post #20

Also, I was in no way looking for a flipper. Yes I love finding a "deal". My budget is not $3500 either it is closer to 10k. The sting of this rant is because I usually scour the local ads daily if not every few hours and missed this only to have it pop up for more money and nothing done to it. While I may have dodged a bullet the feeling I have not being able to drive a, rusty not sorted, 914 still exists. I figured even if it did turn out to be a turd I'd still have value in the motor/trans, unless I'm wrong about the value of the 2.0.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:13 AM