Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for a Hi-torque starter, recommendations appreciated
Cairo94507
post Aug 17 2017, 10:31 AM
Post #1

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

So I need a starter for my 3,2 motor going in my Six. I would like to upgrade to a hi-torgue starter since I am replacing the questionable starter that came with my 3,0. I am hoping some members have experience with this and can recommend a good quality unit. I did a search and learned a bunch about fitment issues and other starter related maladies, but I just want to know what is the bests unit to buy.
Thanks everyone. Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
burton73
post Aug 17 2017, 10:59 AM
Post #2

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

I was over at AASE sales looking and I saw this. Not sure if it is good but there you have it.

Bob B

https://www.aasesales.com/collections/new-products

(New) 911/912/930 Aluminum Lightweight High-Torque Starter - 1965-86
$250.00
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Aug 17 2017, 11:56 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Many of the starter problems are actually inadequate voltage getting to the starter solenoidas the ignition switches get old. Have you tried adding the Ford solenoid into the circuit (as described in other posts) and checking that the ground strap is making a good connection? The Bosch starters can be rebuilt and provide excellent service.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Aug 17 2017, 12:19 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Run a bigger cable gauge from starter to battery, replace ground strap.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 17 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Thanks to all who have replied thus far.

OK - let me be a bit clearer in my request. My car is not running. It is being rust and body corrected by Kent in Torrance, CA, after being disassembled over 5 years ago by another.

I have an '87 3,2 freshly rebuilt and never run. I need a starter for that motor before the engine goes in the car - not in the very near future, but in the near future I hope.

So, I also have a NOS 914-6 wiring harness going in the car too. I expect the wiring will be perfect when installed since the harness is new in the box. However, I have heard many comment that a high torque starter is better on the engine as it fires up with less cranking. If I have to buy a starter, I would rather get the hi-torque starter right from the beginning. So that is why I am looking for real-world recommendations of Hi-torque starters. Thanks and sorry I didn't explain myself better in the initial posting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
kgruen2
post Aug 17 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,459
Region Association: Southwest Region

Consider this: I was told a high torque starter is high torque because it turns the engine over at half the speed of a standard starter, 200 rpm vs. 400 rpm. When it's time to start your engine, it will take forever to circulate the oil, unless pre-primed. I opted to go for the standard starter in my car with a freshly rebuilt engine. Just a thought.
+Quote Post
stanthedog
post Aug 17 2017, 02:52 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,656
Region Association: None

Might consider having your starter rewound to 6 or 8v. very popular years ago for big v8's. some bug people still run 6v starters on their big motors.
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Aug 17 2017, 03:02 PM
Post #8

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112
Region Association: None

I'm about to post a high torque starter in the classified section. It spins my 3.0 liter just fine, and almost as many RPM as when it is at a low idle. It was worth the $300 or however many dollars I spent on it, it just won't work with my Boxster S 6 speed.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:59 AM