Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ok, here's a strange problem for y'all...
mike_the_man
post May 17 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #1

I like stuff!

Group: Members
Member No.: 809

Here's whats happening. When driving straight, the car is fine. But as soon as I turn the wheel a little bit to the left, I hear what sounds like a low grinding sound. It happens when I turn the wheel just a little off center, and it does not get any louder the sharper I turn. It also only happens when turning left, not right. Also, the faster I go, the louder it seems to get. On the high way, it's pretty loud. and it sounds like its coming from the front, but I'm not sure on that.

I've replaced just about everything in the front end. New shcoks, bushing, ball joints, tie rods, and wheel bearings. I haven't checked the bearings since install, but it made this sound before all the front end work, so I find it unlikely that it would be bearings. I was wondering about the top strut bearing? Thats about the only thing I can think of. I plan to check the front wheel bearings just to make sure. Beyond that, any suggestions?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post May 17 2005, 08:39 PM
Post #2

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (mike_the_man @ May 17 2005, 09:28 PM)
Here's whats happening. When driving straight, the car is fine. But as soon as I turn the wheel a little bit to the left, I hear what sounds like a low grinding sound. It happens when I turn the wheel just a little off center, and it does not get any louder the sharper I turn. It also only happens when turning left, not right. Also, the faster I go, the louder it seems to get. On the high way, it's pretty loud. and it sounds like its coming from the front, but I'm not sure on that.

I've replaced just about everything in the front end. New shcoks, bushing, ball joints, tie rods, and wheel bearings. I haven't checked the bearings since install, but it made this sound before all the front end work, so I find it unlikely that it would be bearings. I was wondering about the top strut bearing? Thats about the only thing I can think of. I plan to check the front wheel bearings just to make sure. Beyond that, any suggestions?

ok, you said all new wheel bearings, but does that include the rear bearings? because if I was having this issue, I would check the rear bearings first... I could be wrong...
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post May 17 2005, 08:39 PM
Post #3

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

You say it may not be from the front. I once had same experience with a 911. It was rear wheel bearing. The noise came from the "outside" bearing on the turn, so if you only hear it when turning left it would be right rear wheel bearing. The outside is loaded on the turn. The noise was louder with speed. Jack the rear and see if you can feel anything while turning the wheel and compare feel/noise side to side.
+Quote Post
john rogers
post May 17 2005, 08:40 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 391

You might want to check the pinch bolt at the bottom of the strut where it is clamped to the A-arm. The strut bottoms have been know to get the hole elongated and cause problems.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 17 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

hmmm, a bad wheel bearing does get louder under load (cornering) but usually, they don't shut up if you're driving in a straight line ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post May 17 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #6

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 17 2005, 09:42 PM)
hmmm, a bad wheel bearing does get louder under load (cornering) but usually, they don't shut up if you're driving in a straight line ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) Andy

actually... my old 914 did this... it was fine tootling down the road... but if you made a right turn, it sounded like the world was coming to an end... ok, maybe not, but it was loud...
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post May 17 2005, 08:49 PM
Post #7

I like stuff!

I haven't replaced rear wheel bearings yet. SIGH! More work to do. While I'm at it, I guess I replace the rear bushings as well. Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll check a few things out this weekend and report back.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post May 17 2005, 08:51 PM
Post #8

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

I've also had wheel bearing noises that go away while you're going straight, but come in when you turn, even slightly. I've also had a loose bearing that would be quiet when turning in one direction (it was under load and no longer loose), but it would make noise at all other times.

I'd start checking the rear, now that you've gone over the front. Rear wheel bearings and CV joints.
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post May 17 2005, 08:54 PM
Post #9

I like stuff!

Ya, I think CVs are worn. There is quite a bit of rotational play in them. Time to throw some more $$$ at the car!

+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 17 2005, 09:31 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I have to agree with the masses Mikey.. rear wheel bearing. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

B
+Quote Post
brp914
post May 17 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #11

Unregistered

speaking of cv's, seems they are NLA. Now what do we do? Is this a temporary thing like how intermediate plate bearings and rod bearings disappeared for a while a few years ago? I'm skeptical of low $ rebuilts.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 17 2005, 09:52 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

You are correct Brian.

The new axle assemblies are NLA from Porsche.

Contact HPH at 650-364-6234. He bought several sets when we found out Porsche was down too 10 pairs or so.

One other place on the easyt coast bought some at the same time..

B
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 01:38 PM