Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AC on the cheap
bandjoey
post Aug 12 2017, 10:53 PM
Post #1

bandjoey

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you haven't been watching Zero Breeze then google it. Small portable scroll compressor AC unit that looked promising. However after raising over $1MILLLLIOOONNN it looks like it's just another scam. See the comments on their www.

So the transmission goes out on the Explorer Friday and can't be fixed until Monday, and I have to work. On the road sales. 98 degrees + humidity and my backup car is the teener.

Take a 28qt ice chest, blend it gently with hole saws, epoxy in a pipe and a fan.
Add a bag of ice and everything in the freezer and away we go. This really worked for an hour keeping me cool enough but not super cold. Then the ice melted.

Verdict? I'll be using it again tomorrow. Just know it's ah hour between ice stations.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
90quattrocoupe
post Aug 13 2017, 03:41 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,561
Region Association: Southern California

How about dry ice?

Greg W.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Aug 13 2017, 05:52 AM
Post #3

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ Aug 13 2017, 01:41 AM) *

How about dry ice?

You might want to monitor the CO2 level in the cockpit if you try this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Aug 13 2017, 06:43 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

BTDT. If you want to go to the next level in "cheap" AC, add a heat exchanger and water pump similar to the B-Kool (b-kool.net). I ended up buying a B-kool and have no regrets because it keeps me cool in the desert heat but you can copy the design for half of what I paid. I didn't get good results with just air blowing over the ice...but then again I live in the desert where it hits 120F.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 13 2017, 08:01 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Use a 914 heater aux fan for MUCH more airflow. That style of fan, in that orientation is pretty inefficient. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Also, if you didn't already, extend the blower pipe to near the bottom of the cooler to get the air to spend more time in contact with the ice.
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post Aug 13 2017, 08:38 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 839
Region Association: Northern California

Looks like something Ellyut would invent. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 13 2017, 11:16 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Aug 13 2017, 07:38 AM) *

Looks like something Ellyut would invent. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Mine had an enclosed water system that circulated water through a coil of copper tubing that was immersed in a cooler of ice water to a heat exchanger with a blower motor circulating the cold air. It was not an evaporative system and worked great for a few hours. I have a two hour bladder anyway, so a stop for a men's room and more ice wasn't a problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Unfortunately it turned into one of those projects that got put on the back burner that might be re-visited someday soon. In the future sometime. Maybe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I don't drive the 914 everyday and when it gets really hot I drive my F-150 that has great air conditioning.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Aug 13 2017, 05:59 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 13 2017, 07:01 AM) *

Use a 914 heater aux fan for MUCH more airflow. That style of fan, in that orientation is pretty inefficient.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Would create a lot more airflow and be more correct for the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:12 AM