Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sitting with race tires on?, OK, or big no-no?
ChrisReale
post Jul 3 2003, 10:14 PM
Post #1

Sleazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 176

I see people at the Ax with Hoosier tires, and they have little cradles for their tires I assume so they dont get flat spots. I have had my Victoracers on for the last week. I have driven the car, so it hasnt been sitting, Im just too lazy to change back when there is a race on Saturday. Is this a bad habit? Whats the skinny on R Compound tires and leaving the car stationary for longer periods of time?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BravoHotel
post Jul 3 2003, 10:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 399

That is a question that I would like an answer to as well. I just mounted brand new Kumho V700's on my 16" Fuchs. The car sits in my garage for up to a week sometimes w/o being driven. Give us the skinny....

BH (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon14.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jul 3 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #3

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Don't the formula cars ect, just leave them on? I've never seen then change from "travel" tire to race ones when they unload then from the trailers.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 3 2003, 11:49 PM
Post #4

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

they may flat spot, but steel belted (someone correct me if I'm wrong) don't hold the flat spot like bias ply do. So if they do go and drive them around a bit to round them out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jul 3 2003, 11:58 PM
Post #5

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I've been running DOT-R tires on street and track for about 5 years now, and have never noticed any flat-spotting from sitting parked. My poor 914 currently sits about 2-3 weeks between drives.

Technically I don't think it would be "flat spotting" which is usually the term applied when you have uneven wear in the tire due to events like brake lockup. So whatever happens from parking would really be a slight out-of-round condition, and it seems to go away on its own in normal driving.

The main things to avoid, if possible, are (a) parking the car on its tires for a long period when the tires are really HOT (i.e. full race temps) or (B) parking or storing race tires in the sun or really hot places.
+Quote Post
post Jul 4 2003, 12:00 AM
Post #6

Group:
Member No.: 0

I keep mine out of direct sunlight, usually don't leave them mounted on my car because the car sits outside, and if they are off the car, stack them with garbage bags around them.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Jul 4 2003, 04:19 AM
Post #7

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

If you're not goning to use the car for a week then stick 45PSI in the tyres. I do this over the winter months.
+Quote Post
tryan
post Jul 4 2003, 11:17 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 184

the 4matic wagon would flat spot over night with michlen greens. very noticable to me , but after 3 miles they would warm up and lose the flat spot. very heavy car. very hard compound. i would air them up or move the car a couple inches every few days. you could always just lay the car on it side. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 4 2003, 12:39 PM
Post #9

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

get 4 jack stands and jack the car up while it's sitting in the garage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

that's what we do at the track between runs, if there's a lot of time to kill ...

later,
Andy

(IMG:http://www.sirandy.com/pix/racing/08.24.2002/IMGP0545.JPG)
+Quote Post
dbelleperc
post Jul 6 2003, 06:28 AM
Post #10

DoN't MaKe FuN oF mE i Am SlOw

Member No.: 418

The Kumho tires have the nylon around the belts so they do develop a flat spot but like seanery said do a little driving and heat them up and the nylon will round out again.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:37 PM