Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ignition switches, how they fail
McMark
post Aug 13 2017, 08:24 AM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

As 3D printing has evolved I've wondered if someone would pick up this project and do it right, once and for all. It's a complicated little part, but I would be happy to pay a premium for a part that I knew was designed and built well and addresses these issues.

Seems like the biggest issue could be just the material choice. Perhaps that type of plastic isn't up to the job... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 13 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #22

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 13 2017, 10:24 AM) *

As 3D printing has evolved I've wondered if someone would pick up this project and do it right, once and for all. It's a complicated little part, but I would be happy to pay a premium for a part that I knew was designed and built well and addresses these issues.

Seems like the biggest issue could be just the material choice. Perhaps that type of plastic isn't up to the job... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I have a switch off of a VW and it has a metal case. I know it's off of an air cooled, I think T3.
I'd have to dig it out of my stash, very similar, but I know it wouldn't work on a 914 as it has wire leads.

Just mentioning this as a metal case could be made to work.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 13 2017, 11:37 AM
Post #23

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Anyone with first hand experience on the German ones? $40 or whatever for a switch that won't leave you stranded at the worst possible time is cheap insurance.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 13 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #24

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 13 2017, 01:37 PM) *

Anyone with first hand experience on the German ones? $40 or whatever for a switch that won't leave you stranded at the worst possible time is cheap insurance.

I would see if you can get it from your local Porsche dealer. I don't ever get charged a shipping fee and stuff usually comes in quickly even when the have to order from Germany.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 13 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #25

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Yes! I'm not sure if it's the same for earlier cars but the one I got from a Porsche dealer was about 35 bux IIRC

No problems after 3 or so years, the cracked original required a lot of torque to get the starter to engage; it gave up pretty quickly at a gas station nearby. I used the opportunity to clean up the steering wheel lock, change the bearing, and some other things, while I was in there...

Attached Image

Here you go
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Aug 13 2017, 04:18 PM
Post #26

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Porsche OEM only, the cheap knockoffs do not last. Sometimes you need to buy several just to get one that works.

Be sure to lube the assembly as it goes in the barrel with silicone oil or silicon grease, because it binds easily as it rotates and can contribute to the case breaking.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 13 2017, 06:08 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Yea have seen that metal switch Mark ,got to be better,however if you have a less than average electrical system wiring wise or a dying starter surely that would have some impact on a less than well made aftermarket unit....must do.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Aug 13 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 18,763

I did call the local dealership, but the guy on the other end seemed below par for working in parts as he asked me for my whole vin number after I gave him the digits for my 73. I didn't have the part number and not sure he quoted me correctly but said somewhere around $170.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 13 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 14 2017, 07:12 AM) *

Yes! I'm not sure if it's the same for earlier cars but the one I got from a Porsche dealer was about 35 bux IIRC

No problems after 3 or so years, the cracked original required a lot of torque to get the starter to engage; it gave up pretty quickly at a gas station nearby. I used the opportunity to clean up the steering wheel lock, change the bearing, and some other things, while I was in there...

Attached Image

Here you go

Type 1 part if I remember right,if I'am wrong please correct me...interesting,you have to love that german name on the bag (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
So I may be guessing but think maybe first of the 1500cc beetles up to the superbeetle ,will check that part number and see.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 13 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #30

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 13 2017, 08:16 PM) *

I did call the local dealership, but the guy on the other end seemed below par for working in parts as he asked me for my whole vin number after I gave him the digits for my 73. I didn't have the part number and not sure he quoted me correctly but said somewhere around $170.

I use our local one pretty frequently for small parts. I also get a shop discount. If you figure out the correct part number, let me know and I'll get you a price. I'll only charge you what they charge me. I drive past on my way to work so I stop in often.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 13 2017, 06:48 PM
Post #31

that's what I do!

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 13 2017, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 14 2017, 07:12 AM) *

Attached Image

Here you go

Type 1 part if I remember right,if I'am wrong please correct me...interesting,you have to love that german name on the bag (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
So I may be guessing but think maybe first of the 1500cc beetles up to the superbeetle ,will check that part number and see.

Yes 111 xxx xxx is a type one VW part number.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 13 2017, 06:57 PM
Post #32

that's what I do!

111-905-865 L

Type one 1974 to 1998, I assume they mean Mexican and Brazil beetles
T2 (bay van) 1974 to 1979
Vanagon 1980 to 1992 except models with door buzzer.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 14 2017, 03:50 AM
Post #33

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

I don't know what the part numbers are, all I can say is that the part that came in that bag is now in my car, and works great... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Aug 14 2017, 05:39 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 10,428

Thanks for the info on the "Genuine Porsche" switch. I went through Pelican to get mine. Upon notification that the part came from Germany, I kept that order and ordered a cheap one to keep my car going.

Installed the cheap one last year...it's failing after about 8000 miles.

I'll be installing the Genuine Porsche, hoping for more longevity.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Aug 14 2017, 06:02 AM
Post #35

Does anyone know if the part number above will work in a 73? I thought the last character "L" had to be a "K" or something else (another thread talked about it I think)
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Aug 14 2017, 07:16 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 14 2017, 05:02 AM) *

Does anyone know if the part number above will work in a 73? I thought the last character "L" had to be a "K" or something else (another thread talked about it I think)

According to Pelican site the K is for 70-74 and the L is for 75-76. I bought the Meistersatz brand from Pelican in April and it's already starting to fail. I too was surprised by Pelican after ordering a genuine Porsche to get an email stating it would be a 20% increase and 5-6 weeks. I cancelled the order because I needed the switch for WCR and bought the Meistersatz, but now I'm In the same boat getting ready for RRC. I'll rig up a bypass wire until I can install an OEM switch.

I wish Pelican would stock the damn switches. Seems like there is enough demand to justify.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Aug 14 2017, 08:22 AM
Post #37

Coming from aircooled beetles I am wondering how this part would fair:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsL...m?ID=111905865K

WW is usually spot on with period correct parts and genuine german made items. More so than cip1 and some of the other beetle parts suppliers. It doesn't give any details on origin or manufacturer though. I may just get this to compare. If it passes all check tests we could start using this as a replacement.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Aug 14 2017, 11:35 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 13 2017, 03:12 PM) *

Attached Image
Our friends at AA quote the same P/N Official Porsche ones are $45 and change

Here you go

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:14 AM