Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> question for the brain trust, relocating fuel pump to front
hndyhrr
post Aug 17 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,332
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The pumpkin is a 70 1.7 with fi.

Took the pan off that covers the rack and pinion up. There is not enough room under there to mount the fuel pump and put the cover back on. Is the 70 body some how different up front? Are there different pan's that cover the rack?

Am stuck don't really want to put it in the front trunk and don't want to cut a door like where porsche changed it to.

oh hell think i'll go have a beer and think on it some more.

thanks for any ideas

Renee
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Aug 17 2017, 07:24 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

When I first moved the fuel pump to the front, I put it under the cover and had to adjust the cover with a hammer.

Didn't like it there and this time I put it under the tank. its even easier if you don't have a sway bar in the way.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Aug 17 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #3

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

It fits very very tight, pan may even bend a little.
You could convert to the later fuel pump, which has only one in and one out, slimmer body mounted in the same position simpler plumbing.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Aug 17 2017, 08:35 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

I put mine on the rear firewall under the engine compartment on the passenger side.

There are threads on this.

Way easier than the front. Been 8 years no issues and in temps way over 100 degrees.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 17 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

I think that you might be trying to place it in the wrong spot slightly, cuz this was the factory's Service Bulletin fix for the FP relocation to resolve the vapor lock problem on all 70-74 914s, & I don't think that they changed the steering rack cover/pan nor the body pan in the 70-74 MYs AFAIK.

It's placement should be over near center toward the passenger side of the 3-4" outlet hole where the fuel lines come out. It should make no difference to switch to a later 2-port pump space-wise, but it will complicate your replumbing to a 2-line system.

Also, the thing about putting the FP up inside under the tank as in the pic above, that I'm sure the factory also considered, is that you then would have to pull out the tank & all the plumbing & other stuff in the way, just to replace the pump or any lines which may leak. Putting it there can easily 2-3x the labor time or cost to do that otherwise simple operation.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of that factory Service Bulletin to show you, but here are some pix of mine done in the late 70's by my factory trained 914 mechanic (not pretty at this point). I'm not sure if he had to tweak my 73 2L's steering rack cover/pan, but I think not since it looks the same as the NOS one I have to replace the original in my resto. Hopefully it will give you a better idea how to place yours.

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

These weren't taken to show the install per se, but to document my tinworm assessment issues, but hopefully they'll help you placing it. The 2nd pic shows the "box" OE fuel filter up inside the portal FYI.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 17 2017, 09:06 PM
Post #6

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

I relocated the pump to under the tank by the driver footwell. The hardest part was fishing an extension cord-type 2 conductor wire through the tunnel.

While under the fuel tank, if hoses are made long enough, the tank can be removed without disconnecting the hoses.

I don't like the pump under the front steering rack as it's quite a dirty place as is the original location in the engine compartment.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 17 2017, 11:54 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Fitted a carter pump there no issues but think the stock FI pump being larger could be an issue,the replacement 2 port ones are smaller in diameter from my research,I personally like this fitment because it gives a contant "head" of fuel to the pump and it runs easier through the shorter fuel line which is better for the pump in the long term.
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Aug 18 2017, 08:55 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

late models had the fuel pump under the gas tank with an access panel from the trunk side (fuel pump is actually attached to the access panel).

Here is where mine is at (stock location for a 75)...note: it's a 911 fuel pump as I'm feeding a 3.2l...but the location is stock.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Aug 18 2017, 03:02 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 17 2017, 10:35 PM) *

I put mine on the rear firewall under the engine compartment on the passenger side.

There are threads on this.

Way easier than the front. Been 8 years no issues and in temps way over 100 degrees.

I agree. I moved mine there over 20 years ago with no issues. Much easier to change fuel filter too.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 19 2017, 05:40 AM
Post #10

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I used the AA kit about 20 years ago in my old gray AX car. It mounted next to the spare tire on the passenger side with holes into the fender well. It worked OK, and since it was an AX car, I was in there changing tires, etc at all events. I liked how easy it was to get to and install, but hated that fact that it was THERE.

For Dad's car, I moved it to the rear firewall after seeing all of the nice installs. I really like it there and so far so good. I also changed it from a 3 port to a 2 port.
+Quote Post
hndyhrr
post Aug 19 2017, 01:27 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Aug 17 2017, 06:24 PM) *

When I first moved the fuel pump to the front, I put it under the cover and had to adjust the cover with a hammer.

Didn't like it there and this time I put it under the tank. its even easier if you don't have a sway bar in the way.

Attached Image

prudy color and soooooo clean
+Quote Post
hndyhrr
post Aug 19 2017, 01:30 PM
Post #12

Thanks guys for your replies, pic's help alot.

In cleaning my fuel pump up notice that it has yellow junk yard makings on it so I am thinking to replace it, not that it doesn't work good it does but......

so next question is what brand should i buy and is the pump something i could get local?

thanks again
Renee
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Aug 19 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

I used a bosch 044 pump. two port and has plenty of pressure for FI
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:33 AM