Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> engine installation
JFG
post Jul 23 2017, 05:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,869
Region Association: None

To summarise, my car came stripped with some known bits missing and probably more unknown missing.

Following yesterdays work i can now physically fit the engine & box. I need to do this aswell as i am running out of space to store & work around. My engine is built up except for the carbs & coil. Can these be fitted afterwards, even if it is a little awkward.? The engine lid is in one of my lofts so i have more space from up top to access the engine bay.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 23 2017, 05:35 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It's actually easier to install the engine with the carbs off. Just tape off the manifolds so nothing falls in.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Jul 23 2017, 06:45 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,450
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(JFG @ Jul 23 2017, 07:29 AM) *

To summarise, my car came stripped with some known bits missing and probably more unknown missing.

Following yesterdays work i can now physically fit the engine & box. I need to do this aswell as i am running out of space to store & work around. My engine is built up except for the carbs & coil. Can these be fitted afterwards, even if it is a little awkward.? The engine lid is in one of my lofts so i have more space from up top to access the engine bay.

Install engine w/o carbs for sure. But do a bench install of them and get the linkage issues worked out prior to installation of the engine in the car. Easier to work on the linkage when it's right in front of you. Make sure it's free and no binding. Add return spring and ensure throttles close. Also do your best to synchronize the carbs by eye - that is are they both closing together. Saves time and your back.
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 23 2017, 07:00 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Jul 23 2017, 06:45 AM) *

Install engine w/o carbs for sure. But do a bench install of them and get the linkage issues worked out prior to installation of the engine in the car. Easier to work on the linkage when it's right in front of you. Make sure it's free and no binding. Add return spring and ensure throttles close. Also do your best to synchronize the carbs by eye - that is are they both closing together. Saves time and your back.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Doing this today. Powerplant install tomorrow with carbs removed.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 23 2017, 08:29 AM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 23 2017, 07:35 AM) *

It's actually easier to install the engine with the carbs off. Just tape off the manifolds so nothing falls in.

Depends on how you're installing it, jack stands and jack for sure carbs off.

For those of us lucky enough to have a car lift and some kind of table or lift table, carbs on works well. You just have to take care with the sides of the carbs as it goes in.
A six with carbs is easier than a /4.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:11 AM