Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 930 Porsche short 4-speed transmission question, What about putting a turbo charger on it?
burton73
post Aug 11 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #1

burton73

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

930 Porsche short 4-speed transmission question

Cable shifting.

I have been working on my V8 conversation for 8 years. I have done just a little a bit of work on the body of my car but now I am at the point where I am thinking about the shifter for the trans. The idea was to use a Cable Shift unit from the web for 930. My Transmission is inverted with AN fitting for oil cooling and has the big buck rebuilt done 10 years ago from G- Box. It is just the way it was when I bought ArmyDudes car with it mounted in but never was run. I called G-Box and they say it is good for more that 650HP. I have 930 CVs and 930 Stub axles. I will need axels. PMB did the conversion to the 5 lug and put the rear 911 E brake in. Brakes are from a Boxster rebuilt by rich Johnston. Front suspension is rebuilt from a Carrera. Hydraulic master for Clutch and duel brake masters. I have to install all of this stuff.

So I find my self looking at a number of our member’s cars and seeing what they did with their Transmissions. The Subaru Transmission look easy enough as far as the linkage with a MR2 box. What ideas do our experienced members have on my car and what can they tell me to help guide me in this long project. I would rather buy the linkage than build it but I could build it.

I called Renegade and the owner said I should change to a Boxster box, as it is cheep and would work with a boxster shifter and they have the parts to sell me. He said that the Synchros would go out if the shifter was not set up right. So one may question changing to a different Transmission. I know that 930 boxes are notchey as far as the shifting but I am not racing, not that I would not want to burn rubber. I did have my CV pop on my 1st. 914- Chevy in 79 and I only had 200HP in a 283SBC with stock 5speed.

My Engen is going to put out over 400FPT. I question if I want more power just because I can have it. I sold my 2015 Corvette Z-51 this year and I like the feel of torque when I punch it. I have lived my life, as a guy cannot have enough power in a striate line.

Bob B

Last picture is showing the set up when I got ArmyDudes car. The primer picture car is a different super clean 74 that I got from Craig at the Camp 8 years ago

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image

What about putting a turbo charger on it?

I am thinking that as my 930 transmission can handle 650 HP or more, is there a simple turbo system that can be bolted up to my engine and not need an inner cooler and run through engines originally equipped with a carburetor like Edelbrock’s complete line of EFI systems. Just an idea at this point.

What do you know?

Bob B

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Spoke
post Aug 11 2017, 06:38 PM
Post #2

Jerry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Wow! That looks like a real monster. I have a 930 in the garage and the shifting is a bit "notchey" as you mention.

I notice the box is upside down from the 930 stock installation. I'm assuming it doesn't matter which side the oil sits in the box (top or bottom)?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:26 AM