Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 03' boxster 5 spd, plain jane worth it ?, That many possible problems..!!
flyer86d
post Aug 5 2017, 04:18 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,585
Region Association: North East States

That is what we have found. I bought a 99 with 115K on it with a weak clutch from its original owner. Great car, fast enough for me with heat and a/c. It came with a file folder as thick as a large town phone book of all of the service records and they did most everything but the clutch and IMS. I parked it in the barn after the clutch gave up completely two weeks after purchase. Life and cancer caused it to sit until spring 2016 when I pulled the trans and fixed it. Frankly, it was fairly easy to work on, the exhaust was the biggest pain to remove. The clutch disk was worn to the rivets but it failed and ruined the slave because the release arm broke. The IMS bearing was straightforward to change once you were in there and the original looked so good I could have sold it on eBay! I had to have the alternator rebuilt as it wouldn't come alive after sitting.

That is about it. Great car for the money and the engine noise is glorious when you are on it! It's a hoot to drive. I have about 122k on it now. I do store it for the winter but the original owned did not and it is still here and rust free.

Charlie
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
flmont
post Aug 6 2017, 11:14 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

I thank everyone for the info,..I went to go and drive it,..it was out on a test drive and then sold,..didnt even get a chance to sit in it...what a pisser,..Iam looking for a hiway star for long weekend trips with my honey..but,..I will now look for the S but low miles equals well kepted cars to me...
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Aug 6 2017, 12:37 PM
Post #23

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 6 2017, 10:14 AM) *

I thank everyone for the info,..I went to go and drive it,..it was out on a test drive and then sold,..didnt even get a chance to sit in it...what a pisser,..Iam looking for a hiway star for long weekend trips with my honey..but,..I will now look for the S but low miles equals well kepted cars to me...

Im telling you dont do it

Or go lease one so if the worst happens
Its not on you

Been down this boxster road , its a miscalculation
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Way better off

Look for a miata , toyota mr2 latest gen
Or a z3 ,z4 bavarian

Even a mazda rx8 .

Save a ton of money and pain in ass

Still fun cars too
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 6 2017, 12:47 PM
Post #24

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 6 2017, 01:14 PM) *

,..I will now look for the S but low miles equals well kepted cars to me...

I know this sounds weird but the cars that seem to have the most issues with IMS are the low mile "driven by granny" type. Often it seems the IMS fails between 40-60K miles.
Cars that have been spiritedly driven with over 80K are often fine.

I wouldn't even consider a 996 without a full PPI by a Porsche shop.
This should include an oil analysis, sump and filter inspection, code check to look for over-rev, borescope on at least cylinder#5 and 6, plus general inspection.

If the seller tries to talk you out of a PPI walk away.
Any tickety-tic noise that doesn't go away, again walk away.

Daily driver I strongly suggest an IMS (2000 up), water pump, thermostat and coolant (every 4-5 years), and of course change the oil on time every time with porsche approved (A-40) oil.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 6 2017, 04:46 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

There appears to been issues with these cars,there are documented problems with the engines however they did build a very large amount of these by Porsche standards,appears some have problems and an even greater number didn't.
A good friend bought one that had had the common issues addressed @ an official Porsche dealership in my country only to find later that the PO wasn't totally honest and the clutch went after 6 months ,that really cost him $$$.
The earlier cars aren't worth much now so this makes it easier for a buyer to really shop around for a good price,sounds like the OP's choice is rather expensive for that year/model.
Remember when these cars came out and motoring writers said they were good ''but do we need another 2 seater convertible on the market " ?,appears they have been a real top seller for Porsche along with the Cayenne.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Aug 7 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #26

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

Daily driver I strongly suggest an IMS (2000 up), water pump, thermostat and coolant (every 4-5 years), and of course change the oil on time every time with porsche approved (A-40) oil.

'

If that doesn't convince you not to buy the car
What would (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 8 2017, 06:36 AM
Post #27

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I would think a Boxster with a RL / Odyssey / Pilot 3.5 motor would be very interesting.
+Quote Post
My 914
post Aug 8 2017, 07:01 AM
Post #28

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928

QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 6 2017, 01:14 PM) *

Don't sweat it too much. It sold because you weren't meant to have it.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 8 2017, 07:42 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) There are HUNDREDS of them out there for sale. They are still decreasing in value so you can wait for the right one.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
flyer86d
post Aug 8 2017, 08:26 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 12,585

I am just happy to see that people are still bashing these cars and the 996's. It is continuing to hold the prices down so we can afford them. They are terrific cars if driven/maintained properly like any Porsche.

When you think back, most Porsches have had some common flaw that has the potential to cause an expensive failure. Many of these cars are now sold to the Everyman who can afford them and they expect, because they are expensive, a trouble free and low maintenance car. And they are for the most part. There is a flaw though which has been well publicized. They are now old enough that the offending part has been changed on many or if not, the price should reflect it. My best advise is to buy one that includes all of its service records

Charlie
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 8 2017, 08:50 AM
Post #31

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Aug 8 2017, 05:36 AM) *

I would think a Boxster with a RL / Odyssey / Pilot 3.5 motor would be very interesting.

I'd take one with a 4.2L Audi v8. Pretty sure it'll fit without much problem.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Aug 8 2017, 10:39 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

The Excellence Buyer's Guide that came in yesterday's mail has a great article on the IMS bearing issues. I hope that Porsche has finally figured out how to make these live!
+Quote Post
Racer
post Aug 8 2017, 04:05 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 8 2017, 12:39 PM) *

The Excellence Buyer's Guide that came in yesterday's mail has a great article on the IMS bearing issues. I hope that Porsche has finally figured out how to make these live!

lol.. yes.. they stopped selling them and their cruddy design for the 2009 model year (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 8 2017, 04:42 PM
Post #34

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(flyer86d @ Aug 8 2017, 10:26 AM) *

I am just happy to see that people are still bashing these cars and the 996's. It is continuing to hold the prices down so we can afford them. They are terrific cars if driven/maintained properly like any Porsche.

When you think back, most Porsches have had some common flaw that has the potential to cause an expensive failure. Many of these cars are now sold to the Everyman who can afford them and they expect, because they are expensive, a trouble free and low maintenance car. And they are for the most part. There is a flaw though which has been well publicized. They are now old enough that the offending part has been changed on many or if not, the price should reflect it. My best advise is to buy one that includes all of its service records

Charlie

I'm not bashing them, in fact I'm seriously thinking of a C4S, maybe next year.
Anyone who hasn't driven one has absolutely no clue as to WTF they are talking about.
Also consider this, it's a high end sports car, a pro built 911 AC engine can easily cost the same as a 996 engine.
A Ferrari costs $18K just for the 20K tune up.

They are still a $30K plus car, $35-37K for a C4S.
For one with a done right new engine I can see over $40K.

If I can find a good condition but blown C4S for sub $10K, stick a new engine in it, I'd consider it a good deal.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Aug 8 2017, 07:32 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

Yes,..and that's the beauty of my 914,.2 months away from driving,,( if no major problems show up).I know its reliable for the most part unless it blows a trans or my 3.3 suby gives up ..but both of those fixes should be under a grand !!!

I didn't think the boxster was such a gamble even after the IMS.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 9 2017, 09:11 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 73

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 8 2017, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(flyer86d @ Aug 8 2017, 10:26 AM) *

Charlie

I'm not bashing them, in fact I'm seriously thinking of a C4S, maybe next year.
Anyone who hasn't driven one has absolutely no clue as to WTF they are talking about.
Also consider this, it's a high end sports car, a pro built 911 AC engine can easily cost the same as a 996 engine.
A Ferrari costs $18K just for the 20K tune up.

They are still a $30K plus car, $35-37K for a C4S.
For one with a done right new engine I can see over $40K.

If I can find a good condition but blown C4S for sub $10K, stick a new engine in it, I'd consider it a good deal.

Yeah I would love to have a 996 Carrera 4. Prices seem to be steady on those unfortunately (for a buyer).

I'm no basher either. As with any car there are issues that can be expected. Most car models end up dying off but with Porsches that won't happen. There is a process by which crappy ones are parted out or junked and many change hands from unappreciative owners to enthusiasts, then supply dips below demand and the price levels off, gradually climbing. Any issues like hell hole rust, IMS bearings, chain tensioner issues, etc are corrected as well. It sure took a HELL of a long time for 914's to appreciate significantly!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:47 PM