Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My rant
ljubodraz
post Jul 19 2017, 10:13 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,312
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 19 2017, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(ljubodraz @ Jul 19 2017, 06:15 AM) *

Nditiz, don't make me start my own rant about your own, less than stellar, dealing with me for a local-to-me PPI. You said you'd get back to me and never did. Not a big deal to me until you start complaining about others. Just saying.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Mike sorry I never got back to you I put that message out to a couple of people willing to do a PPI. I thought I had responded saying I already had it done by another memeber.

No you didn't.... because it didn't matter to you at the time and wasn't in your best interest to be straight forward. No worries (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 19 2017, 10:22 AM
Post #22

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

This might be a blessing in disguise. The "story" and bragging about his other vehicles is a little too much.

Wouldn't be surprised if the car doesn't sell for no more than $4K. Time will tell.

Flippers suck, but that is a part of life.

Move on and keep looking.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jul 19 2017, 10:27 AM
Post #23

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Often the one that "got away" is the one you don't need to get. At least you didn't spend a half hour hooking up your trailer and going to the bank to get the cash, then drove two and a quarter hours to find out the car was sold out from under you
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Jul 19 2017, 10:33 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 10,510

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 19 2017, 11:10 AM) *

My budget is not $3500 either it is closer to 10k.

If your budget is $10K, find a solid $12K driver and negotiate. Don't waste your time with rusty "deals".

I usually scour the local ads daily if not every few hours.

You and everyone else on this site, plus every car flipper and Porsche fan in the world!

I'm not currently able to buy, but I still search every day and dream (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif). I use searchtempist to search all craigslist ads around the country, I look at thesamba, pelicanparts ads, cargurus, ebay, bringatrailer, and here of course, plus a few others.

Don't just look local, search the entire country. Transport costs can be expensive, especially if you find one you like in Cali and it has to be hauled all the way across the country. But it can be worth it for the right car.

Good luck in your search!
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Jul 19 2017, 10:44 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 10,510

Heck, put a WTB ad in the classifieds. I'm sure someone around here has a decent car they would sell you that would fit your budget. Way easier to deal with a member than trying to be the first one to the Craigslist seller that will sell it from underneath you in a second for a buck and a quarter more than your offer.

You could try a WTB craigslist ad. I did that and had a great opportunity to buy a 75 1.8L in ancona blue for $7k. Seller responded to my ad, no other parties to fight with and a great deal from a nice guy. We spoke a number of times over a month while he was working on getting it out of storage, and by the time he called me to take a look at it, I was no longer able to buy for reasons I don't care to explain... The car later hit craigslist and sold in about a day. That's my "the one that got away" story...
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 19 2017, 11:53 AM
Post #26

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

PO painted over the rust, but the flipper didn't say that.
Not factory wheels, but the flipper didn't say that.
No pics of the battery area, even though the flipper knows 914s.
Flipper picked his words carefully so as to hide that it's a turd.

Worth $2500 if you really wanted a 2.0 and some of the parts. After a month seller is going to wish he took your ill advised 3500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Series9
post Jul 19 2017, 11:58 AM
Post #27

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

That car is a serious rust bucket.

Be happy.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Jul 19 2017, 12:26 PM
Post #28

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 19 2017, 10:58 AM) *

That car is a serious rust bucket.

Be happy.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Be glad you "missed out" on that one. No pics of hell hole. The rust on the sail panel looks like it was simply painted over at one time.

If you want to get in cheap, then I hope you have your own shop and welding skills. Buy as sub-$5K car and get to welding. Otherwise, you are going to have to spend north of $10K these days it seems (and the car will still have some rust issues but nothing terminal).

IMHO, the days of cheap 914's are gone. I have a 1974 2.0L Alaska Blue in my garage. It is currently being disassembled for restore but still has glass, doors, dash, suspension and motor in it ( http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=257306&hl= ). I would NOT take less than $12K for it today because the body is in good/great shape. And yes, it needs some minor/medium hell hole repair but the longs are solid. Anyway, just my opinion.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Jul 19 2017, 01:15 PM
Post #29

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Pictures say 1,000 words. Or, in this case, 15K in metal work and paint. You should go crack open a bottle of blue label and celebrate not buying that rust bucket.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 19 2017, 01:16 PM
Post #30

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hagarty is just one data point, not THE data point.
Buy low, sell high. Isn't that the point? People like to use flipper as a disparaging term but if you did the same in the stock market, you would call yourself a hero.
Yes, it sucks as a buyer when the market increases and cars cost more. The owners, investors and sellers aren't complaining.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Ed_Turbo
post Jul 19 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 21,151
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 19 2017, 06:14 AM) *

Many pics on this car, but none of the hellhole? Also the passenger door jamb does not look very rust-free to me. Seems funny for a longtime Porsche owner to omit this important area.

Yup, no pics in neither front or back where you will find the rust. I guarantee you there is rust where the fuel lines are. I am not an expert but I am understanding more and more on these 914's as I work on them.

I disagree with you can do whatever you want it is your car. That is crap. Learn how to do business the RIGHT way. I think you should pass on this simply because the guy is an amateur and do not do business with amateurs.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 19 2017, 01:41 PM
Post #32

Jackstands are my life.

That pic above is a perfect example of a flipper being (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) He couldn't invest 10 minutes to straighten the trim or correctly position the glass seal or the door seal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

Yes I buy cars low to sell high, but at least I recondition the car so it's better and adds real value. This seller is just profiteering.
+Quote Post
Ed_Turbo
post Jul 19 2017, 01:43 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 21,151
Region Association: Southern California

One more thing there is no video on how it runs or anything. Why would anyone want to buy a car without actually visually inspecting it and giving a test drive. Does not make sense to me. This guy is a joke.
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jul 19 2017, 01:47 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 19 2017, 02:41 PM) *

Yes I buy cars low to sell high, but at least I recondition the car so it's better and adds real value. This seller is just profiteering.

I wish I could do that, I always end up buying a car low, dumping a ton of money into it, then selling it for even lower, haha. (914 not for sale!)
+Quote Post
draperjojo
post Jul 19 2017, 01:52 PM
Post #35

sixstrings

Member No.: 5,317

In 1989 I was looking for a 914 and found a decent one. I negotiated and got the buyer down to $2100 although he wasn't happy he agreed to the price as he was unemployed at that time. We hopped in the Porsche to go to my credit union for cash when a van pulled up. "How much did he offer for the 914?" the guy in the van asked. When the guy in the van heard the number, he offered $500 more. The owner of the Porsche turned to me and said "Get out of the car!" ..... hahahaha, so I did.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jul 19 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 18,763

QUOTE(draperjojo @ Jul 19 2017, 11:52 AM) *

In 1989 I was looking for a 914 and found a decent one. I negotiated and got the buyer down to $2100 although he wasn't happy he agreed to the price as he was unemployed at that time. We hopped in the Porsche to go to my credit union for cash when a van pulled up. "How much did he offer for the 914?" the guy in the van asked. When the guy in the van heard the number, he offered $500 more. The owner of the Porsche turned to me and said "Get out of the car!" ..... hahahaha, so I did.

Draperjojo - that really bites, I would be pretty livid.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jul 19 2017, 02:58 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 18,763

Thanks everyone for making the sting feel better.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 19 2017, 03:51 PM
Post #38

Jackstands are my life.

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jul 19 2017, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 19 2017, 02:41 PM) *

I wish I could do that, I always end up buying a car low, dumping a ton of money into it, then selling it for even lower, haha. (914 not for sale!)

Don't feel bad. My stuff is mostly labor and it's newer cars not old rusty "classics".

It helps that I get emails from Craigslist for new posts of things I'd be interested in. Usually it's people tired of dealing with the problem/can't afford a mech. Few flippers actually want to fix cars. And I'm sure speaking English is a benefit.
I even once bought a 914 from a tow company auction. It had a rough life but the 2.0FI is nice.
+Quote Post
get off my lawn
post Jul 19 2017, 04:08 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 13,462

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 19 2017, 04:00 AM) *

So as some of you know I have been searching around Maryland for my first 914. 2 weeks ago on the 4th a seller named Jim in VA, 2 hours away, had a 72 with a transplanted 2.0 in it. He only had 2 pics and little to no info on it, but did have his phone number. I saw the ad 7 hours after it was posted to craigslist for $2500. I later received an email stating it was sold. 2 days ago this pops up on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172783341024?_trks...utorefresh=true

While the car does have issues, for $2500 Can it be all that bad? My rant is about the seller. I realize making money is nice and while everyone wants to make a quick buck it sucks to be on something I almost had. He now has it for sale at BIN $7800 or best offer. I offered him $3500 stating he would make a quick $1000. He declined. Sorry just wanted to get that off my chest.

You call that a rant?
Doesn't even qualify as a rant. Maybe a complaint, but certainly not a rant.

Some of us here are professional ranters!
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 19 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #40

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(draperjojo @ Jul 19 2017, 12:52 PM) *

Sounds like you had an oral contract with this guy. Any witnesses to the agreement?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:27 PM