Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BACK FOR SALE! 1972 914 1.7 $7500, Life situation has changed, has to go to help fund move
JHop
post Aug 20 2017, 08:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,685
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

1972 Porsche 914 1.7 for sale. Reduced price again for quicker sale: $7500 OBO. I was going to keep it but now I need to help fund our move and the wife says its gotta go.

Great car to drive as is with it's "patina" and minor issues, or maybe restore. IT IS NOT CLOSE TO PERFECT. West coast car, well maintained 914. Meticulous previous owner, have service records back to 1975. Yes, 1975. Every gas fill up, oil change, service, you name it. Car was a daily driver in California most of it's life, hence the high mileage: 203k, but looks and runs like 103k. Okay, maybe 153K.

NO RUST in longs, battery tray/hell hole, jack points, floor solid, a little surface rust. Car is very solid, drives great, was kept indoors all it's life. It's hard to find one this rust free and with detailed records. I am the fourth owner, bought it from a collector. He had purchased it from the second owner who owned it since 1975. It had sat for 9 years and I brought it back to life. It's not perfect, but it's a decent driver.

Car was originally gold, was repainted professionally Adriatic Blue back in the 80's. Paint is ok, has some blemishes and cracks...usual stuff for one-stage paint this old. NO major dents, etc. Car is very straight. Looks like there was a small accident ages ago in the left front. There is a litte surface rust and a VERY small (1/4")dent in the lower trunk area.

Interior:
Very clean, with some small splits in the original seats, and a small split in the rear pad.. NO CRACKS IN ORIGINAL DASH. Aftermarket speakers in doors, had aftermarket radio and 8-Track under dash that has been removed. AM Radio from a donor 914 is included. Original carpet in both front and rear trunks. Again, no rust at all in either tub. Carpet appears to be original, no rips or tears. Installed a Bluetooth module under the dash to enable you to stream music through your phone using the speakers and not a radio. It works really well.

Exterior:
Paint ok, as described. Has aftermarket period correct Baby Tornado Italian rear view mirrors. I have an original chrome driver's side mirror that will go with the car. Hella original Euro turn signals in back, Reproduction Euro turn signals in front. New H4 headlights, and aftermarket Pilot driving lights installed. Have original lights that will go with car. Chrome bumpers in excellent shape, chrome door handles nice as well. Windshield has a crack on passenger side, new tinted windshield comes with car.

Engine:
Original 1.7 motor with stock fuel injection and oil bath air cleaner. Coil, plugs, wires, points, condenser, cap, rotor all new. Fuel injectors removed and professionally refurbished. Car runs strong. Engine had complete professional rebuild @ 70K. Have invoice. Engine does leak some oil. Bursch exhaust. Does not smoke.

Transmission is original 5-Speed tail shifter. Shifts well (for a tail shifter). New bushings included in sale. ALSO INCLUDED IS A USED SIDE-SHIFT TRANSMISSION FROM A 1973 1.7. Have correct crossmember for the new transmission as well. If you don't want it, I'll sell it.

Other:
Refurbished calipers, new hoses, new master cylinder. New rear rotors, new pads all around.
Various other parts will come with the car, including a spare targa top.
All electrics working well. Headlights, fogs, etc. all operational.

The Good:
NO RUST in longs, floors, battery tray, hell hole. [u]See pics below.
Strong running, well maintained rust free 914.
Over 40 years of maintenance records.
Clean title in my name.
All electrics work fine (new headlights & fogs, dash lights, interior light, turn signals, brake lights, headlight motors, etc.)
Spare and upgraded parts included. LED dash bulbs installed, upgraded intake, Original tool kit, Original CA plates
Current Oregon plates good until 2019.
914 Workshop Manual CD and Haynes manual included.

The bad:
Higher miles, will need some paint eventually.
Oil leaks.
Needs various minor things attended to: Seats aren't perfect, Doors have speakers in them, needs steering wheel bushing, probably will need suspension work at some point, needs tires soon, back glass rattles a little, a bunch of stuff that a 45 year old car needs, but doesn't take away the fun when I drive it. It goes, it stops, windows roll up (and down), lights work, targa top fits nice and snug.

Email or PM me with offers, questions, if you are interested for more information, pics, etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I don't think you will be disappointed if you are looking for a decent running solid and honest 914 with little to no rust issues. Price is negotiable and I think fair based on the condition of the car (Excellence says $7000 for average condition). However, I am very motivated to sell so a reasonable offer won't be refused! Help get this car to a good home! Its gotta go.

Thanks for looking! More pictures below....

John

john.hoppes@outlook.com

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
burton73
post Aug 20 2017, 09:00 PM
Post #2

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

What is the price?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JHop
post Aug 20 2017, 10:52 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(burton73 @ Aug 20 2017, 08:00 PM) *

What is the price?

Whoops! $11,000. Just edited the post!

Car is currently listed on Craigslist in Portland, OR.

John
+Quote Post
JHop
post Aug 21 2017, 06:06 PM
Post #4

More Pictures...

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=617
059]Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid
=617063]Attached Image Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
stevend914
post Aug 28 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,670
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Can only drive it 4 months/year? What else is wrong with it if it can't be driven for the other 8 months?
+Quote Post
JHop
post Aug 28 2017, 04:53 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(stevend914 @ Aug 28 2017, 02:33 PM) *

Can only drive it 4 months/year? What else is wrong with it if it can't be driven for the other 8 months?

Nothing else...I wasn't thinking there was THAT much wrong with it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Illinois weather averages about 4-5 months a year for good 914 weather...if I was stating in Portland, it would be a different story. When I was in Iowa, I got about 4-5 months of driving my M Roadster...

Plus, I'm trying to keep the move costs low, etc. and won't have a great place to store it. It needs a new home, sadly.

My moving timeline may be moving up, so I'm considering reasonable offers to get it to a good home!
+Quote Post
stevend914
post Aug 30 2017, 05:03 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,670
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(JHop @ Aug 28 2017, 05:53 PM) *

Nothing else...I wasn't thinking there was THAT much wrong with it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Illinois weather averages about 4-5 months a year for good 914 weather...if I was stating in Portland, it would be a different story. When I was in Iowa, I got about 4-5 months of driving my M Roadster...

Plus, I'm trying to keep the move costs low, etc. and won't have a great place to store it. It needs a new home, sadly.

My moving timeline may be moving up, so I'm considering reasonable offers to get it to a good home!

When I lived in Kankakee I drove mine 12 months a year.
+Quote Post
JHop
post Aug 30 2017, 04:53 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(stevend914 @ Aug 30 2017, 04:03 AM) *

QUOTE(JHop @ Aug 28 2017, 05:53 PM) *

When I lived in Kankakee I drove mine 12 months a year.

I drove a convertible bug around 12 months a year in Rockford...but I don't have to do that now, and honestly don't want to. That's my point.
+Quote Post
JHop
post Sep 4 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #9

Holiday bump. $8500 OBO. Needs to go.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 8 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #10

burton73

I think a nice car BUMP.

I just do not need anymore.

More pictures of car. show more bigger shots.

Eyeball the side to see what the body looks like. Hard to tell if not in person.

Bob B
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 8 2017, 09:25 PM
Post #11

burton73

What does the battery tray look like? What does the rear trunk look like and what do the door jams look like?

If you remove the right rocker so everyone can see how clean it is with no rust. If a person does not need to weld up a 914 it is a huge deal for a lot of buyers. Battery area. You say it but show it and raise your price when you show it. Prove it and go back to $11,000. Someone can put a HP engine in this car and be in love with it.

Bob B
+Quote Post
JHop
post Sep 11 2017, 12:14 PM
Post #12

More pics via Photobucket. I'll keep adding more as I take them.

Pics show any rust where I could find it...

One small spot at the windshield corner

Have pic of driver side of trunk where there is some surface rust and a very small wrinkle where it was hit.

Check it out, and if you want more pics, just ask. Let me know if this link doesn't work.

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/jdhoppes/slideshow/
+Quote Post
JHop
post Sep 11 2017, 12:32 PM
Post #13

Pic of battery tray for reference...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JHop
post Sep 17 2017, 03:28 PM
Post #14

Pics of passenger side long underneath the rocker panel....You can see the original paint...honestly if I was going to keep it I'd maybe bring it back...it's pretty cool.

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JHop
post Sep 17 2017, 03:29 PM
Post #15

More pics

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JHop
post Sep 23 2017, 07:25 PM
Post #16

NO LONGER FOR SALE!

Gonna keep it. Thanks guys for all the advice...I like it too much to sell it and now will have a place to store it and work on it when we move...

You're not rid of me yet. Go Teeners!
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 24 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Good move really I cant understand why it didn't sell cracking deal @ that price ,good luck.
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Sep 24 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

You're going to be happy it didn't sell! That's s keeper!
+Quote Post
JHop
post Oct 6 2017, 06:51 PM
Post #19

Bump for back on sale.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
warpig
post Oct 6 2017, 07:21 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 12,002

PM sent
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:33 PM