Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Automatic Transmission, Any automatic 914's out there?
mb911
post Aug 14 2017, 05:59 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 14 2017, 03:12 PM) *

i thought only the/6 had sporto's. i dont know about 22k for one. i will sell the whole thing (pedal cluster, shifter, servo, harness, trans, linkage, oil tank and lines, etc.) for $1250.00. i dont see why it would not work on a /4. its just a 901 box.

Becuase of the pump that is driven off of the cam on a six. You would need to figure that out for a 4.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Aug 14 2017, 07:00 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

i dont know much about them, where is the pump located? what does the pump do? in researching using the engine in a conversion there is no mention of a pump. i know the oil tank is larger to accomodate the extra fluid for the torque converter, but have seen nothing on a cam driven pump.

/
+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 14 2017, 07:04 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 14 2017, 05:00 PM) *

i dont know much about them, where is the pump located?

Its driven off the cam off of the cam tower.
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Aug 14 2017, 07:18 PM
Post #24

PET does not show it for the 905. i will have to look at the car tomorrow. it does show a vacuum tank. perhaps the pump is on later versions of the sporto?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 15 2017, 11:46 AM
Post #25

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 14 2017, 12:41 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Aug 14 2017, 12:03 PM) *
we herewith inform you that of the type 914/6 Sportomatic we built a total of five cars for experimental purposes.

Not this again ...

Note that the rest of the info from Pano is also in the post, saying 25 were made.

It does show that it is difficult to get consistent info about these cars from when they were made.

I don't believe the totals count the one Six Sporto prototype that we know of in Germany. Nor does it count the four-cylinder Sporto prototype that we have heard rumors about but not seen actual documentation of.

I have seen two 914-6 Sporto cars so far. There was a silver one at the Partsheaven swap back when they were on Winton, before they moved to their present location. (Yes, that was a long time ago!) There was an orange or red one more recently, I think at Parade one year?

--DD
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Aug 15 2017, 12:13 PM
Post #26

after a little more research, the 914/6 the clutch servo vacuum is operated by a vaccuum cannister from the intake manifold. according to pet, different manifolds for sporto. there is a cannister for sale on ebay for $195.00. the 911 is operated by pump off camshaft. setting the sporto up as a 914/6 application on a 914/4 does not look difficult unless i am missing something.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Aug 15 2017, 05:40 PM
Post #27

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Georges Sportomatic at AA

1971 Porsche 914-6 Sportomatic. These pictures are interesting. I have never seen the shifter or brake pedal or rear of car.

No contest here just showing our members.

Bob B
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=616
253]Attached Image
+Quote Post
DM_2000
post Aug 16 2017, 05:49 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 21,351
Region Association: None

I came across this site while searching for Celette frame machine info for a non Porsche project. In the 90's got my 914 and I was on Renn list when John D started it from the left overs of an e mailing list. Maybe Porsche list?

In the early days, you would have your e mail address added to a list on a server, other users would send an e mail to the server then it would rebroadcast to all users either in real time or once daily. One could also request a list of subjects or a certain days mailings.

Anyway. . . . In the early 80's I actually drove a Sporto a short distance ( parking lot to shop ), I'm not sure if it was a 6 because there were 2 other customer cars that were a 4. Given the posts here, I'd say it was a 6. One of the mechanics thought I'd be confused by no clutch pedal but they were unaware that I was familiar with the VW sporto so there was no drama. I also knew arcane things like that a SAAB 99 / 900 had a hood that popped up in the front / slid forward then tilted forward and the ignition key was in the floor.

The VW sporto was 3 speed with a torque converter, the 914 has 4. Power flow was engine - torque converter - dry plate clutch - "standard" trans gearbox so this is a semi auto where one has to shift but not manually clutch.

The shift lever had a spring and electrical contacts at the base. When you pulled on the shifter the contacts made, actuated a vacuum valve that opened the clutch ( like pressing the clutch pedal ) , as you continued to move the shifter, the proper gear was selected. Let go of the shifter, vacuum valve closes ( with a short delay ) and the shift is complete.

The torque converter allows the car to remain in gear while not moving so you could start out in top gear if you wanted to. This was very slow and could overheat the converter fluid. ( VW had an over temp light, Porsche likely did also )

There is a torque converter charging pump run by a second stage on the Type I VW oil pump that draws ATF from a 911 dry sump looking tank. It would be possible to add a belt driven charge pump it you really wanted some sort of conversion.

The most direct route to a 914 auto might be a 73 ish to 81 ish Type 2 VW Bus conventional full auto as these came attached to the type 4 / 914 motor. However. . . The trans is facing the wrong direction. It _might_ be possible to flip the ring gear but most likely the trans would need to be flipped with lots of custom stuff. I'd probable try to flip the final drive housing then report / add external lines to the transmission portion. ( the final drive and trans were 2 separate units. )
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th April 2024 - 09:56 PM