Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

93 Pages V « < 36 37 38 39 40 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2, 3.2 coming out and '95 3.6 going in...
bbrock
post May 3 2018, 01:34 PM
Post #741

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 3 2018, 01:01 PM) *

Could also use a hole saw in a drill press if needed..

That's the route I was headed but you tend to get just enough wobble on the saw to require dressing the edge, so I was thinking hand shear and sanding. Nice to see how well they turn out, but then again, it's Kent, so my mileage may vary. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 3 2018, 06:11 PM
Post #742

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I saw a comment a while ago about cars being pieced together, etc. and it got me to thinking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) So..... Kent has done a lot of work on my Six to correct old accident damage as well as work not done to the standard expected. I know some people may get upset when they see a car that has had panels replaced, perhaps feeling somehow that makes it less of a car. And I would generally agree with that premise if the work were not done to the level we have all seen Kent do. So, though my Six has undergone extensive surgery, in my opinion, all of Kent's work has been done to such a high level that even the Porsche factory would approve and consider my Six's metal work restored to "like original" condition.

This car is 48 years old and time, rust and accidents take their toll. When restoring these cars, we just have to do the best we are able to do. I want this car to represent the 914-6 model for years to come and long after I am gone. I believe that is the standard to which we are building my Six.

I want to thank Kent publicly for accepting my car into his shop to correct all of the bad work my Six presented upon arrival. Because believe me, whatever pictures we have posted only scratch the surface of the issues Kent had to deal with. I think it's twice as much work to correct bad work as it is is to just restore an old damaged car. Kent tackled my Six with enthusiasm, dedication and a skill-set I never dreamed existed. A skill set necessary to correct everything and give me, in my opinion, the perfect chassis, the chassis I wanted from day 1. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) I can't wait to see color on my Six. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I am still working to resolve my business with the old shop amicably. I hope that works out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 3 2018, 07:04 PM
Post #743

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

This /6 should belong in a 6 sided, temp controlled, fully mirrored room for eternity, and never driven. It sets the standard as high art.

Just polish and 6-8 coats of clear on the chassis - forget paint.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 3 2018, 09:51 PM
Post #744

Michael

Hi Jeff- This one will be driven. I will keep it nice, no driving in the rain, but it will be driven. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
db9146
post May 3 2018, 10:57 PM
Post #745

Member No.: 3,315

I'm probably going to need a shoulder and maybe a knee replacement in a few years. I'm kinda thinkin' I should book with Kent rather than my current ortho surgeon after looking through these pics!!!

If only I turned out as well after surgery!!!

+Quote Post
banananose914
post May 4 2018, 12:39 AM
Post #746

Member No.: 16,681

QUOTE(siverson @ May 3 2018, 12:06 PM) *

This is getting a bit ridiculous now!!!

-Steve

What does that mean?
+Quote Post
mb911
post May 4 2018, 05:14 AM
Post #747

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(banananose914 @ May 3 2018, 10:39 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ May 3 2018, 12:06 PM) *

This is getting a bit ridiculous now!!!

-Steve

What does that mean?

I am guessing over the top details in the build.. I think it would be over the top for my conversion car but if I had this car this is exactly what I would do..

This is so exciting for us to watch from all over the world.m very nice .. Keep the updates coming.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 4 2018, 07:50 AM
Post #748

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 3 2018, 06:11 PM) *

I saw a comment a while ago about cars being pieced together, etc. and it got me to thinking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) So..... Kent has done a lot of work on my Six to correct old accident damage as well as work not done to the standard expected. I know some people may get upset when they see a car that has had panels replaced, perhaps feeling somehow that makes it less of a car. And I would generally agree with that premise if the work were not done to the level we have all seen Kent do. So, though my Six has undergone extensive surgery, in my opinion, all of Kent's work has been done to such a high level that even the Porsche factory would approve and consider my Six's metal work restored to "like original" condition.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) This is the restoration nearly all others can only dream about. This level of "piecing together" is really no different than what the factory did when they pieced the cars together at the start. It's going to be hard for anyone to find evidence that Kent was even in there. That's the unrealistic vision I had for my own build, but lack the skills to achieve. It's inspirational to watch someone actually do it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 4 2018, 01:17 PM
Post #749

Michael

Thanks Brent, I appreciate that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
post May 4 2018, 04:48 PM
Post #750

Member No.: 17,275
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 3 2018, 05:11 PM) *

This car is 48 years old and time, rust and accidents take their toll. When restoring these cars, we just have to do the best we are able to do. I want this car to represent the 914-6 model for years to come and long after I am gone. I believe that is the standard to which we are building my Six.

I want to thank Kent publicly for accepting my car into his shop to correct all of the bad work my Six presented upon arrival. Because believe me, whatever pictures we have posted only scratch the surface of the issues Kent had to deal with. I think it's twice as much work to correct bad work as it is is to just restore an old damaged car. Kent tackled my Six with enthusiasm, dedication and a skill-set I never dreamed existed. A skill set necessary to correct everything and give me, in my opinion, the perfect chassis, the chassis I wanted from day 1. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) I can't wait to see color on my Six. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I am still working to resolve my business with the old shop amicably. I hope that works out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

You are very welcome Mike. I'm glad to be apart of this restoration.

+Quote Post
76-914
post May 4 2018, 06:12 PM
Post #751

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 3 2018, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 3 2018, 01:01 PM) *

Could also use a hole saw in a drill press if needed..

That's the route I was headed but you tend to get just enough wobble on the saw to require dressing the edge, so I was thinking hand shear and sanding. Nice to see how well they turn out, but then again, it's Kent, so my mileage may vary. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

You can negate that wobble. As soon as the arbor bit penetrates the metal and before the hole saw begins to cut, remove the arbor bit and replace it with a rod or tube of the same size. I use a 1/4" self centering punch.
The reason the hole saw wobbles is the arbor bit ovals out the pilot hole and allows the hole saw to dance about. By replacing the arbor bit with a smooth sided replacement the pilot hole doesn't enlarge which keeps the hole saw centered. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Sorry 'bout the high jack. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
post May 11 2018, 06:20 PM
Post #752

Battery tray is in And engine comp. Is primered.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
post May 11 2018, 06:24 PM
Post #753

A lot of work in the passenger comp.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post May 11 2018, 06:25 PM
Post #754

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

Wow...just, wow!
+Quote Post
post May 11 2018, 06:26 PM
Post #755

More oics.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
post May 11 2018, 06:27 PM
Post #756

Front fuel tank area.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
post May 11 2018, 06:28 PM
Post #757

More.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 11 2018, 06:45 PM
Post #758

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(914350 @ May 11 2018, 05:26 PM) *

More oics.

Are the holes for the back pad screws covered by the rear stiffener ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post May 11 2018, 07:25 PM
Post #759

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

so glad we get al the detail shots not saying I am ever going to be this good, but I have learned a ton, and got some great ideas for my builds that will be puled off at a fraction of the skill level show here. But I can aspire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 11 2018, 11:17 PM
Post #760

Michael

As good as it looks in the pictures, in person is 100 times better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

93 Pages V « < 36 37 38 39 40 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:57 AM