Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Distance to the moon . . ., going to need one of these for the 914
anderssj
post Aug 10 2017, 10:38 AM
Post #1

Dog is my copilot...

Group: Members
Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I've used these on a couple of our old Volvos:

Attached Image

During my post-MX check drive today, I noticed I'm within about 150 miles of needing one for the 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

May have to see if I can get something like this made. Anybody else getting close?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 10 2017, 10:55 AM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

My 2nd owner since 12/75 `73 914-2.0 is at +/- 172k, but I probably won't drive it as much after the resto/repair to ever reach that level.

However, our 2 DDs: original owner `88 Westy is at 225k+/- & OO `85 BMW 325e is at 200k+/- so they may soon "reach the moon."

Also, our son's `88 Honda Civic DX Hatchback is at 225K+/- & he drives it a lot as one of his/wife's DDs, & it has been in my wife's family since new with 2 of her 5 brothers as owners. so he's also close & does more annual miles than we do, so he'll hit it before us.

I'd love to get some of those decals, if you ever do them. Just send a PM or start a new Buy/GB topic on here.

PS - Since our Westy will hit it first, I'lll put it right next to this decal: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
... ^ to the left is the Proud Parents of a Soldier" decal which peeled off & I need a new one, so "Moon" would go to the right or above the "0-60: 30 mins." one.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Aug 10 2017, 11:26 AM
Post #3

Dog is my copilot...

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 10 2017, 12:55 PM) *

I'd love to get some of those decals, if you ever do them. Just send a PM or start a new Buy/GB topic on here.

Tom
///////

Will do! It will look nice shining down on the Westy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
911buff
post Aug 10 2017, 12:57 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,390
Region Association: South East States

I'm not sure which is more impressive, the 914 making 238K miles or the odometer actually working to record the event! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Thinking about it, would have to be the odometer... I have every confidence in a 914 lasting forever, just not the odometer. That might be a fun thread; "Who still has a working odometer?"
+Quote Post
stugray
post Aug 10 2017, 02:15 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

QUOTE(911buff @ Aug 10 2017, 12:57 PM) *

Thinking about it, would have to be the odometer... I have every confidence in a 914 lasting forever, just not the odometer. That might be a fun thread; "Who still has a working odometer?"

Wait! These Odometers were supposed TO WORK?

That is a new one on me..... In fact, I don't think Ive ever had a 914 that had a working speedometer.... who needs that?

I drove my first 914 for years with a missing angle drive on the trans.
Finally replaced the angle drive and broke the speedo cable in the first 10 miles.
Never replaced the cable after that...
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 10 2017, 08:48 PM
Post #6

TMI....

Two things on the 914 odometers (& speedometers/etc. gear) -

1st - You have to log the 100,000s manually in a log book with a 5-digit odometer (i.e.: how many times it's "turned over");

2nd - stuff like the speedo/odo/cables/angle drives/ etc. can & will break over time - on ANY vehicle of any make or model - so you have to fix the stuff & check the entire system out after fixing one item (e.g.: Stu's speedo cable had probably seized before the break after years of disuse). And if you get your speedo rebuilt - like I did in 1982 - then you need to ask them to set it at the prior mileage to keep it accurate.

But I know a few members on here have "turned over" at least 3x for 300K - so our little 914s do have some longevity.

I think there are a few on here you have made the moon - perhaps even a few to the moon & back - maybe even Stu, but he doesn't know, nor really care I guess! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Aug 10 2017, 10:09 PM
Post #7

Dog is my copilot...

OK Tom,

I contacted Dave Barton who put together the original. He's already put together a generic version for non-Volvo folks:

Attached Image

I originally thought about "car"--but wasn't sure where your Westy would fit, so I suggested he use "vehicle" instead. A little broader, and I thought it sounded kind of "NASA goes to the moon" too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If you're interested, here's a link:

http://www.prancingmoose.com/carstickers.html#vehicle

BTW, I have no relationship with Dave or any of his products--I'm only in it for the sticker for the 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 11 2017, 10:36 AM
Post #8

TMI....

Thanx Much Steve!

I can get them for both our Westy & son's Honda, & probably a couple of extras for the BMW (maybe 914?), & in case they peel/fade or I need to change a rear window, etc.

At +/- 30000 mi/yr per car at this point - what with both kids grown & gone, & wife working 2 mi away & me at home office + meetings/site visits/etc. out - it may take a few years to actually get to the 239K odo reading though with the Westy & BMW.

However, our son may make it within a year - depending upon how much He & wife drive the Honda DD after he gets his new Tesla S 75D later this month. He was doing +/-20K mi/yr with the Honda in local DD + 2 trips/yr of block leaves from Ft Carson/Colorado Springs to OC/SoCal & back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Aug 11 2017, 12:37 PM
Post #9

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

Easier to reach...problably with a working odo meter
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 11 2017, 02:12 PM
Post #10

TMI....

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Aug 11 2017, 11:37 AM) *

Easier to reach...problably with a working odo meter
Attached Image

There are sellers on TheSamba.com who sell that &/or similar badges, FYI for anyone who wants one, but AFAIK not available in miles.

And I've almost earned 3 for my 914, 3 going on 4 for the Westy, & 3+ for the BMW - if there's a BMW equivalent! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

PS - To save you the time of googling for a conversion to miles > 100,000 km = 62,137.119 miles

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Aug 12 2017, 02:14 PM
Post #11

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

I've been to the moon and back
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 12 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #12

TMI....

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 12 2017, 01:14 PM) *

I've been to the moon and back

Sorry Curt, those "trips" in Thailand don't count! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Aug 13 2017, 06:38 AM
Post #13

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Those trips were in Norman, ok. Lol. Aww! College in the seventies.
+Quote Post
mankowski
post Aug 13 2017, 07:50 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,335
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Mine's had at least two odometer failures! A receipt from the original owner shows an odometer repair in Feb. '90 (167K) and then I repaired the gears after it stopped at 229K.

Now, there are just a few hundred more miles to go to get to the moon (currently at 236,837).

Thanks for telling us about this milestone in time for me to celebrate! And, count me in for one or two of the decals...

One of my Vanagons is getting close, too (224K). And it's odometer was broken when I bought it, so who knows how much more it may have.

And, my Tercel (245K) has been to the moon, but of course, lots of those make it there (and no broken odometers).

Most of my free time seems to go to keeping these vehicles running for their trip back to Earth!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:36 PM