Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

93 Pages V « < 31 32 33 34 35 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2, 3.2 coming out and '95 3.6 going in...
mepstein
post Mar 24 2018, 03:16 PM
Post #641

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Really shouldn’t have happened to either of you. Since the cars were stripped down to bare metal, it’s not brain surgery how to prep and prime.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 24 2018, 03:18 PM
Post #642

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Thanks. Yeah, that's what keeps me going. Also, I am not a quitter. I love my car and want it done right and in my garage.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Mar 24 2018, 03:22 PM
Post #643

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

A gold car will need an especially pristine body!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 24 2018, 03:23 PM
Post #644

Michael

Mark - I know you had the same issues I had with your car in the same shop..... so I know you feel my pain brother.

It's like getting kicked in the balls every time we find more stuff that was done haphazardly, incorrectly and just sloppily. I paid good money and that is what I got. When you hold yourself out to be an expert, there is no excuse.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 24 2018, 03:24 PM
Post #645

Michael

Exactly, that is what Kent is working towards- and frankly, has already attained. Lawrence, sorry we did not get to meet at the Swap meet. I did see your car though. Nice- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
cal914
post Mar 24 2018, 03:38 PM
Post #646

Member No.: 14,366
Region Association: None

Does the previous guy (Scotty B) still have a car restoration it seems ,reading this thread and the original one that he wasn’t any good at all
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 24 2018, 04:10 PM
Post #647

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 24 2018, 05:23 PM) *

Mark - I know you had the same issues I had with your car in the same shop..... so I know you feel my pain brother.

It's like getting kicked in the balls every time we find more stuff that was done haphazardly, incorrectly and just sloppily. I paid good money and that is what I got. When you hold yourself out to be an expert, there is no excuse.

Yes, It was a long, expensive six years. When I brought my car to our shop, they couldn't believe it was worked on by another shop. When my guy showed me what still had to be done. I basically shelved the project for a while. It's been in storage for 2 years. I still have a long road ahead.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 24 2018, 04:18 PM
Post #648

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The primer issues is really strange.. I am not an expert but been around body shops my whole life ( my uncle runs a 1 man band since I was little) and have painted (bare metal) 6 cars myself. The epoxy prime is pretty straight foraward..

The one thing I will note is I never had any of the cars blasted but rather da'd. Prior to spraying primer

Kent any insight?
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Mar 24 2018, 05:40 PM
Post #649

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 24 2018, 05:18 PM) *

The epoxy prime is pretty straight foraward..

I learned from working in a body shop 30 years ago that you never trust what someone else has laid down as "primer" if you are going to do the final paint work. God and the person who sprayed it are the only two people to know what they did.

Nobody knows what they used to clean the surface either, which is what probably messed up the paint. I would guess that they used paint thinner instead of prep-sol. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 24 2018, 06:34 PM
Post #650

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Mar 24 2018, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 24 2018, 05:18 PM) *

The epoxy prime is pretty straight foraward..

I learned from working in a body shop 30 years ago that you never trust what someone else has laid down as "primer" if you are going to do the final paint work. God and the person who sprayed it are the only two people to know what they did.

Nobody knows what they used to clean the surface either, which is what probably messed up the paint. I would guess that they used paint thinner instead of prep-sol. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Good point..
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 24 2018, 09:09 PM
Post #651

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

QUOTE(cal914 @ Mar 24 2018, 01:38 PM) *

Does the previous guy (Scotty B) still have a car restoration it seems ,reading this thread and the original one that he wasn’t any good at all

He still has a shop and his shop worker isn’t there anymore. I had my car done when it was just Scotty, it was a quick job and it looks great to me. I also have longhood and 356 friends that have concourse winning cars done by him. The issues have come up whenever he tried to find a good helper for his one man operation or when he was laid up with a nasty illness a few years back.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 24 2018, 09:24 PM
Post #652

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 24 2018, 11:09 PM) *

QUOTE(cal914 @ Mar 24 2018, 01:38 PM) *

He still has a shop and his shop worker isn’t there anymore. I had my car done when it was just Scotty, it was a quick job and it looks great to me. I also have longhood and 356 friends that have concourse winning cars done by him. The issues have come up whenever he tried to find a good helper for his one man operation or when he was laid up with a nasty illness a few years back.

I guess if we go with the assumption that Scotty stood by, taking pictures and writing first person commentary on Michael's restoration over a five year period while his assistant mangled every bit of work to the car. OK, that works.

Actually, Scott did tell me multiple times to my face that he was the only one working on Michael's and my car. He said his assistant was learning but just did smaller jobs, paint removal and prep, ect. Even if it was the assistant doing the work, Scott lives in a room above his shop. Surely in the 5 years Michael's car was there, he must have peeked at the work.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 24 2018, 09:28 PM
Post #653

Michael

JmuRiz - I sent you a PM.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 25 2018, 06:22 AM
Post #654

Michael

Mark is right. But everyone already knows that. I was absolutely assured from day one he would be the only one to ever work on my car. We now know that was not the case - apparently.

This was a very, very expensive lesson for me. I trusted someone who came highly recommended by several senior members of this forum. I conducted my due diligence and was still taken advantage of in the end. After 61 months I pulled my car from his shop. I blame no one but myself.

I was fortunate to pull my car out when I did. That Jim, Kent and Andy had followed my thread and reached out to me was just the luckiest day ever. We have all seen the work Kent and Jim have done. Kent has turned my car into an absolutely laser straight beauty which sets the bar for any restoration, IMHO. Jim is getting all of my parts ready for assembly. His skill, knowledge and attention to detail is amazing. Everything is bagged and properly stored once ready for install. This is the level of work I expected when the word "restoration" was used. Thank you again Kent and Jim. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 25 2018, 07:31 AM
Post #655

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Disclosure is a GOOD thing. That an 'apprentice' might have been doing the work would have had my blood boiling.
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Mar 25 2018, 08:40 AM
Post #656

Member No.: 18,986

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but can you guys put the bashing and negativity to rest? I really enjoy seeing your car going back together so well, but the side story that has been stated over and over and over again is really detracting from the beauty of the work being done. I don't know the parties involved and frankly don't care.

Glad to see it looking so good now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

what is the patchy color on the body? a guide coat for block sanding?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 25 2018, 09:06 AM
Post #657

Michael

jmitro - Sorry. I have been pretty careful about "bashing" the former shop. I am sorry if occasionally a little, and I mean a very little, bleeds out. If that bothers you, and I understand that, feel free to skip past that stuff and just enjoy the pictures. However, I would feel somewhat responsible if anyone else to fall prey to that situation, there or elsewhere.

As to the comments of others, some who may know more than they let on, I can not control that. As for people who have seen my car at Kent's shop, they know the condition of the car first hand, seeing it with their own eyes. Pictures are nice, but in person reveals the truth.

I do appreciate your comments re the quality of the work my car is now enjoying. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 25 2018, 09:19 AM
Post #658

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 25 2018, 08:06 AM) *

jmitro - Sorry. I have been pretty careful about "bashing" the former shop. I am sorry if occasionally a little, and I mean a very little, bleeds out. If that bothers you, and I understand that, feel free to skip past that stuff and just enjoy the pictures. However, I would feel somewhat responsible if anyone else to fall prey to that situation, there or elsewhere.

As to the comments of others, some who may know more than they let on, I can not control that. As for people who have seen my car at Kent's shop, they know the condition of the car first hand, seeing it with their own eyes. Pictures are nice, but in person reveals the truth.

I do appreciate your comments re the quality of the work my car is now enjoying. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Complain all you want, Cairo. I believe you've paid for that right, in full. Most people would consider this a Public Service Announcement. Carry on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 25 2018, 11:44 AM
Post #659

Michael

Thanks.
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Mar 25 2018, 02:24 PM
Post #660

Member No.: 18,986

it should be a concours contender after this. I only wish I had that kind of skill
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

93 Pages V « < 31 32 33 34 35 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 06:09 PM