Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grattan National, Race Report
groot
post May 16 2005, 11:03 AM
Post #1

Dis member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,444

Bad weekend. My fault totally, too. I ran very well on Friday considering everything. I'm finally faster than my old race car (ITB Rabbit) in this car....when it's running well. I need to go up another step in 5th gear because I was maxed out on the straight (5400 RPM and no power). Based on my data, I'm getting ~110 horsepower and 130 lb/ft of torque (peak at 4500 RPM), which isn't too bad. I'm below 100 hp and 100 lb-ft at 5200 RPM.

So, the engine started to run poorly on Sat, and I figured it was the weather change. So, I changed jets and did the emergency practice on Sun before the race. Still sucked, but even worse. So, I pulled the plugs (which looked great) and reran all of the wires, hoping it was a loose connection. No dice. So, I figured I'd run the race to try and get some points. I made it 10 laps before it really went dead. Turns out it was my battery. It was fully charged on Friday. I use a booster box to reduce the load during starting, but it needs to be charged between sessions, I've learned. I'm running a huge Optima, too. So, I learned a lot, but no points. A couple others didn't finish and I dropped out of 3rd place. I was nowhere near the pace.

I also learned that my steering rack mount is not strong enough, so I have to beef than up. The rack was moving when I turned in, creating quite a disturbing, disconnected feeling.

I still have a mystery oil leak that I need to stop, too. I've stopped many of them, but there's a high pressure oil spray on the driver's side of the engine that I can't locate. It doesn't leak in the pits.

Mid-Ohio in 2.5 weeks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 16 2005, 11:05 AM
Post #2

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Kevin, Keep learning! You gotta be on your toes when the REAL engine arrives- something this tuned doesn't take small mistakes lightly!
+Quote Post
groot
post May 16 2005, 11:09 AM
Post #3

Dis member

There were some good things, too.....

I've got some bugs worked out of my brakes. It's great feeling when you're still on full power as you drive right on by that last marker cone in the braking zone.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post May 16 2005, 12:00 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

Wow, Grattan huh... I love that track, raced bikes there every summer weeknight, for 6 years when I lived in Grand Rapids. Never been on it in a car though.

Bummer about the weekend, hope you have better luck at Mid Ohio

Ferg
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 16 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #5

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE (groot @ May 16 2005, 01:09 PM)
on full power as you drive right on by that last marker cone in the braking zone.

When you are going faster it won't be the same any more. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Sorry to hear you had troubles. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
I charge my battery between every session.
The learning curve in Prod can be pretty steep at times.
+Quote Post
groot
post May 17 2005, 05:00 AM
Post #6

Dis member

QUOTE (Racer Chris @ May 16 2005, 02:24 PM)
When you are going faster it won't be the same any more. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Very true. Thanks, Chris. I will definitely be charging my battery between every session now. I did some investigation last night and found out my coil's putting the biggest load on my battery. I will replace it just in case.

Also, my homemade steering rack mount was not flexing, a bolt had worked it's way loose.

Learning every day!!!
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post May 17 2005, 08:01 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,335

Glad to hear you got to the races, Sorry about the result, were over half the laps completed or NOT? If they were you will get credit for finishing and the point the way I understand it. I may be wrong.

As for the Battery, I also have an Optima and charge it evry session and throughout the night on Saturday between practice/Qualifying and the race. Also I have started charging it (the batt) prior to leaving the track after the race. My thoughts are most cells do not like to be left in a state of discharge for very long.

As for braking, when you get 90-100hp more than you have now, you can throw out just about everything you know as to how the car handles and performs (and brakes) now. It just won't be the same. But what will be the same is the lateral grip. So if you work on that you will be working towards your goal.

Are you going to Nelson Ledges. I am signed up. And if I get my transmission gears in time, I'll be all set. We'll see.

Erik Madsen
+Quote Post
groot
post May 18 2005, 05:31 AM
Post #8

Dis member

How are you guys charging your battery? Do you use a generator and a portable charger? or something else. So far, I'm not hauling a generator to the track and I'd like to keep it that way.

No Nelson for me. M-O the following weekend though. Then, BeaveRun. Hope to see you at one of those!
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 18 2005, 05:37 AM
Post #9

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE (groot @ May 18 2005, 07:31 AM)
How are you guys charging your battery? Do you use a generator and a portable charger? or something else. So far, I'm not hauling a generator to the track and I'd like to keep it that way.

No Nelson for me. M-O the following weekend though. Then, BeaveRun. Hope to see you at one of those!

I haul a heavy-ass noisy generator around. When I can afford it I'll be getting a Honda suitcase generator.
At some tracks where I rent a garage the generator is unnecessary.
I don't use a deep cycle battery because of the charge time required. I just use a regular cheap car battery since I expect it to die after a couple of years of abuse anyway. Constant depleting and recharging is hard on batteries. It's inside a marine container so the advantage of an Optima is minimized.
I'll look for you at Beaverun!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 07:57 AM