Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 74 1.8 oil breather and fill seals/gaskets, Need help with gaskets needed - Free Seals for all from McMark
J123young
post Aug 12 2017, 08:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,801
Region Association: None

Need your help please .......so I purchased a new cork gasket that goes underneath the breather box. looks like someone put gasket seal where the filler neck bolts on to the breather box. where can I find this seal? having a hard time finding the right one. Also the breather hose, what size it. Does anyone have a list of all the gaskets and the hose size? Where to purchase them. Don't want to order the wrong ones.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
ndfrigi
post Aug 12 2017, 10:59 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

try 914rubber

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Oil-tower-gasket-914OTG.htm

or this one from pelican:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/022-...amp;SVSVSI=.htm
+Quote Post
J123young
post Aug 12 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Aug 12 2017, 11:59 AM) *

Is there a gasket or seal for, the filler neck to the breather box?
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Aug 12 2017, 03:54 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

Auto Atlanta has the exploded view drawings that show all the parts and what order.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/h...;section=114-05

I think you are asking about #1. As a matter of fact, I can see the o-ring still installed on the tube that slips into the box.

If you have FI, vacuum leaks cause issues. This area needs to be sealed up tight. The car will not even run with the oil fill cap removed.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Ed_Turbo
post Aug 12 2017, 04:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,151
Region Association: Southern California

I think it is this one: 021-115-137-OEM

Checked on Pelican Parts but looks like it iis no longer available. Probably best bet is see if someone has one lying around here they can give you or just use a little silicone sealant for a temp fix.

You can also probably go to an autoparts store and see if they can find one close to that size in the back.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 13 2017, 08:19 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Decided to take a look at this with some spare components I had at the shop.

I had ordered these X-style o-rings for another project and tried them on the filler tube. They work perfectly.

PM me your address and I'll get one sent out to you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Actually...
I'll send one to everyone that want one, as long as you promise to install it and post a picture as soon as you get it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Using bribery to get people to work on their cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
J123young
post Aug 13 2017, 12:26 PM
Post #7

also looking foe the breather hose..Ive been to 4 different auto parts store today and nobody has anything that fits..
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 13 2017, 02:29 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Do you not own a tape measure? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

But maybe you don't realize your filler neck is from a 1.8 L-Jet 914. That is the least common setup, and the factory documentation is missing some details on the later engines, specifically for things like that hose size. So maybe you're thinking that hose is the same as everyone else on here, but it's not. A minority of people have that hose and even fewer know the size off the top of their head.

Give us all a hand and take a measurement to get us started and if you put in a little work, maybe everyone else will be more willing to help you out.
+Quote Post
J123young
post Aug 13 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 13 2017, 03:29 PM) *

But maybe you don't realize your filler neck is from a 1.8 L-Jet 914. That is the least common setup, and the factory documentation is missing some details on the later engines, specifically for things like that hose size. So maybe you're thinking that hose is the same as everyone else on here, but it's not. A minority of people have that hose and even fewer know the size off the top of their head.

Give us all a hand and take a measurement to get us started and if you put in a little work, maybe everyone else will be more willing to help you out.

Looks to be I/D of 7/8 and 11" long (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Aug 13 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(J123young @ Aug 13 2017, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 13 2017, 03:29 PM) *

Looks to be I/D of 7/8 and 11" long (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yup, 22mm. But even the old ones seal up decently with a hose clamp on each end. Looks like you have one, just grab another.

The 22mm hose you can find but it's pricey. I believe it was Sierra Madre that had it. Or Pelican.

There are of course, a few gaskets and a spring inside the cap, too. If you look carefully at the inside of the cap, you will notice that the center is really a breather. Air/oil mist would travel up through the center of the cap and out the side of the inner cap, where the spring resides. The lower gasket on the cap keeps the oil from splashing up to that hose you have, making sure it goes through the center of the cap. The upper gasket on the cap keeps the system sealed. You should have both seals or you'll have more oily residue travel through that hose to your throttle body than you'd like.

And while you're at it, but one of 914Rubber's airbox to Throttle body hoses for the 1.8L. They're great, supple (instead of the rock hard piece that's in there now). Keep the metal tubes sticking out of the old elbow though, you'll need to reinstall on the new piece. Many of those elbows are a source of vacuum leaks on the 1.8L, and usually underneath close to the TB, where you can't readily see it.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 14 2017, 06:29 AM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Check this thread for a not-so-pretty-but-it-works solution. You can also ask your FLAPS (Favorite Local Auto Parts Store) if you can wander around the back and look for a coolant hose that would work.

The hose you're looking for isn't just a piece of hose, it was molded from the factory into that S-shape. Coolant hoses on water cooled cars are also molded, and there are 4 to 10 different ones for every kind of car. So there's a lot to look through, but that also means theres a pretty good chance of success. Take the hose with you and hold it up to see if it matches. And you may not find one that's perfect as it sits on the shelf. You may have to buy a big convoluted hose with multiple branches and just cut off the section you need and toss the rest.
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Aug 14 2017, 07:17 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 13 2017, 06:19 AM) *

Decided to take a look at this with some spare components I had at the shop.

I had ordered these X-style o-rings for another project and tried them on the filler tube. They work perfectly.

PM me your address and I'll get one sent out to you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Actually...
I'll send one to everyone that want one, as long as you promise to install it and post a picture as soon as you get it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Using bribery to get people to work on their cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I'll take one! Looked for the OEM unit but never did find one. PM headed your way.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 14 2017, 09:52 AM
Post #13

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

I could look at doing these. I'd about 30 @$25 to make this a reality. That and something that resembles the original shape of the hose. It wouldn't be covered on braded cloth. Wondering if most would prefer to just use a more flexible slightly longer hose to make the bend? I can bring some of that in in bulk to cut down on the cost.

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 14 2017, 10:05 AM
Post #14

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Part number for the seal at the base is 022 115 331
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 14 2017, 01:25 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 14 2017, 11:52 AM) *
Wondering if most would prefer to just use a more flexible slightly longer hose to make the bend? I can bring some of that in in bulk to cut down on the cost.

The two ends where it attaches are just too close together. I've tried generic hose and you end up with a huge loop to make it work like that.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Aug 14 2017, 01:55 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 14 2017, 02:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 14 2017, 11:52 AM) *
Wondering if most would prefer to just use a more flexible slightly longer hose to make the bend? I can bring some of that in in bulk to cut down on the cost.

The two ends where it attaches are just too close together. I've tried generic hose and you end up with a huge loop to make it work like that.

That is how I had to hook up my AAR..... when I had it attached to the engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) . Now that is a very short hose and a tight place to assemble.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Aug 21 2017, 07:57 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Thanks. Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Aug 21 2017, 12:05 PM
Post #18

Got mine in the mail on Friday. Should have some time to install and snap a phot or two today or tomorrow.
+Quote Post
75914-L20C
post Aug 21 2017, 01:03 PM
Post #19

It isn't what you drive, but how you drive that counts.

Member No.: 5,204
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thanks Mark! I installed my new seal on Saturday.

- Pete
Attached Image
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Aug 22 2017, 09:25 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 13,164

Thanks out to Mark @ Original Customs for the free o-ring.
Attached Image

Now for the rest of the story. When I rebuilt my engine 7 years ago the gasket was missing for the oil filter console so I made one and after 2 attempts I got it to seal. Today, I found the gasket incorrectly installed under the oil filler neck. So happy Mark offered the free seal because that area has always seeped oil and being a csob 914 owner I figured it was cheaper to just keep wiping it clean. One again one of our excellent member vendors made my day. Thanks again.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:55 AM