Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> rear Valance question
Frankvw
post Jul 20 2017, 01:11 AM
Post #1

working on my first 914 !

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

Hi all, I went through the posts on valances, but did not find the answer (did learn a lot though so no time wasted)

I have a 73 1.7, the rear Valance under the backbumper has a cut-out as a notch to exit the tailpipe. I still have the old type mufller that has an exit in the middle, where endpipe is attached to, which ends through the rear Valance on the left side.
The NOS endpipe I scored on Ebay (a 021 251 171 M), is shorter then the one that was on the car, so.....it does not reach the nothed out clearance of the Valance. I took off the rearvalance, and started looking around if there are valances that are suitable for this pipe (in the meantime also for another endpipe of course)

Question : There are also rear valances with a hole cut out instead of a notch.
Is the location of that hole the same as the notch in the other type rear valance ?
Or is that located more to the center ?

Thanks for your feedback.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jul 20 2017, 06:33 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I did some quick internet searching, and it look like the part number for the tailpipe you need ends in "N", not "M". Couldn't find anything on the difference between the two, though.

I believe the valances with the holes are for early cars and are taller, with the hole in the same location as the notch in the later valances. Also, I have also read that the 914-6 valance holes are in a slightly different location than the 914-4 valances, but do not know the actual difference (amount, direction, etc.).
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jul 20 2017, 07:16 AM
Post #3

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

The 70-71 four cylinder cars were equipped with a deep valance with a round hole on the left side for the exhaust. The six cylinder cars had this opening further to the left. The 72-76 cars had a shallow or shorter valance with a notch or recess on the left side for the exhaust.
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Jul 20 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #4

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

Thanks for your feedback. Maybe I do need a 'N' instead...but I got that M-number from the Porsche PET.
Yes, the 914-6 rear valance hole is more towards the edge, that I found on the forum.
So, the round hole 914 valance is no option then. Thanks for sorting that out.

I have some options to solve this...a correct endpipe, another full exhaust, leave the rear valance off for now, leave the incorrect endpipe off, or.....have this nos pipe cut and welded. I already have it now and to have this steel pipe extended should not be too difficult for a company that welds.

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 20 2017, 12:00 PM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jul 20 2017, 10:27 AM) *

Thanks for your feedback. Maybe I do need a 'N' instead...but I got that M-number from the Porsche PET.
Yes, the 914-6 rear valance hole is more towards the edge, that I found on the forum.
So, the round hole 914 valance is no option then. Thanks for sorting that out.

I have some options to solve this...a correct endpipe, another full exhaust, leave the rear valance off for now, leave the incorrect endpipe off, or.....have this nos pipe cut and welded. I already have it now and to have this steel pipe extended should not be too difficult for a company that welds.

Frank, Jeff Bowlsby is your friend!

While he doesn't have photos of the mufflers/tailpipes & valances - he does have pix of the heat exchangers, muffler hangers, muffler inlets for comparison at the section linked below:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

I think that the 1.7 tailpipe you got may have been for the 2L Bus, since they were set up differently.

After or in 72 MY, VW-Porsche went away from the deeper "Snowplow" rear valance with the exhaust holes - to the shorter notched valances to avoid the problem of the deeper ones collecting snow. I'm pretty sure that they made the 2.0, 1.7 & 1.8 notched valances all the same.

When I looked at the PET, the "M" is for the earlier "hole" "Snowplow" deeper valance, & the "M" is for the later 1.7L 73 notched valance.

I'd suggest trading your M for someone's N - or buy an M & sell the M - if there are any more NOS N's out there. Also, Dansk is still making the N new as the current Porsche exhaust OEM I believe, so you can get one new from them.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:55 PM