Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Laminated rear window, anyone go down this path yet??
McMark
post May 24 2005, 10:32 AM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Any thickness increase will have a positive effect, but part of the success of laminated glass is the close, tight bond between the two pieces. I would expect a home-brew to be more.... "loose".
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post May 24 2005, 10:58 AM
Post #22

:: Punch and Pie ::

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'd be interested...

Hey, I've got two rears now...maybe I'll try to 'sandwitch them and see what happens!

j/k
+Quote Post
DougC
post May 24 2005, 11:09 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 2,307

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that an air cavity between two of the laminates would be better for sound deadening.. this may be a way of getting that done, at least on one side..the exterior side I would think. Laminate the interior lexan directly to the stock glass then a thin spacer around the perimeter on the exterior side and install the lexan snuggly.

Doug C
+Quote Post
Brando
post May 24 2005, 11:14 AM
Post #24

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

If it comes to a group buy on these I may be in for it.

I've laid down double-thick layers of sound-deadening material on the firewall. You'd be suprised how much of the noise really does come through the window. I have a decent-shape engine bay pad too! Still I have to yell on the freeway at times. I can't even talk to my passenger.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 24 2005, 11:14 AM
Post #25

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The air pocket would have to be completely devoid of moisture, though. Otherwise, you will get horrible fogging inside. I think that you woudl have better luck, and lower maintenence if you laminated two rears together. All you are trying to do is to get hte window not to resonate at the frequency of the engine, exhaust, etc. Higher frequencies. Laminates, I would imagine, resonate at lower frequencies because they have more mass to move.
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post May 24 2005, 11:20 AM
Post #26

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The problem is you would never be able to do it in a way that would stay clear. You are essentially trying to make a home made thermopane. Thermopanes are made in a very high tech clean/dry room using very expensive equipment and specially designed spacers and sealers to get and keep the interior air space clean, 0% humidity and air tight. Unless you were able to put your entire car in a room like that, even IF you were able to make a durable air tight seal(and thats a really big "if") you will end up with moisture in the air space that will eventually condense out, and fog your window. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

hahaha, Mike beat me to it.

If you are gonna laminate 2 widows together, I really think you'd be better off just getting a lami backglass made. I was looking at a back glass the other night, and there is nothing about it that would be hard to cut. I've cut much more complex pieces without trouble, and I was just a run of the mill glass cutter.

This post has been edited by aircooledboy: May 24 2005, 11:27 AM
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 24 2005, 11:31 AM
Post #27

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

I ran without a rear window this weekend.....it's glorius, I'm leaving it that way (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 24 2005, 11:40 AM
Post #28

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

f you are gonna laminate 2 widows together, I really think you'd be better off just getting a lami backglass made. I was looking at a back glass the other night, and there is nothing about it that would be hard to cut. I've cut much more complex pieces without trouble, and I was just a run of the mill glass cutter
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

We are fortunate to have a window with no complex curves. My cousin in PA has a friend that does this kind of thing, but I bet if you called a glass place in your hood, that you would find many folks willing/able to do this. It might not even be too much.
+Quote Post
ewdysar
post May 24 2005, 11:56 AM
Post #29

What happens here, stays here.

Member No.: 3,030

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) I think that the laminated window will not have much effect if that is the only sound control in the car, but if you've gone through doors, floors and 'walls, the sound through the glass will be a more noticable percentage of the overall level.

I'm still in for a pro prepped solution...

Eric
+Quote Post
DougC
post May 24 2005, 01:09 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 2,307

Aw Hell, you guys ...I never have any good ideas! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/bootyshake.gif)

Doug C
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 02:32 PM