Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 03' boxster 5 spd, plain jane worth it ?, That many possible problems..!!
flmont
post Aug 3 2017, 09:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

I was looking at a clean 03' plain jane boxster has 40 K miles on it,..as I start to read up on that era car,..I was surprised it had so many possible issue's I knew of the IMS,and oil separator, but what's with the D chunking of cylinders, possible cracks in the heads ,..Etc Etc I realize not every car would have these issues but Damn I am surprised that Porsche's quality control could be that bad,Or they hired some rookie engineer's,..But , is it worth the 14 K the dealer is asking !! Thanks Frank (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
arne
post Aug 3 2017, 09:32 PM
Post #2

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Member No.: 20,799
Region Association: None

14k is top dollar for a car like that, compared to the ones here in Oregon. They seem to trade for 10k around here.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Aug 4 2017, 12:03 AM
Post #3

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

Its a gamble plain and simple

Why would you buy a car that you know has a higher potential
For catastrophic failure

And will be expensive to repair and maintain

Why dont you your just jump completely off the clif
And get a 03 ,911 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

And see how it holds up
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 4 2017, 12:33 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I had a non-S 5 speed for awhile. It was fun, but needed more power.

+Quote Post
jmitro
post Aug 4 2017, 06:06 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,986

just like everything on the internet, those issues have been widely debated and unnecessarily exaggerated.

You could probably get the car for $12k an have a really nice car for 1/4 of the new MSRP
+Quote Post
My 914
post Aug 4 2017, 06:50 AM
Post #6

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Aug 4 2017, 02:33 AM) *

I had a non-S 5 speed for awhile. It was fun, but needed more power.

I agree. I drove a non S one once and was not impressed.
+Quote Post
Porscheguy912
post Aug 4 2017, 07:07 AM
Post #7

porscheguy912

Member No.: 17,236
Region Association: North East States

I just purchased a 2001 Boxster S for $11,000 with newly replaced IMS bearing. I would recommend only an "S" with updated IMS. EBay has many for sale.
+Quote Post
csdilligaf
post Aug 4 2017, 07:25 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 14,397

While building my 914 I wanted something to drive and enjoy so I hunted for a Cayman S watching Craiglist like a hawke. A 2007 Cayman S with 93K miles popped up for $18.5K and I grabbed it. I could not be more impressed. It is a little under powered meaning as I shift through the gears I can have it floored and be waiting for the rev's to climb for the next shift. But I simply love the car over all and assume the Boxster S to give the same smile. Wait for the right deal and be ready to jump on it.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 4 2017, 08:07 AM
Post #9

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I read an article a few weeks ago that said to find a nice clean S that needed a clutch or was nearing a clutch replacement and factor that with an IMS replacement to swing a deal. Providing you can do the work yourself, you might get into one without too much pain
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 4 2017, 08:19 AM
Post #10

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

some may say that's too much but remember its not 140k miles its 40 k miles and that makes a huge difference! if you put 5k miles a year on it that's worth an extra 15 years of driving vs buying a high miles car- yes you would do the IMS and with a dealer yo might negotiate a lower price as that is top dollar- I had a 2000S I had for 3 years- bought for $12,500 drove for 3 years put 28k miles on it and sold it outright for same price as I paid for it!!!!! because I didn't want to do the IMS and clutch and tune etc that was due at 90k miles- but great car!
6 months ago after looking again for a few years for another one, I picked up a 97 base 2.5 L car with only 35 k miles- I paid a very low price for the car- mint on the inside, top like brand new because the owner used the hard top or no top at all - its really clean with a few dings but mechanically previous original owner had the vac lines belts etc all done before listing it for sale - I just put new tires on it - fun car but its a bit under powered - I will upgrade the brakes and shocks- oh, and the IMS in early cars is a dual row, less than 1% failure rate- much better than the 04-05 cars larger bearing. but if it goes you can always do a LS conversion! for half the price of a new Porsche motor-
lots of cars out there so you don't have to rush- the O/A thing is no big deal , did mine on the S myself-
also look at the option list - my S had a base price of $49k, and $12K worth of options!! yet on resale and second hand you can get all that ess for free-
Good luck with your search- if the car is pristine clean car fax good maintenece history I would offer them $10k, see what the say- but for that mileage $12k will be a good deal. Clutch wont need it until 80 k miles so drive and enjoy!
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 4 2017, 08:39 AM
Post #11

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(jmitro @ Aug 4 2017, 08:06 AM) *

just like everything on the internet, those issues have been widely debated and unnecessarily exaggerated.

Tell that to the guy who's '04 C4S engine I pulled out two days ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Any '00-06 single row bearing I say get the IMS done now.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 4 2017, 09:05 AM
Post #12

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 4 2017, 10:19 AM) *

but if it goes you can always do a LS conversion! for half the price of a new Porsche motor-

Well that statement is a little misleading.
Apples to apples
A full on 996 pro rebuild using nickies with install is going to run you around $30K, but to get Renagade to do you a full LS3 conversion is also going to cost you $30K.

Even DIY using Renagade kit (full kit almost $7K) will run you at least $12-15K depending on the engine.
If you are super talented, can fab everything, use a LS1 5.3 (used) you might be able to come out sub $10K...just maybe.

Building a 996 engine right now and also researching the conversions, so I know I'm not too far off on this.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Aug 4 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #13

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 4 2017, 11:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 4 2017, 10:19 AM) *

but if it goes you can always do a LS conversion! for half the price of a new Porsche motor-

Well that statement is a little misleading.
Apples to apples
A full on 996 pro rebuild using nickies with install is going to run you around $30K, but to get Renagade to do you a full LS3 conversion is also going to cost you $30K.

Even DIY using Renagade kit (full kit almost $7K) will run you at least $12-15K depending on the engine.
If you are super talented, can fab everything, use a LS1 5.3 (used) you might be able to come out sub $10K...just maybe.

Building a 996 engine right now and also researching the conversions, so I know I'm not too far off on this.

Did you attend Raby's M96 class? I did and it was excellent....pretty much a prerequisite if you want to rebuild a 996.
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Aug 4 2017, 11:59 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 18,986

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 4 2017, 09:39 AM) *

Tell that to the guy who's '04 C4S engine I pulled out two days ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

you just proved my point. the failures are all over the internet, but how many people with non-failures are out there enjoying their M96 engine with no problems?

sucks for the 1/1000 that have a catastrophic failure, but let's be real....how many catastrophic M96 failures are out there?
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Aug 4 2017, 03:48 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

QUOTE(jmitro @ Aug 4 2017, 09:59 AM) *

you just proved my point. the failures are all over the internet, but how many people with non-failures are out there enjoying their M96 engine with no problems?

sucks for the 1/1000 that have a catastrophic failure, but let's be real....how many catastrophic M96 failures are out there?

More than 1/1000, sure tons of owners got lucky and during the ownership period had no issues, but how comfortable are you dropping 15-25k on a sports car knowing that is has a flaw that could maybe possibly cost you 20k if not addressed.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 4 2017, 04:10 PM
Post #16

that's what I do!

QUOTE(jmitro @ Aug 4 2017, 01:59 PM) *

Enough...
I also have a '99 C2 in here 130K km (80K miles) thrust bearing shot, damaged crank, cylinders #5 and 6 scratched and over .006" out of round.
I can also see from a previous repair that it has an almost new replacement head on one side.
But hey...the IMS bearing looked good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Racer
post Aug 4 2017, 06:29 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I ran a 2000 base model 5spd with some fancy sport package (18" wheels, interior upgrades etc. plastic rear window) . The car was a hoot. I was looking for a "modern" 914 with AC and heat and this was it. It understeered a bit much and didn't want to rotate as much as the older cars but was a good "weekend" car for me. However, I could never shake the feeling that the engine was just waiting to fail on me. Had it about 1 year.

From what I've read on the interweb, not all IMS fixes are a be all end all cure. Then again, not every car's engine blows up catastrophically.

If you can live with the risk, you might like the reward!
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 4 2017, 08:15 PM
Post #18

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

After reading this thread and not knowing what IMS is, I read up on the IMS used in Porsche engines. What a dumb piece of engineering to put sealed ball bearings inside the engine. I don't think I'd want to come anywhere close to owning one of the MY cars affected.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Aug 4 2017, 08:34 PM
Post #19

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

At least the interior on the 03 and earlier look good. Personally, I don't really care for any of the interiors of the Porsches after that year.

As my screen name implies, I had a 2002 2.7L Boxster 5-speed. It was a fun car. Certainly, not a straight-line racer but could hold it's own from 3rd gear up with a 2003 Bullit Mustang that my friend drove. It was a great car to cruise long distances in for me (Phoenix to LA at the time). My back was younger then too.

However, today I would get the 6-speed S with 252 HP and one that has had all the big issues remedied. In some ways, a car with more mileage may be in better shape.
+Quote Post
arne
post Aug 4 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #20

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Member No.: 20,799

I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that the IMS issue is more common on low mileage cars, cars that sit a lot. Cars that are driven regularly don't seem to be as prone to this, from what I've seen.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 03:39 AM