Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tony's Subaru Conversion Thread
scotty914
post Jun 26 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #101

suby torque rules

Group: Members
Member No.: 924

the purge valve is on the engine harnes. the way it worked was the pressure sensor work thru a swotching solinoid that read intake pressure and atmosphereic pressure which were on the body harness. there where two valves on the engine one was the egr control the other is a purge valve for the tank fumes

at least this is how it si on pre 00 miles
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jul 28 2005, 02:16 AM
Post #102

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

Slowly but surely I've been making progress. The metal work on the car has slowed down a bit but in its place, the electrical work has progressed.

I finished the replacement for my relay board. It has a 5-position fuse block and three relays. One for system power, and two for each of the two radiator fans. There is room for a 4th relay for a heater blower, but that is an upgrade I will make when the time comes.

The new relay board is built inside of a weatherproof plastic housing with a hinged transparent lid. The box will mount to the side of the engine bay where the old relay board would sit. The box lid will open down for easy access to replace fuses or relays. I still need to drill a hole in the bottom for the wiring to go through and the large gray plastic Anderson Power conenctor will possibly be mounted on the bottom of the box. This connects to the alternator cable.

+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jul 28 2005, 02:17 AM
Post #103

That's my ride.

oops. forgot the picture...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jul 28 2005, 02:17 AM
Post #104

That's my ride.

The guts.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jul 28 2005, 02:22 AM
Post #105

That's my ride.

The next piece I have been working on isn't quite finished yet, but is close enough for some progress to be reported.

This box will sit on top of the ECU and simulate various sensors. The resistors are not in place, but the PCB is wired up and mounted to the housing. The PCB is unusual in color - white. Thats because the PCB is some scrap (expensive) ceramic/PTFE material that I had laying around. No particualr reason that its any better or worse for this application.

The housing is another piece of scrap. It once housed some kind of predistortion circuit for a microwave amplifier and probably cost more than what many of us payed for our 914s. Its a lovely chunk of hogged out and chem-filmed aluminum. The plastic lid I made myself.

There's a red LED indicator inside to show that the power supply for the sensors is active.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
turbo914v8
post Jul 28 2005, 05:09 AM
Post #106

Member No.: 952

Just curious, what sensors did you have to simulate. We are all enjoying your progress reports, Great project.
+Quote Post
mongrel-gs
post Jul 28 2005, 05:58 AM
Post #107

Member No.: 3,194

That sure is a nice system for the relays and such!
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jul 28 2005, 06:08 AM
Post #108

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

How have I been missing this thread?

Awesome work...I'm taking notes!
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jul 28 2005, 10:21 AM
Post #109

That's my ride.

Okay, so I will be simulating the following sensors..

Fuel level sender (0.12 to 4.95 volts)
Fuel Temp sender (2.5 to 3.8 volts)
Fuel Tank Pressure sender (2.3 to 2.7 volts)
Rear O2 sensor signal (0 - 0.9 volts)
Neutral position sensor (+12 in neutral, 0 when in gear)
Rear O2 heater sensor signal (0-1.0 volts)
Power Steering oil pressure sender (open/close)

There may be one more, I'm still finalizing the wiring...

Most of these wil use small 10-turn potentiometers to set the desired signal voltage, but I may end up using real metal-film resistors in the end, as they are a bit more reliable.

-Tony

+Quote Post
phantom914
post Jul 28 2005, 11:18 AM
Post #110

non-914-owner non-club member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,708

QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Jul 28 2005, 08:21 AM)
...................., but I may end up using real metal-film resistors in the end, as they are a bit more reliable.

-Tony

Yes, please don't use the fake metal-film resistors, even though the low price may be tempting.

Andrew
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jul 28 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #111

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Jul 28 2005, 12:17 AM)
oops. forgot the picture...

Cool! With just a few minor tweeks you can make it look like the 'flux capacitor'. (Not making fun. I think it's great.)
-Ben M.
(IMG:http://www.bfcoulombe.com/flux20.jpg)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jul 28 2005, 02:24 PM
Post #112

That's my ride.

You know, Bondo mentioned that to me, that the box looks like a flux capacitor. Maybe I should put a label on it that says "Warning! Do Not Exceed 88 mph"

Making a gullwing 914 would be an interesting challenge. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)

-Tony
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jul 28 2005, 02:41 PM
Post #113

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

the power steering pressure is not nessesary to fake it only closes when it loses pressure. but what you could do to make use of it is to connect it to a thermostat set at about 215 degrees, that way you get the extra signal ( cel ) if your temp goes high.

i also think you are going over board on the resisitor thing just intragrate them in to the harness
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jul 28 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #114

That's my ride.

i also think you are going over board on the resisitor thing just intragrate them in to the harness

I am absolutely going overboard (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

But then I wouldn't do it any other way.

-Tony
+Quote Post
Kostamojen
post Jul 30 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 4,504

Wow, nice work!

I'm a long time NASIOC member, and have a '95 Impreza with an MY2000 EJ25 conversion so this is a great read (Ive been looking at 914 stuff lately cause of the posts recently on NASIOC about the Renegage conversion, and the fact there is a 914 thats been forsale for like a year around the corner from my house (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/tongue.gif) ) That sensor simulator is a great piece, if you manage to get it to simulate both 02 sensors you can have alot of fun with the exhaust design (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)

I was wondering if anyone has thought about using a cowel induction style intake with the N/A scoob motors on the 914's... There was a I-club member awhile back who had one using a PRM style intake filter, might be a neat idea for the swap.

As far as engine mounts go, I was curious whether you would be using the Subaru mounts or just bolting directly to your fabricated mount...

For everyone else looking into Subaru swaps, there are ALOT of very new very cheap motors (usually JDM imports) showing up now, vendors usually are selling them on the forums. Keep an eye out here if you are shopping for one: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112 (Gruppe-S still has a brand new EZ30-R motor for ~$1500, the 250hp/215ft-lbs H6 from the new legacies, which gives me wicked ideas for a 914 conversion since it still uses the same motor mounts and such as the EJ motors... But I still think a verison 8 STI motor with its 8k redline combined with a high strung turbo would be a great motor for 914 but I dont think the tranny will take it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon8.gif) )
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jul 31 2005, 10:40 AM
Post #116

That's my ride.

Welcome to the 914club!

Regardnig the sensor simulator, I won't be simulating the front O2 sensor. That is used by the ECU to run the enigne, whereas the second sensor is there just to verify the cat is working. Since I'm not going to be running a cat, I have to simulate the second sensor.

Don't really know what a Cowell induction is...

For the engine mount, I will be using the Subaru rubber engine mounts, which will be bolted to a roughly U-shaped bar which cradles the engine.

That EZ30 engine sounds like a great engine for a 914. I wonder if you could still fit it in the engine bay with the radiator back there. If so, that would be THE killer setup.

-Tony
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jul 31 2005, 01:37 PM
Post #117

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Tony... Tone... Toni... YOU ARE A NUT!

How cool is that!? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

I swear, we don't even need cars to start with, we just need aluminum Chinese made copies, and the upper 2% of the club's brain trust to come up with awesome hardware to fill the holes with.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

M
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Jul 31 2005, 02:52 PM
Post #118

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/hijacked.gif) Hmmm, first time i've used that emoticon.. fun.

Miles,
I just followed your sig link Which lead me to another link.

Website dedicated to busting pervs.
Sick old pervs flirt with 14 YO girls on AOL chat, offer to pay them a visit or they visit the guys, and then nail them with the help from the cops. How cool is that?
"Want some candy?"... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
Kostamojen
post Aug 4 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #119

Member No.: 4,504

QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Jul 31 2005, 08:40 AM)
Welcome to the 914club!

Regardnig the sensor simulator, I won't be simulating the front O2 sensor. That is used by the ECU to run the enigne, whereas the second sensor is there just to verify the cat is working. Since I'm not going to be running a cat, I have to simulate the second sensor.

Don't really know what a Cowell induction is...

For the engine mount, I will be using the Subaru rubber engine mounts, which will be bolted to a roughly U-shaped bar which cradles the engine.

That EZ30 engine sounds like a great engine for a 914. I wonder if you could still fit it in the engine bay with the radiator back there. If so, that would be THE killer setup.

-Tony

The cowel induction intake I mentioned was a little side project from a NASIOC member from a long time ago: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=intake Upon looking more at the 914 engine bay, it might not be a super great idea, but I'm curious now about what kind of intake designs people are doing with the scoobie engines...

As for the engine mounts, you might want to look into at least upgrading to STI engine mounts: http://www.rallispec.com/sub_drivemt.htm
Its not super expensive, but it may eliminate some concerns you have about engine movement. I mention this cause I saw that the other engine mount pic posted by Turbo914v8 and it looks like those might be the Group N mounts ($$$, also on that Rallispec page)

I dont think the radiator will fit in the engine bay with the EZ30, it is a tad bit longer than an EJ motor (But not THAT much longer, it fits in Impreza engine bays just fine)
+Quote Post
Burg
post Aug 7 2005, 04:26 AM
Post #120

Member No.: 4,549

Hello, just a simple question from a newbie. If you do a suby conversion and you want to go turbo, which one would you prefer:

1. 2.0 WRX single turbo
2. 2.0 WRX STI twin turbo
3. 2.5 WRX STI single turbo

What do you think?

Burg
+Quote Post

29 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:33 PM