Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time has caught up to me
shoguneagle
post Aug 22 2017, 03:18 PM
Post #1

shoguneagle

Group: Members
Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

I am in need of advice. At this stage of life I find it very difficult to ask since this involves something I have really enjoyed but have to give consideration to the real world realities.

I am considering selling my Porsche 914-Sixer which I have had as a hobby for the last 12-15 years. We have been through a lot together in building, parts location, and conversion to a 3.2 Carrera 1987 engine, a lot of new/rebuit parts, some differences in heating and cooling systems, etc. In sum it is a rolling chassis which has been brought to line, painted, and currently licensed in Oregon. It has numerous changes, additions, and improvements over the years which are to many to mention at this stage. We have even been through a theft of the car and all the parts (new and used) to complete a 916-GT. Car was recovered but the entire stock parts stockpile was stolen.

The problem is that I no longer have the deep interest in finishing the car; WHY?

Time has caught up to me in attitude, interest, health and physical aspects.

My concern is whether to sell the entire car, part it out, or just let it set in the garage. I could continue to work on it but this seems to be a little self-defeating. This dilemma requires me to seek advice. So here I am !!

What are your thoughts?

Please be open and practical; I have not said too much on this forum since I have enjoyed every aspect and gained knowledge from all the members. Frankly, I do need advice on this problem

Thanks
Steve
Shogun eagle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Aug 22 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Boy, I feel your pain. I suffered a medical event that has impacted my ability to drive and enjoy my Porsches, and it's killing me to just have them sitting in the garage. Luckily I have some good friends that are able to take them out for a bit of exercise on occasion, but I have to also consider that I may no longer be able to use them. As I'm slowly regaining some mobility, I haven't given up on the hope that I'll once again be able to enjoy them

I've even considered fitting a tow hitch to my 911 (my wife will drive that one) so we can pull a small trailer or fit a rack to carry the wheelchair I currently need. The desire remains even when the body isn't cooperating!

I wish you all the best and am sure you've been a good steward for your car whatever you decide.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 22 2017, 03:57 PM
Post #3

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Time sucks!
Getting old is not for wimps.
Sell it to a younger person with the passion to finish the project.
Enjoy life!
+Quote Post
arne
post Aug 22 2017, 04:16 PM
Post #4

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Member No.: 20,799
Region Association: None

Parting it out can often be the most profitable, but also by far the most work. If the need is to dispose of the project, parting is just a different type of project, and will take time and effort.

If you don't have the motivation to finish it, selling it as is will be the simplest path.
+Quote Post
somd914
post Aug 22 2017, 04:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Agree, growing older poses many lifestyle changes and difficult decisions. Sorry to hear about your dilemma.

Also agree with selling it. With growing interests in 914s and many seeking a six behind them rather than a four, surely there would be no shortage of potential buyers if priced realistically. Take the proceeds and put it towards something that will bring pleasure to you - another car, vacation, etc.

As for parting out, that comes with many hassles and much time invested on your part.

+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 22 2017, 04:40 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Steve -
So sorry to hear about your situation.
Pardon a blunt question but is it that you don't have interest in finishing it or is the health issue preventing you from doing it and that makes the car a reminder?

If you've truly lost interest, I'd say sell it? (not part it out)

If you'd like to see the car completed but aren't in a position to do that on your own, here's a crazy idea:

Repeat: Crazy Idea
How about finding someone(s) you trust who'd maybe be willing to assist/take over the build and help you "get 'er done!"?

I find that I enjoy the build process and that once things are done, I tend to move on to the next project. I was just telling someone today how I should just find a way to help others with their projects. I get to have all the fun without the cost of ownership!

Without anyone even hinting at any sort of commitment, I'd be willing to talk, if this sort of idea is even of interest to you. Worst case, we'll both get to know a fellow 914 fan!

Chris
+Quote Post
markhoward
post Aug 22 2017, 04:41 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,897

Not to mention that your contributions over the last 12-15 years have the potential to live on if you pass it along whole. Parting it out unravels your efforts. Ideally, the new owner would continue in a direction similar or complimentary to where you were going with it.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 22 2017, 04:49 PM
Post #8

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Like the song "Know when to hold them, know when to fold them" sell it and be done.

Parting, selling, pack and ship takes time and effort, maybe for parts not on the car.
The engine maybe is worth selling separated, but then any serious buyer of the car should know the value of a 3.2 engine alone.
The big job is to sit down, pencil and paper and come up with a dollar figure that you can live with, but at the same time is a realistic asking price.

Sometimes it's worth paying a pro to finish it to fetch better price.... and just sometimes the finished car renews your interest in it.

Really sorry that your in this spot in your life, growing old sucks.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Aug 22 2017, 05:01 PM
Post #9

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346

Wow, this really hits me hard as I get older, I am losing interested in my 914. I haven't put license plates or insurance on it the last 2-years, but I love looking at it sitting in the garage. I'll sell it if I can secretly find a seller, than buy a later model Porsche I can take to the dealer for an oil change when needed. My life is busy with other priorities and the thrill of the restoration is fading & sadly my 914 will be up for sale soon at $35K but I am having issues making the decision (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) and still in love with my 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Tom Getting old is a bitch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
db9146
post Aug 22 2017, 05:16 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,315

Steve,
it's not entirely clear whether the car is a -4 or a -6 but I'm going to assume a -4. My thoughts on your dilemma center around the completeness of the shell and the "specialness" of the parts on the car.

If you have a lot of special/new parts in the car and you can sell the remaining shell without having to replace the parts (RSR front struts, for example), then maybe selling specific high value items and then the remaking shell would optimize what you get out of it vs. selling it like it is.

Do you have any pics to post?
+Quote Post
db9146
post Aug 22 2017, 05:19 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,315

+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 22 2017, 05:26 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

My father got polio as a child and as a result of that had issues with pushing a clutch as he aged. He had a very nice driver 356sc that he sold because he couldn't drive it anymore. He went and took the profits and bought a very nice 01 boxster s with a tiptronic and squirrel ed away the rest of the money for that some day project. He now has the boxster and a 74 2.0 914 that we will eventually convert to either automatic or automatic clutch/like a sporto.. Time changes us all.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Aug 22 2017, 05:29 PM
Post #13

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387

I know it's hard to justify spending more money, but paying someone to finish it may be the answer. At least you'll have a finished product to be proud of and enjoy. Probably be easier to sell at that point if you still lack interest or are unable to enjoy it.

Good luck with whatever you decide. For some reason cars have a way of twisting our minds...
+Quote Post
worn
post Aug 22 2017, 05:37 PM
Post #14

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

Man I am not that far behind you. Especially the days when it hurts to move.

I think you are hearing a consensus. Sounds like you have a pretty complete car to sell. Unless you are in it for the money, I would sell to someone you know will use the car and carry forward your efforts. If it were me, I would take less money from the right person compared to more money from someone who is going to flip the car.

I inherited my Dad's house and sold it. It was in Seattle, so the buyer bulldozed it and built three condos on the place. Pa had put a lot of personal touches into the place. We found that there was no practical way of keeping a developer from buying, yet could not afford to keep it.

Maybe I know how you feel. It might be easier with your car though. You can wait to find a buyer who wants the car for what it is.

you have been through a lot with that car. Take care!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 22 2017, 05:45 PM
Post #15

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Hi Steve:

Very sorry to hear that news. I guess we all get there sooner or later. I would suggest you might be better able to deal with this if you sold it as is to someone with the passion to finish it and love it. Not somebody that is just going to flip it to try to make money.

I know how much effort it takes to get these projects completed and the set backs we all suffer along the way. I like the idea of taking the proceeds and buying a Porsche you just get in and turn the key and drive.

I keep telling my brother-in-law, (who is almost 70 and has bad knees and one bad ankle) he should surrender his license and sell me his 2009 Boxster S in Macadamia Brown with 15K miles with a PDK. I found the car for him and actually went and bought it for him-he paid. I then drove it back from CO to CA for him. I fell in love with the car. I would like to use it as a daily driver. He is not budging....yet.

Please don't part your baby out. That would just be rubbing salt into the wound.

Best wishes,
Michael
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Aug 22 2017, 05:46 PM
Post #16

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

If it's possible: Gather enough parts to turn it back into a super daily driver, and have a California Build Weekend. You might even toss in a little BBQ. You just might get a running driving car build in a day or 2.

You will relive the joy of driving the car! Perhaps someone close by can take you for a spin in their teener - and even let you drive it. Rekindle the Spark!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
arne
post Aug 22 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #17

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Member No.: 20,799

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 22 2017, 03:40 PM) *
If you'd like to see the car completed but aren't in a position to do that on your own, here's a crazy idea:

Repeat: Crazy Idea
How about finding someone(s) you trust who'd maybe be willing to assist/take over the build and help you "get 'er done!"?

I find that I enjoy the build process and that once things are done, I tend to move on to the next project. I was just telling someone today how I should just find a way to help others with their projects. I get to have all the fun without the cost of ownership!

Without anyone even hinting at any sort of commitment, I'd be willing to talk, if this sort of idea is even of interest to you. Worst case, we'll both get to know a fellow 914 fan!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

My wife spring that idea on me recently. My retirement hobby is finding cars that need help, refurbishing or restoring them, and then I sell them. She thinks I should offer to do this for other people - they own the car, they buy the parts, I work for free. Since I generally don't make much (if any) profit on the cars I rescue, the end result is the same.

You mentioned it has Oregon registration, if it is located here, feel free to contact me.
+Quote Post
rstover
post Aug 22 2017, 06:36 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 13,785
Region Association: Southwest Region

Before I would do anything I would just take a break from the car. Keep it if you can for a while and ignore it and do some other things. I have been working on and off on a Bumblebee for about 5 years or more. At times I have not had much interest to commit the time to cars and at other times it is what I enjoy a great deal. It seems that the 914 owners have a great deal of personal ownership in their cars. Once it is gone it impossible to get it back. Sometimes just knowing that the car is in the garage makes me feel better.
+Quote Post
My 914
post Aug 22 2017, 06:43 PM
Post #19

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Sometimes, with a little distance and perspective, you see things differently and have a change of heart.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Aug 22 2017, 06:48 PM
Post #20

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

Sometimes all it takes is a little motivation from a helper, I too hit the wall with my car, I was overwhelmed and didn't know where to start, I'd walk out into the garage look at it and give up, Rick Olah aka alien came over for a day and helped me. He told me to focus on one thing at a time. We both grabbed a door and worked on them , done. All I needed, from there on in I would pick one thing like a fender or hood and finish it. It was all down hill from there. I can't thank Rick enough, I don't think I would of finished my dream car without his help that day. I would love to hear you restored it again.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:36 PM