Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 Recognition at Spokane Parade
stevesc_us
post Aug 7 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,569

Nice to see our cars getting this kind of recognition at the most recent Parade in Spokane.

Has anyone seen this car? Looks like Adriatic Blue.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=2082391
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 8 2017, 05:50 AM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 8 2017, 03:52 PM
Post #3

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Without a doubt a great looking car.
But the blue bezel around the gauges?
Not a big fan.
+Quote Post
914runnow
post Aug 8 2017, 09:50 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,948

a Real stand up guy.....was fun to talk to...has an entire book on the build..really kool..awesome car...for those dollars you will need to see it in person..AND I love the Bezel....ohhhh Mexico blue..loved Spokane..!!Had an xlnt time with the Canadian folks..
+Quote Post
dug
post Aug 14 2017, 08:41 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,382

Nothing against the car as a good looking and fun driver, but I don't see how this won an award as a GT tribute. I suppose it was the only one in the category.

The only thing I see in the samba pics that is "GT" on this car are the flares and the hocky puck horn button.

The dash has late style vents and that ignition key bezel is not original 914-6. Blacked out trim, etc, etc...

It's basically a nice flared hotrod 914-6 with a 3 liter and some other custom touches. But it doesn't even come close to being a GT tribute IMNSHO:)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 14 2017, 09:00 PM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Remember, the M471 cars were also GT cars, steel flares, spacers, 6" wheels. Not much else over a stock 6.
+Quote Post
dug
post Aug 14 2017, 10:43 PM
Post #7

An M471 option 914-6 is not a GT to me. What makes them a GT to you?

The GTs were race cars with lightweight bodywork and interiors, chassis reinforcements, complex and expensive oil systems, twin plug engines and many other modiciations described with detailed parts lists in a sports purposes manual published by Porsche and extremely well documented in photos by people like Glenn Stazak and Armando Serrano.

The M471 option was simple, flares and wheels just as you described. They are a beautiful, wonderful version of the street 914-6. But those changes alone did not make a car into a GT. For those of us that have worked hard to pay attention to all these details, it is disheartening when someone, let alone PCA judges, fail to recognize the many differences.

I guess the word tribute carries more respect for the original to me.

If I was in charge of classing and judging cars, this is a resto-mod.
Tributes to me are far more accurate recreations than this.
If that's not what a tribute is, then I don't know what to call cars like Eric Shea's and Armando's.

Ok, I'll stop now...
+Quote Post
Furia62
post Aug 15 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 14,930

dug... nail on the head +1
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 15 2017, 02:48 PM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(dug @ Aug 15 2017, 12:43 AM) *

An M471 option 914-6 is not a GT to me. What makes them a GT to you?

The GTs were race cars with lightweight bodywork and interiors, chassis reinforcements, complex and expensive oil systems, twin plug engines and many other modiciations described with detailed parts lists in a sports purposes manual published by Porsche and extremely well documented in photos by people like Glenn Stazak and Armando Serrano.

The M471 option was simple, flares and wheels just as you described. They are a beautiful, wonderful version of the street 914-6. But those changes alone did not make a car into a GT. For those of us that have worked hard to pay attention to all these details, it is disheartening when someone, let alone PCA judges, fail to recognize the many differences.

I guess the word tribute carries more respect for the original to me.

If I was in charge of classing and judging cars, this is a resto-mod.
Tributes to me are far more accurate recreations than this.
If that's not what a tribute is, then I don't know what to call cars like Eric Shea's and Armando's.

Ok, I'll stop now...

This is what Steve Gaglione says about the M471 cars:
Jeff is correct. There was an M471 option available for the 1974 914-4 2 liter cars. However it was not related in any way to the M471 option that was available for the 914-6 in 1971 and 1972. The factory produced approximately 23 914-6's with the M471 Competiton Option Group (15 in 1971 and 8 in 1972). The 15 produced in 1971 were originally intended to become racecars but most were eventually sold as GT look-a-likes for the street. Porsche considered the M471 optioned 914-6's produced in 1971 as factory GT's along with the 33 914-6 GT racecars that were produced in 1970 and 71. The fact that the factory was only able to document 48 factory produced cars (500 required to be homologated) in 1970 and 1971, eventually the SCCA disqualified them from the class they were competing in, resulting in the factory withdrawing their support.

Note: the quantities used above are approximate and are based on Porsche documents from the early 70's.

n June 1971, documentation detailing 914-6 GT production was prepared by Porsche’s Jürgen Barth and telexed to Hoppen. The two-pager detailed 48 factory-built “GTs,” 13 of which were M471 cars (though one chassis was listed twice and one “M471” didn’t actually have the option, leaving a true 46).

- this and other M471 owners, experts and info is what makes them a a GT to me.
+Quote Post
dug
post Aug 16 2017, 06:41 PM
Post #10

"The 15 produced in 1971 were originally intended to become racecars but most were eventually sold as GT look-a-likes for the street."

He says it right there... the M471 cars were GT look-a-likes. NOT full GTs.

M471s are very special cars. But with 33 real factory GTs and many more dealer GTs that were built with full race parts from the factory, I stand by my stricter definition of a GT tribute.

Obviously with parts scarce, there will be a spectrum of completeness. But a parade winner should be a pinacle of achievement, not just someone that slapped on flares and a pretty paint job with a later engine with single plug, MSD and red plug wires! If the rest of the car was correct 914-6 parts, then he firmly in M471 tribute territory, but he didn't even bother to get a factory 914-6 oil filler neck, or even a new GT repro from SMC.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:59 AM